The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Likely to push for Gardiner on July 1st

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe from teams who have an extra Montour or younger established d man. But thats not us, we'd have to cough up that 1st. 

Interesting idea, probably goes nowhere. 

If they do, why would they trade a guy entering his prime for a (far more expensive) one exiting his?

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

If they do, why would they trade a guy entering his prime for a (far more expensive) one exiting his?

maybe they need something on the right side and are stacked on the left? dunno. just threw a name out there.

you could be right... the price may have reduced. I just don't see who we have that makes it possible. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'd gladly take him for the right price but at this point he has to be viewed at least somewhat as a 'cap dump' (albeit a high quality one). Not sure what they'd want in return but I'm not giving up and major pieces of youth for him if that's what they're looking for. Something like Tanev & Sutter could certainly help a contending team though, otherwise another team can have him IMO.

There's also the question of how well his (BIG) personality would fit in the room with stoic Swedes and good'ol Canadian farm boy Horvat...

Edler, Subban

Hutton, Stecher

Hughes, Stralman

...sure would be an improvement though.

Personally, I don't see Nashville being interested in Sutter, but Tanev could be a starting point in discussions. IMO, Nashville is going to want to free up significant cap space, so if Tanev were included in a deal, I think we'd need to add prospects. Would Tyler Madden be enough? Probably not. For that reason, we may be wise to stay away. Listening to 650 this morning, one fan propsed Hutton, Virtanen and a 2020 1st. Personally, that 2020 1st is off the table for me, but you never know given Bennings contract status. If it was Hutton, Virtanen and a 2020 2nd, I'd do it.

10 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Personally, I don't see Nashville being interested in Sutter, but Tanev could be a starting point in discussions. IMO, Nashville is going to want to free up significant cap space, so if Tanev were included in a deal, I think we'd need to add prospects. Would Tyler Madden be enough? Probably not. For that reason, we may be wise to stay away. Listening to 650 this morning, one fan propsed Hutton, Virtanen and a 2020 1st. Personally, that 2020 1st is off the table for me, but you never know given Bennings contract status. If it was Hutton, Virtanen and a 2020 2nd, I'd do it.

I'd do Hutton + but I'd rather keep Virtanen (and Madden for that matter :lol:)

Like Jimmy, I doubt it's in the cards for us to get him.

Edited by aGENT

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:05 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

For all those who don't want to sign Gardiner, why not? We're not replacing anyone in the system with him, we're adding depth to our fragile blueline.

The reason we lost out on the playoffs this season was injuries to our defence and lack of depth. Tanev going down, the team sustained a bit of pressure and played alright but with Edler out the team was resigned to 4 AHL defencemen and we dropped right out of playoff contention. 

Adding a young-veteran like Gardiner now with playoff experience for nothing would be a genius move and give us QUALITY depth. Something we haven't had for a while on the blueline. You realistically need 7 NHL-calibre defencemen to grind out the entire season + playoffs and we honestly had about 4 or 5 last season. Next season with Hughes and Juolevi possibly coming up (although I think Juolevi will split the season in Utica), we have a bit more, but even then we can't afford having a guy like Biega or Pouliot playing 20 minutes because that is what killed this team.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Gardiner - Hutton

Juolevi

Pouliot

Biega

That's the sort of depth we need, we need to be thinking "what will our defence look with 2 top-4 guys out". Realistically this team is going to have to play long stretches next season without a couple of their top defencemen, and Gardiner is someone who can fill that void nicely, whereas Biega and Pouliot simply are not. Gardiner has been playing against far better forwards as well in the East compared to our AHL defencemen who were eaten alive when they had to play in our top-4.

Yes, Gardiner and Hutton would be an adventure and he primarily plays the left side, but if we can get some flexibility on the handedness (ideally young guys play their natural position and Gardiner switch to the right occasionally) then he'd be the perfect fit. Puck moving, big bodied defenceman who's still young with some decent experience on a very good team. 

Lock him down 5-6M for 5-6 years, he'll help the transition from Edler --> Hughes and Juolevi quite nicely as a nice in-between stage and age defenceman. Obviously Myers or Karlsson would be nice but let's not kid ourselves on where we are...

LHD > Edler, Hughes, Hutton Juolevi, maybe Tryamkin, Brisbois, Sautner...

And Gardiner has never looked good on his off side, which Toronto tried. Which has been true of Canuck LHD in semi recent years, Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison...

He's not a bad player. Just not what we need...

We need a RHD like Gardiner! 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

which numbers? 

After watching the Boston leafa series I take back my stance on not being upset if we signed gardiner.

not impressed at all with his performance.

if we signed him or Myers to big money term deal I’ll cry 

• Cheers 1

On 4/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, coastal.view said:

would much rather retain as much cap moving forward to use on younger players

if nucks are minded to draft a higher end dman this offseason and he pans out

then if all things fall into place, we'd have that dman, hughes, joulevi, and woo as our very young upcoming d core

we also have stetcher and hutton under club control..  not sure we need to pay for an expensive long term ufa d contract

i think a trade for a young upside dman makes more sense

i appreciate this will cost an asset

but salary cap issues are going to be a very big problem in the near future

look at toronto, black hawks, tampa, etc

Agreed, beyond a D trade I think the team is better off taking one year flyers on some high risk, high reward types. Let the young group evolve into who they are going to be and then add the right pieces.....the right pieces aren't available this year.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

After watching the Boston leafa series I take back my stance on not being upset if we signed gardiner.

not impressed at all with his performance.

if we signed him or Myers to big money term deal I’ll cry 

I think I could live with Myers better since we need RHD.... but I really dont want either one