cuz we got 2 years out of him

granted those were meh 2 years

but we gave up asset value

and filled a needed on ice position

he has no trade value left

leivo is a double

he is a real asset and playing well since being acquired

we gave up a very light weight asset

and there is no reason leivo cannot remain with the team for a couple more seasons

or have some trade value

to me that makes vanek/motte a triple

acquired for no asset value

a solid year from vanek with an undervalue contract

motte is still here and likely can be for a couple more seasons

and has asset value left

i do not see any home runs

unless savvy draft picks count. .but those are not trades

so i am leaving them out

Thanks for the contribution :)

This make it clear the reasons why you say Vanek signing is a triple so thanks for that.

In short, Vanek signing is a bit below Leivo trade (a double, which I would agree). 

- He played less than a year for us. Not even a full season.

- Yes, only at 2 mil. But for a 34 year old player, he probably didn't have many suitors willing to dish out much more money anyways. I don't think he was getting 3-4 mil from anyone else. 

- He produced pretty well, but I ask, for what purpose? We were not making the playoffs that year. The value of producing 40 points vs 20-30 points that year doesn't carry so much value in my opinion as a result.

- He contributed towards Brock's development. That's definitely a plus but it is one of those qualitative contribution that is difficult to quantify.

- He was a free asset which gave us Motte. Hypothetically, if Motte plays for CBJ now and we are to trade for him, we would have to give up maybe 3rd round pick? A 4th? And then, there's the question of would we even trade for him in such a case as we may be able to promote a player from our own system or find one through college FA. For example, if we didn't have Motte, would Gaunce have filled his role? Our bottom 6 was pretty deep through most of the season.

- To me, Motte's value (at this point) is a single. Reasoning: I think Motte's value to the team is less than Leivo's value to the team at the moment and as you say, Leivo is a double.

To sum, up Vanek's signing was a positive. He gave us an asset in Motte (a clear single). He contributed to Brock's development. He produced 10-20 more points than expected but only for 2/3 of a season. However, those points did not help us to make the playoffs and from tankers point of view, it made us "too good". To me that's somewhere between a single and a double. 

Edited by khay

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Signing Gardiner would be a huge mistake. The guy is like a more, but less competent Pouliot. 

Schenn is a better shut down D than JG.

Sign Schenn first.

Convince Tryamkin to return next season.

The rest will fall into place.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/13/2019 at 12:24 PM, Borvat said:

Well if this is true how can they be serious about extending Edler unless they know Edler won't be back. 

Would make absolutely no sense unless Hutton is gone and they have no faith in Juolevi and would need both Edler and Gardiner next year.  

EDIT: Wonder if they are planning on playing Hughes on the RD side?

I have a feeling they are for sure thinking Hughes on the right side. Also, I think Hutton is officially a trade piece.

Edler Hughes (22 mins)

XXX  Stecher (21 mins)

Juolevi Tanev (17 mins)

Sautner, Schenn, Bega, Brisebois, Rafferty, Teves, Chatfield, etc.

With that being said, do not think Gardiner makes sense at the salary he will likely command (especially with the back injury). Would rather try and trade for D or promote D from within and add free agent forwards up front.

5 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

We need another offensive D, and this forum is known as Leaf haters. Gardiner is not as bad as you make him seem. I would accept him with open arms. 

Agreed but likely hard to accept signing Gardiner at the price/term he will likely command. In an ideal world where he accepts 4 years at $5M great but I expect he is probably closer to 6 years at $7M.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I have a feeling they are for sure thinking Hughes on the right side. Also, I think Hutton is officially a trade piece.

Edler Hughes (22 mins)

XXX  Stecher (21 mins)

Juolevi Tanev (17 mins)

Sautner, Schenn, Bega, Brisebois, Rafferty, Teves, Chatfield, etc.

With that being said, do not think Gardiner makes sense at the salary he will likely command (especially with the back injury). Would rather try and trade for D or promote D from within and add free agent forwards up front.

Would much prefer Stralman over Gardiner anyday. 

Why would we be interested....

He can't play D and he is a lefty, with Hutton, Hughes and apparently Edler is going to get another deal. Thats 3 Lefties plus Sautner as a call up or 7/8 guy.

I guess it depends on term and cap hit. He wont be getting a nmc or full ntc like Edler wants. 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

that article is hardly a case for signing him for big dollars and term. We don't need more help on suppressing shot attempts, we need defence that can move the puck out of our zone and contribute to scoring without being defensive liabilities. 

We do not need Gardiner for that, at all. All you have to do is look at his basic goal scoring numbers and actually watch him play. He's meh. Mashed potatoes without the gravy. He doesn't bring anything that Huges or Edler won't and he's not nearly good enough to block Juolevi's path to the NHL.

He also happens to be a giveaway machine. 

And he's been doing this on a dynamic high scoring team. No one would think Gardiner is the reason the Leafs have good possession numbers or can score. 

We don't need to overpay for a guy who turns 29 next year, we'll get his declining years for so-so impact. I hope this is all media driven BS, this is the last guy we need on this team. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Schenn is a better shut down D than JG.

Sign Schenn first.

Convince Tryamkin to return next season.

The rest will fall into place.

Canucks are not allowed to talk to Tryamkin.  The NHL has an agreement with the K.   Tryamakin I doubt would want to pay his way out of his contact either.

17 minutes ago, samurai said:

Canucks are not allowed to talk to Tryamkin.  The NHL has an agreement with the K.   Tryamakin I doubt would want to pay his way out of his contact either.

Yes, Benning talks to his agent monthly if not bi-weekly according to his agent Todd Diamond.

Tryamkin can buy his way out of his contract in the KHL at any time during his off season.

If he gets a signing bonus from Benning, it’s sure to pay off the contract he is in for one more year..  reported to be possibly less than 1m USD per year.

.. and with 1 year left in that contract in the KHL with Avtomobilist, any thing is possible.

• Upvote 1