The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Likely to push for Gardiner on July 1st

13 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Good way to nudge Edler towards signing ! There's probably only room for one of them. Real or a bluff ?

Iain My Intyre mentioned during the season ending press conference that there was a delay in getting the extension with Edler done before the trade deadline and asked Edler about the reason. I propose that you watch that Video and pay special attention to Edler's response, especially at Edler's last sentence.

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Iain My Intyre mentioned during the season ending press conference that there was a delay in getting the extension with Edler done before the trade deadline and asked Edler about the reason. I propose that you watch that Video and pay special attention to Edler's response, especially at Edler's last sentence.

Can't find the link.

For all those who don't want to sign Gardiner, why not? We're not replacing anyone in the system with him, we're adding depth to our fragile blueline.

The reason we lost out on the playoffs this season was injuries to our defence and lack of depth. Tanev going down, the team sustained a bit of pressure and played alright but with Edler out the team was resigned to 4 AHL defencemen and we dropped right out of playoff contention. 

Adding a young-veteran like Gardiner now with playoff experience for nothing would be a genius move and give us QUALITY depth. Something we haven't had for a while on the blueline. You realistically need 7 NHL-calibre defencemen to grind out the entire season + playoffs and we honestly had about 4 or 5 last season. Next season with Hughes and Juolevi possibly coming up (although I think Juolevi will split the season in Utica), we have a bit more, but even then we can't afford having a guy like Biega or Pouliot playing 20 minutes because that is what killed this team.

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Tanev

Gardiner - Hutton

Juolevi

Pouliot

Biega

That's the sort of depth we need, we need to be thinking "what will our defence look with 2 top-4 guys out". Realistically this team is going to have to play long stretches next season without a couple of their top defencemen, and Gardiner is someone who can fill that void nicely, whereas Biega and Pouliot simply are not. Gardiner has been playing against far better forwards as well in the East compared to our AHL defencemen who were eaten alive when they had to play in our top-4.

Yes, Gardiner and Hutton would be an adventure and he primarily plays the left side, but if we can get some flexibility on the handedness (ideally young guys play their natural position and Gardiner switch to the right occasionally) then he'd be the perfect fit. Puck moving, big bodied defenceman who's still young with some decent experience on a very good team. 

Lock him down 5-6M for 5-6 years, he'll help the transition from Edler --> Hughes and Juolevi quite nicely as a nice in-between stage and age defenceman. Obviously Myers or Karlsson would be nice but let's not kid ourselves on where we are...

Funny, Gardiner is over-rated in media because of the Toronto factor and under-rated here because of the Toronto factor.  If Edler comes back this makes no sense.  If Edler comes back I think it is time to sell high on Hutton as we have some decent young guys coming on the left side.  Sautner looks ready to take on a depth role, Hughes is looking to slot in second and still have OJ who will likely spend half a season in Utica. 

If we are going to spend in UFA should be on the right side or cautiously on the wing.  

Really makes little sense to spend UFA money on centre, left D or goal, that is where we have organizational depth.  We should be leveraging these positions and our cap space to fill the other gaps.

13 hours ago, coastal.view said:

depends how you score things

vanek signing was good

he played really well for us

and his value was enhanced by trading him at the tdl

for motte, who is a player and a free asset

so i guess we have to call this one a solid triple ?

IMO, I think it's a single, maybe a double at best. He helped Boeser out quite a bit as well and as you say, gave us Motte. It is a good signing but Boeser is good with or without Vanek and Motte is a useful player but finding a player like him isn't too difficult. 

A triple would be signing a solid top 6 or top 4D that can help us become a playoff team. Homerun would be signing a superstar calibre player. Erik Karlsson or Panarin would fit that bill in this UFA market.

But as you say, depends on how you score things. I think JB has had small successes like Vanek, Beagle, Roussel. These guys are singles in my opinion. It advances your team in some areas in small to medium ways so that you can build on it.  If anything, I would count Vrbata as a double if he didn't tail off so much in the second year as he scored 30+ goals, and helped us to the playoffs. Eriksson, if he is scoring 20-30 goals consistently would be a double or a triple... At this point, he looks like a double play. 

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Would you be able to post what Edler said?

