The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Likely to push for Gardiner on July 1st

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm certainly a bit more hesitant on EK now as well. He is a bigger need, but what he may command and if he can't stay healthy, then it becomes pointless. I still could care less about Myers though and think he's going to be overpaid for his value. As for Gardiner, if he takes like a 3 year deal, then sure, but I'm not really sure where he would fit unless Edler isn't coming back and even then Gardiner is certainly no replacement for Edler. So this would be precedent to move Hutton IMO, but even with this said I rather keep an opening for Juolevi to maybe get a look (perhaps that's for when the inevitable Edler injury comes though).

With all this said, I'm not too fond of the UFA market for dmen this year. My interest in Panarin has gone way up though. If it means adding Bobrovsky as well if they want to come as a package, then so be it and we may find a decent trade with Markstrom.

I keep hearing whispers how the Canucks plan to use Hughes on the right. I'm no huge Gardiner proponent but we could do worse than something like:

Edler, UFA/trade/Tanev (prefer to see him moved)

Gardiner, Hughes (PP and Ozone starts galore!)

Hutton, Stecher

Then when Juolevi is ready/we're healthy, move Hutton for other pieces.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

On 4/17/2019 at 11:25 PM, oldnews said:

good ideas imo - older stabilizing support veterans on shorter term deals imo is a better option than chasing big fish.

Schenn and Elder are going to be that already IMO   

The biggest hinderance to team success is moving the puck up ice and having d men that contribute on the score sheet.  

That said, EK is too much and if a RHD can be added like Myers, trading Tanev can offset the cost.  

• Cheers 1

On 4/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, Phat Fingers said:

Schenn and Elder are going to be that already IMO   

The biggest hinderance to team success is moving the puck up ice and having d men that contribute on the score sheet.  

That said, EK is too much and if a RHD can be added like Myers, trading Tanev can offset the cost.  

Edler is not enough.

And Schenn is not a player that should be projected in the lineup at this point - if he is in the fall, the team has had an unfortunate summer imo.  Not intending to take anything away from his admirable placeholding to end the season, but the poster I was responding to was naming players like Hainsey, Bouwmeester - on very short team deals - and wadr to Schenn, he's simply not in the same field as players like Hainsey, Methot.... If the goal is to improve the lineup, provide the right complementary players for the youth, not hamstring their future and limit their cap flexibility moving forward - the ideas that poster came up with are better than the idea of relying on Schenn - that is unless people are already prepared to concede next season to a lottery pick.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Sure hope we have an experienced new president of hockey operations (aka Jim’s replacement next summer) before ufa time so we don’t have to watch the benning ufa disaster show again. Same goes with trades.... 5th times the charm. 

Let other teams over spend for under performers. Myers karson Gardner....... Jimmie will over pay edler as it stands so why get more than one guy you’ll regret signing. Edler will return to edler form next season with a new contract in his pocket back to the player who looks like he could careless most nights. 

One more season of blunder Jim Benning. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

8 minutes ago, combover said:

Sure hope we have an experienced new president of hockey operations (aka Jim’s replacement next summer) before ufa time so we don’t have to watch the benning ufa disaster show again. Same goes with trades.... 5th times the charm. 

Let other teams over spend for under performers. Myers karson Gardner....... Jimmie will over pay edler as it stands so why get more than one guy you’ll regret signing. Edler will return to edler form next season with a new contract in his pocket back to the player who looks like he could careless most nights. 

If JB does actually sign Gardiner to a crazy contract, then I’ll move to the “Dark Side”.  

13 minutes ago, combover said:

I hope benning gives Gardiner 12m per season and the captaincy 

Our defense needs to create more offense, sure... but am I crazy in thinking we need more help DEFENDING than just producing offense from the backend?

Gardiner is not what this team needs, at all.

I don't want Myers either, but at least he's closer to what we need. Size and strength to clear the crease, and a long stick to get in lanes. 
Bring back Tryamkin instead. 

• Like 1

They were talking about trading for PK Subban on 650 this morning. He has 3 years at around $9M per remaining on his contract. Nashville will likely want to shake things up a bit this offseason and Subban is a prime candidate. That 3rd year might be a little tricky given EP and QH will be up for new contracts in 2 years. So it's a bold move but JB is certainly going to make 1 or 2 of them, given his job is likely on the line. I'd hate to see what a potential return for PK would look like but I'd rather PK over Myers or Gardiner. 

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

If JB does actually sign Gardiner to a crazy contract, then I’ll move to the “Dark Side”.  

oh come on you're already there :lol:

but yeah all this Gardiner talk has to stop. Sometimes he makes a decent pass. Theres too many games I've seen he does something, lazy, stupid or just isn't where he's supposed to be to make a play. Not to mention he hasn't been any kind of difference maker this playoffs. There's a reason Babcock hasn't even played him 16 min per night. 

