The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Likely to push for Gardiner on July 1st

I'd question this as even plausible, but who knows without the exact quote. If it was "someone like Gardiner" then maybe but I don't think he'd be a prime target based on what we already have. He's certainly not a buy low reclamation project and we don't need veteran leadership (not that Gardiner brings much in this respect anyway). If they think they can't get Edler - and I can't think of a reason why we wouldn't, he wants to be here and isn't likely to be asking for so much that we can't afford it after negotiation - or have some other players leaving where we'd need the help, then maybe.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

There also always seems to be a CDC trend to maginify flaws on players who don’t play for us.

Remember when Schenn was the slowest skater in the league and was garbage?

Turns out he isn’t that slow and is a serviceable 3rd pairing/depth guy who brings physicality.

We have to look at all options for our D so it looks nothing like what it did for the last few seasons.  

Meh. If we have to use Schenn as a 3rd pairing or better D for a full season we'll see his deficiencies magnified. He is slow but thankfully that's mitigated by Hughes drawing a lot of attention and being very effective with his skating and mobility. Toronto moved on from him and then Philly, and then he couldn't find a spot with the Kings, Coyotes or Ducks, so it wasn't just a bad situation or needing a fresh start.

He definitely has worked on picking up his physical game as a way to bring value in the NHL though. Hopefully he's not the default 5th/6th defenceman and it breeds a little competition.

But back to Gardiner, as a UFA and considering what he'd be asking for, he's very unlikely to be a good signing considering who we already have and his strengths and deficiencies.

Edited by elvis15

1 hour ago, khay said:

Don't think it's a good idea.

I think if JB can sign either Karlsson or Panarin, his chance of getting an extension will go up a lot.

JB has not hit any homerun yet when it comes to UFA signings. 

depends how you score things

vanek signing was good

he played really well for us

and his value was enhanced by trading him at the tdl

for motte, who is a player and a free asset

so i guess we have to call this one a solid triple ?

5 hours ago, Odd. said:

Why???!??!?!?! He's so bad I don't care if he puts up points. This guy cannot defend.

That’s Joulevi right now with the difference being he can still develop into more of a well rounded D as he’s still a prospect.   Gardiner is what he is at his age.

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

NO ??? Explain yourself??

Ceci 25, 6'2 plays on a very bad time plays 22:34mins per game ..

GP 74 - G 7  PTS 26 Playing against other teams top line??

My friend is a season ticket holder in Ottawa and he likes Ceci..

I don't think you have watched him play.... 

Don't no why I am replying back to a guy that can't explain himself and has never watched Ceci play.........lol  lol  lol  

I wasn't replying to you bruh....

Btw how old are you?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

After scorching the earth, need a competent Gardiner? it's possibly more evolved that David Booth's hunter-gatherer, questionable approach.

5 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

You were searching for a competant Gardener?

TMpalgp_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Then just bring back Pouliot?   :lol:

Look, Hughes and Juolevi may already make Hutton redundant. Who improved. But is still in that grey area where there is no big trade return. Maybe forms valuable depth.

If we get to the point Hutton is our 4th LHD, its actually a pretty good space! 

True. But I'm pretty sure Hutton will not be ok with sitting out games. Either he plays in the top 6 or the Canucks part ways with him.

6 hours ago, Odd. said:

Why???!??!?!?! He's so bad I don't care if he puts up points. This guy cannot defend.

Do you watch him play or is this based on the goat game from last years playoffs.  Strange thing Gardiner is out for twenty games and the leafs can’t buy a win at the end of the year.  He’s TOs Edler, the fans want and expect more of him but he just never got there, doesn’t make him a bad defenseman.  And they surely missed him this Spring.

• Upvote 1

Oh god.... cue the made up stories of potential trades and signings and blah blah blah (especially players to do with Toronto).

Perhaps I'm just getting old or something and grow tired to media just trying to attention grab.....

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Do you watch him play or is this based on the goat game from last years playoffs.  Strange thing Gardiner is out for twenty games and the leafs can’t buy a win at the end of the year.  He’s TOs Edler, the fans want and expect more of him but he just never got there, doesn’t make him a bad defenseman.  And they surely missed him this Spring.

Are you watching Toronto and Boston play right now? 

See for yourself. He's Pouliot like in his own zone.

• Cheers 2