I wouldn't be surprised if Edler isn't back next season. A 33-year-old defenceman probably wants to maximize his income as this may be his last contract.

Edler is underrated here but he is a legitimate top 3D in almost any team in the NHL. I bet he goes to Tampa if they can fit him in. Playing behind Hedman will ease his load as well.

if Gardiner was worth it, TOR would have saved some $ for him and not picked up Muzzin.. 

I would suggest we have a younger cheaper Gardiner with a way higher ceiling and no baggage in Q Hughes. 

I would be shocked and dismayed if he becomes a Canuck. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

if Gardiner was worth it, TOR would have saved some $ for him and not picked up Muzzin.. 

I would suggest we have a younger cheaper Gardiner with a way higher ceiling and no baggage in Q Hughes. 

I would be shocked and dismayed if he becomes a Canuck. 

Only high cost coming UFA the Canucks should have interest in is EK.  He’s worth the dollars he will command.  The rest will be way over paid for what they bring.  

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

For all those who don't want to sign Gardiner, why not? We're not replacing anyone in the system with him, we're adding depth to our fragile blueline.

and you want to make it.. more fragile?

Why no Gardiner? 

He's not a good goal scorer. Career high of 9 - 3 years ago. Otherwise he scores goals at a Stecher-like rate.  Yes he has years with decent assist numbers but nothing we don't already have in Edler, who scores more goals. One high assist year on a high scoring team is no reason to bring him here. 

He's average at best defensively, on his best days.

He doesn't bring grit, hit much or is particularly speedy.

He'll be expensive. And lock up valuable term and cap for our core youth. 

Hughes is already a far superior passer. 

And you have Hutton playing the right side to make space for him. Huh? 

Did I miss anything? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and you want to make it.. more fragile?

Why no Gardiner? 

He's not a good goal scorer. Career high of 9 - 3 years ago. Otherwise he scores goals at a Stecher-like rate.  Yes he has years with decent assist numbers but nothing we don't already have in Edler, who scores more goals. One high assist year on a high scoring team is no reason to bring him here. 

He's average at best defensively, on his best days.

He doesn't bring grit, hit much or is particularly speedy.

He'll be expensive. And lock up valuable term and cap for our core youth. 

Hughes is already a far superior passer. 

And you have Hutton playing the right side to make space for him. Huh? 

Did I miss anything? 

No to Gardiner.  The only Leaf I want is Nylander.  I’m starting a pink flamingo business (weddings, birthdays) and need a live model.  

• Haha 4

Just now, Alflives said:

No to Gardiner.  The only Leaf I want is Nylander.  I’m starting a pink flamingo business (weddings, birthdays) and need a live model.  

Goldy would have been better defensively than Flamingo-boy last night. 

• Upvote 2

Gardiner is a lot better then people think here. His numbers are very good. 

The he problem is he makes mistakes that look bad and can cost a goal. But he makes many more good plays then bad and is a very effective puck mover. 

I would take a top end dean that makes a pouliot  like blunder once in a while that looks horrible over a guy who has no upside and can’t get the puck out of his end quickly and effectively. 

If if we sign both Edler and Gardiner I would expect either Hughes to play right side or Hutton to be traded.

Edler-Hughes

Gardiner-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher 

or

Edler-Stecher 

Gardiner-Tanev 

Hughes-Schenn 

Having both Gardiner and Hughes on our backend increases their offensive ability big time and will help our breakout and getting pucks to our forwards quick no debate about it.

i would just be very concerned with term and $ amount. Also next year when Juolevi is ready who does he displace? Be interesting to see what they do. And what kind of trades will happen.

But no I’d not be surprised if we signed Gardiner and it wouldn’t be the worst signing. Him and Tanev (when healthy)  would be a very effective pairing imo.

Anyone saying sign Myers needs to watch him play. He struggled so much this year playing top minutes, he’s just not a good dman IMO and I’d be upset f we signed him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, khay said:

IMO, I think it's a single, maybe a double at best. He helped Boeser out quite a bit as well and as you say, gave us Motte. It is a good signing but Boeser is good with or without Vanek and Motte is a useful player but finding a player like him isn't too difficult. 