He's a buyout waiting to happen. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

They were talking about trading for PK Subban on 650 this morning. He has 3 years at around $9M per remaining on his contract. Nashville will likely want to shake things up a bit this offseason and Subban is a prime candidate. That 3rd year might be a little tricky given EP and QH will be up for new contracts in 2 years. So it's a bold move but JB is certainly going to make 1 or 2 of them, given his job is likely on the line. I'd hate to see what a potential return for PK would look like but I'd rather PK over Myers or Gardiner. 

I'd gladly take him for the right price but at this point he has to be viewed at least somewhat as a 'cap dump' (albeit a high quality one). Not sure what they'd want in return but I'm not giving up and major pieces of youth for him if that's what they're looking for. Something like Tanev & Sutter could certainly help a contending team though, otherwise another team can have him IMO.

There's also the question of how well his (BIG) personality would fit in the room with stoic Swedes and good'ol Canadian farm boy Horvat...

Edler, Subban

Hutton, Stecher

Hughes, Stralman

...sure would be an improvement though.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd gladly take him for the right price but at this point he has to be viewed at least somewhat as a 'cap dump' (albeit a high quality one). Not sure what they'd want in return but I'm not giving up and major pieces of youth for him if that's what they're looking for. Something like Tanev & Sutter could certainly help a contending team though, otherwise another team can have him IMO.

There's also the question of how well his (BIG) personality would fit in the room with stoic Swedes and good'ol Canadian farm boy Horvat...

Edler, Subban

Hutton, Stecher

Hughes, Stralman

...sure would be an improvement though.

not well, potentially. Or just fine. Its hard to know. I don't buy into him being the sole issue in Montreal one bit and he's just fine in Nashville. 

But with only 3 years left on his deal its worth the risk as you say at the right price, but I have to think Nashville wants a pretty major youth piece in return. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not well, potentially. Or just fine. Its hard to know. I don't buy into him being the sole issue in Montreal one bit and he's just fine in Nashville. 

But with only 3 years left on his deal its worth the risk as you say at the right price, but I have to think Nashville wants a pretty major youth piece in return. 

Yeah I have no idea. And by no means did i mean to suggest he's a 'problem' (ie: 'cancer') but he IS a BIG personality to absorb.

Otherwise agree, he'd be a solid add but I'm not sure we'd want to pay their asking price or compete with other team's offers. If we can snag him for a reasonable price, by all means, but I'm not derailing the rebuild to add him.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah I have no idea. And by no means did i mean to suggest he's a 'problem' (ie: 'cancer') but he IS a BIG personality to absorb.

Otherwise agree, he'd be a solid add but I'm not sure we'd want to pay their asking price or compete with other team's offers. If we can snag him for a reasonable price, by all means, but I'm not derailing the rebuild to add him.

I would imagine the conversation begins with our 2020 1st, a roster d and a kid with scoring potential. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I would imagine the conversation begins with our 2020 1st, a roster d and a kid with scoring potential. 

Yeah, and not interested :lol:

By all means, if they want Tanev, Sutter and maybe even a B prospect, I'd look at it. And they'd be solid adds for a team in a contention window, be a wash on cap etc. Otherwise I'm looking elsewhere... like a far cheaper trade acquisition the likes of Ceci out of OTT. Though granted, he's no P.K.

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah, and not interested :lol:

By all means, if they want Tanev, Sutter and maybe even a B prospect, I'd look at it. And they'd be solid adds for a team in a contention window, be a wash on cap etc. Otherwise I'm looking elsewhere... like a far cheaper trade acquisition the likes of Ceci out of OTT. Though granted, he's no P.K.

yeah sorry I should have added that part :P

I guess we can get a read off how much Jim liked him, since PL Dubois was in play for the trade, so at the least that gives us some sense of what it would take for the major pieces. I don't see how it doesn't include the 2020 1st, we don't have the C depth on the farm to even come close to that. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah sorry I should have added that part :P

I guess we can get a read off how much Jim liked him, since PL Dubois was in play for the trade, so at the least that gives us some sense of what it would take for the major pieces. I don't see how it doesn't include the 2020 1st, we don't have the C depth on the farm to even come close to that. 

I don't think he'd cost that much anymore. Less years remaining on contract, older, probably closer to a 1B/2A than the #1 he was etc. And again, I'd be viewing it at least a bit like a (high quality) cap dump. I'm not paying 2016/PLD prices nor do I think he'd command them.

Edited by aGENT

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think he'd cost that much anymore. Less years remaining on contract, older, probably closer to a 1B/2A than the #1 he was etc. And again, I'd be viewing it at least a bit like a (high quality) cap dump. I'm not paying 2016/PLD prices nor do I think he'd command them.

maybe from teams who have an extra Montour or younger established d man. But thats not us, we'd have to cough up that 1st. 

Interesting idea, probably goes nowhere.