The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Likely to push for Gardiner on July 1st

Irfaan Gaffar has been filling in for Alex Auld on Canucks Central at noon and mentioned that the Canucks will make a push to sign Jake Gardiner on July 1st. The contract offer could be around 5-6 years. 

I thought it would be a good time to post this here and get your feedback about signing Jake Gardiner. Does this mean we trade Hutton or Juolevi? How much would you be willing to pay him?

I personally hope we try and sign Karlsson but if that doesn't happen then I think Gardiner is a good B option. Let me know your thoughts!

Edited by buddyguy
  • Haha 1

Well if this is true how can they be serious about extending Edler unless they know Edler won't be back. 

Would make absolutely no sense unless Hutton is gone and they have no faith in Juolevi and would need both Edler and Gardiner next year.  

EDIT: Wonder if they are planning on playing Hughes on the RD side?

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If this is true then that likely means that Edler is not coming back so Benning will have to sign a UFA Dman to make up the difference...

Only thing I can think of, even then it’s not like we couldn’t live without a replacement like Gardiner. Already have excess of LHD.

Imo go big or go home. Our right side is weak so go all in for Erik Karlsson. I’m not too sure about these fringe 2nd pair guys who will be classic cases of UFA overpays and whatnot.

• Upvote 1

Hmm, rumours to bring in a top 4 LD. Could this persuade Edler to accept what Benning's offering? I'm assuming Edler wants term (5 years?) and a NMC, so maybe he settles for 3 years with a NTC? Edler really wants to stay in VAN. But even if he's claimed by the Butt Kracken it's a short drive home.

But back to Gardiner. I never realized how many points he gets, but from the games I've watched, he makes quite a few mistakes. My first thought was no, not a fan. He could be expensive (salary and term) and if he doesn't produce in Vancouver, then his contract could become an anchor. Then again, TOR could be going to the 2nd round and he'll have played a part. I'm really going to have to watch his play tonight, I haven't paid close enough attention.  I think they need a RD more, especially if they re-sign Edler. 

8 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Only thing I can think of, even then it’s not like we couldn’t live without a replacement like Gardiner. Already have excess of LHD.

Imo go big or go home. Our right side is weak so go all in for Erik Karlsson. I’m not too sure about these fringe 2nd pair guys who will be classic cases of UFA overpays and whatnot.

I don't want us to sign Gardiner personally.  I'd rather go with Myers on the right side.  We do have enough left D even without Edler.  

I don't think Karlsson is an option at this point.  $11 miilion over 7 years is what it will take and most likely he re-signs with San Jose. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't want us to sign Gardiner personally.  I'd rather go with Myers on the right side.  We do have enough left D even without Edler.  

I don't think Karlsson is an option at this point.  $11 miilion over 7 years is what it will take and most likely he re-signs with San Jose. 

Even Myers, in the same sort of boat as Gardiner me thinks.

Advanced stats show they are very overrated as well for the price tag they’ll command come July1

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Even Myers, in the same sort of boat as Gardiner me thinks.

Advanced stats show they are very overrated as well for the price tag they’ll command come July1

Most UFA's will be overpaid, we have one on the team right now.  It's the nature of the beast.  You get someone for free but you have to overpay to get him.  Myers at least has size and strength and can kill penalties so he could be a 3rd pairing guy towards the end of his contract.  Gardiner is either in your top 4 or he's out of the game, so a better risk with Myers.  But I would agree that both players will be overpaid this summer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

would much rather retain as much cap moving forward to use on younger players

if nucks are minded to draft a higher end dman this offseason and he pans out

then if all things fall into place, we'd have that dman, hughes, joulevi, and woo as our very young upcoming d core

we also have stetcher and hutton under club control..  not sure we need to pay for an expensive long term ufa d contract

i think a trade for a young upside dman makes more sense

i appreciate this will cost an asset

but salary cap issues are going to be a very big problem in the near future

look at toronto, black hawks, tampa, etc

• Upvote 3