A triple would be signing a solid top 6 or top 4D that can help us become a playoff team. Homerun would be signing a superstar calibre player. Erik Karlsson or Panarin would fit that bill in this UFA market.

But as you say, depends on how you score things. I think JB has had small successes like Vanek, Beagle, Roussel. These guys are singles in my opinion. It advances your team in some areas in small to medium ways so that you can build on it.  If anything, I would count Vrbata as a double if he didn't tail off so much in the second year as he scored 30+ goals, and helped us to the playoffs. Eriksson, if he is scoring 20-30 goals consistently would be a double or a triple... At this point, he looks like a double play. 

you have an odd scoring system

vrbata had 1 good year

was paid top salary for 2 years though

and left without the team being able to acquire an asset by moving him

how is that a double

when vanek was signed for a way below market value

played well above his contract the entire time he was here

helped fix our power play when here

assisted with brock's development

upon leaving left another asset to continue with the nuck rebuild

and you think vrbata was better then this?

i think you are a blind zebra

where is your white cane?

sorry man .but your analysis verges on silly

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you have an odd scoring system

vrbata had 1 good year

was paid top salary for 2 years though

and left without the team being able to acquire an asset by moving him

how is that a double

when vanek was signed for a way below market value

played well above his contract the entire time he was here

helped fix our power play when here

assisted with brock's development

upon leaving left another asset to continue with the nuck rebuild

and you think vrbata was better then this?

i think you are a blind zebra

where is your white cane?

sorry man .but your analysis verges on silly

lol.

This is what I said: "I would count Vrbata as a double if he didn't tail off so much in the second year as he scored 30+ goals, and helped us to the playoffs."

I could count Vrbata as double if he didn't tail off. But he did. So no, it's not a double. You have a very poor reading comprehension.

He was paid top dollar and in his first year, he played up to his salary. The UFA should be judged on how much he helps the team to achieve its goals. In 2015, the goal was to make the playoffs and  Vrbata did exactly that. He was a good winger for the Sedins and he was an all-star. And this is coming from someone who didn't like Vrbata due to how things turned out the year after. If Vrbata put up consecutive 30 goal seasons, or if he was willing to be traded to get us an asset back, he would have counted as a double in my opinion. In your opinion, he clearly sucked no matter what he did, and that's your opinion, I don't really care.

Not denying that Vanek was good signing but I think it's a single. If you find that hard to accept, well, that's too bad. You seem very biased like the blind zebras that refereed the 2011 SCF.

8 minutes ago, khay said:

lol.

This is what I said: "I would count Vrbata as a double if he didn't tail off so much in the second year as he scored 30+ goals, and helped us to the playoffs."

I could count Vrbata as double if he didn't tail off. But he did. So no, it's not a double. You have a very poor reading comprehension.

He was paid top dollar and in his first year, he played up to his salary. The UFA should be judged on how much he helps the team to achieve its goals. In 2015, the goal was to make the playoffs and  Vrbata did exactly that. He was a good winger for the Sedins and he was an all-star. And this is coming from someone who didn't like Vrbata due to how things turned out the year after. If Vrbata put up consecutive 30 goal seasons, or if he was willing to be traded to get us an asset back, he would have counted as a double in my opinion. In your opinion, he clearly sucked no matter what he did, and that's your opinion, I don't really care.

Not denying that Vanek was good signing but I think it's a single. If you find that hard to accept, well, that's too bad. You seem very biased like the blind zebras that refereed the 2011 SCF.

so you really have nothing to contribute

that actually happened

only hypotheticals

i understand

thanks for your posts

let's try this

pouliet trade is a single

cuz we got 2 years out of him

granted those were meh 2 years

but we gave up asset value

and filled a needed on ice position

he has no trade value left

leivo is a double

he is a real asset and playing well since being acquired

we gave up a very light weight asset

and there is no reason leivo cannot remain with the team for a couple more seasons

or have some trade value

to me that makes vanek/motte a triple

acquired for no asset value

a solid year from vanek with an undervalue contract

motte is still here and likely can be for a couple more seasons

and has asset value left

i do not see any home runs

unless savvy draft picks count. .but those are not trades

so i am leaving them out

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so you really have nothing to contribute

that actually happened

only hypotheticals

i understand

thanks for your posts

??? as if though you had something better to contribute???