The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Canucks Report Card

Rate this topic

-AJ-

2018-19 Report Card  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

How can a team that missed the playoffs yet again have ZERO players with FAILING grades.

I wish some of you would have been marking me back when i was in highschool....  EASY pass from you guys..

On this site the bar is set really really low 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, of course it is.

Guys that make excuses would never become pro hockey players....  To become good enough for the show... you have to accept responsibility for your own performances on the ice each and every game.  NHL players i would think  are harder on themselves than coaches  / media  or fans.

You've enlightened me.

Mine are based off Expectation vs Reality. So I didn't expect much from someone like Eriksson, whereas players like Goldobin and Pouliot, I had much higher expectations for.

Forwards:

S. Baertschi: B. Would have been an A if he had been healthy, he was having a career year.

J. Beagle: C+

B. Boeser: A-. Slow start with injury, but amazing second half.

L. Eriksson: C-

A. Gaudette: C

N. Goldobin: D. Was expecting much bigger things from him this year.

M. Granlund: C

B. Horvat: A+

J. Leivo: B-

T. Motte: C+

T. Pearson: B

E. Pettersson: A+

A. Roussel: A

T. Schaller: D

R. Spooner: C

B. Sutter:  F. I thought Sutter would take another step this year. When he was healthy, he wasn't great.

J. Virtanen: B. Strong start and finish, fizzled mid season. His defence has vastly improved. 

Defensemen:

A. Biega: B+

M. Del Zotto: D

A. Edler: A. Thought this was one of Eddie's best seasons.

B. Hutton: C+

E. Gudbranson: F. Love the guy, but this was his worst year here by far. We got a great return for him.

D. Pouliot: F. I thought Pouliot would build off last year. It's clear that he's not an NHL caliber D. 

A. Sautner: C-. Honestly wasn't too impressed. Don't think he'll be an NHLer.

L. Schenn: B+. Had no expectations at all of Schenn. Pleasant surprise.

T. Stecher: B

C. Tanev: C

Goalies:

J. Markstrom: A+

T. Demko: B

A. Nilsson: F

• Upvote 1

Forwards:

Petey- A. I really wanted to give him an A+ but his production flamed out in the last two months, and he missed time due to injury . Nevertheless, he was by far the best offensive player we had.

Bo- A. Only player to play a full 82 games, and he was a horse. Had to shoulder a ton of faceoff responsibility with injuries to Sutter and Beagle early on. Also had a career year offensively. Did go through a big slump in Jan - Feb, but he is no question our future captain.

Brock- A- Started slow and battled inconsistent play at times, but finished strong. Did have a groin injury that maybe threw off his timing. Playmaking and defensiveness improved a lot towards the end. When he gets a full offseason of training he will be a 30 goal scorer, maybe even 40.

Rousell- B + Impressive offensive year. Gritty, chirpy and not afraid to mix it up. Turned into a real leader. Too bad he suffered a major ACL injury at the end (I’ve been there; it sucks). 

Pearson- B Didn’t play enough to warrant a serious rating, but looked good next to Bo. Let’s hope it continues next season.

Leivo- B- Exceeded my expectations, but did cool off towards the end. I would like a bit more consistency. I like that he stands up for his teammates. 

Beagle- B- 4th line role, so didn’t expect him to put up big numbers. Would’ve liked more offence though. I love his honesty and experience that he brings to the team and I think it’ll be good for our young players going forward.

Virtanen- C+ Had a hot start; but went ice cold down the stretch. Even so he had a career year. Once again he needs to be more consistent if he wants to make an impact.

Gaudette- C+ Struggled with the transition from pro. After returning from Utica he started producing which was showing us his potential but he faded down the stretch. Not bad for his rookie start; but has to bring more to the table.

Granlund- Way too inconsistent. Went on scoring spurts, but played himself out of the lineup a few times.

Goldy - I like this kid, but man he is frustrating to watch sometimes. Has great potential but doesn’t seem to have the same fire and desire to win which is hurting his game a lot. 

Sutter- Mr. Glass. Cannot stay healthy. Okay defensively but has little to no offensive upside

Schaller- Hugely disappointing considering how well he did last year with Boston. Needs to go 

Eriksson- Good defensively but is ineffective offensively. Considering his contract there is no way he is worth keeping at this point

Spooner- Good skater but that’s it. Didn’t do enough to really warrant a roster spot

Motte - B + Love this guys work ethic. Played hard every game. Earned a lot of respect

Defencemen:

Eagle - Despite the injury problems, Eagle was phenomenal this year. Had a great offensive year, and led by example. Greatly under appreciated on this team. Needs to be resigned.

Tanny - B -I struggled to give him such a low grade but his inability to stay healthy is not worth it anymore. I respect his bravery but I think age is catching up to him fast

Stech - A - Troy from Richmond was a lion this season. He wears his heart on his sleeve and battles every game. Has made great strides defensively, but would like a bit more offence from him

Hutty - What a great bounce back year. Proved that he can be the defenceman he had the potential to be. 

Schenn-   B- Love that he wasn’t afraid to stand up for his teammates l, and he plays physical which is what we desperately needed. Was a bit slow at times and doesn’t have much of an offensive upside.

Pouliot- A complete liability in his own zone. Absolutely brain dead giveaways at times. Needs to go ASAP

Sautner- C Not bad defensively but not enough offensively to warrant a roster spot.

Bulldog -  B Had a great year offensively. Not bad for a 7/8 defenceman 

Goaltenders:

Marky - Proved that he could be a # 1 starter. Was very consistent throughout the year. Props to Ian Clark for his work with him as well

Demko- A- Looks like a legit number one in the future. Still learning the game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canckelhead said:

On this site the bar is set really really low 

Yes, 100%.

Most fans here think that a team that once again failed to make the post season is a club full of players doing very well.

Fans here think that every player on our club had a pretty decent year....

Wow, maybe its due to the LEGAL WEED now for sale here in BC......

• Upvote 1

Pettersson, horvat, marky - A

Boeser, Pearson, Edler, beagle, roussel, Demko - B

Hutton, Stetcher, Schenn, baertschi, Virtanen, Tanev, leivo, gaudette, Biega, grandlund, motte - C

Eriksson, Sutter, Goldobin, spooner, Schaller, Gudbransen - D

Pouliot, Del Zotto, Nilsson, Leipsic - F

Hughes, Rafferty, Teves, Sautner, Gagner, Breezbah, Dipietro, MacEwan - N/A

anyone who got a C or worse has their job on the line right now, IMO (or already lost it). 

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

How can a team that missed the playoffs yet again have ZERO players with FAILING grades.

I wish some of you would have been marking me back when i was in highschool....  EASY pass from you guys..

Couldn't agree more.

• Upvote 1

Pettersson: A-

Horvat:  A-

Boeser: B+

Roussel: B

Leivo: B

Pearson: B

Motte: B-

Virtanen: C+

Granlund: C+

Baertschi: C

Gaudette: C

Beagle: C

Goldobin: C-

Sutter: C-

Spooner: D

Eriksson: D

Schaller: F

Defensemen:

Edler: A-

Hughes: A-

Stecher: B+  

Schenn: B

Hutton: C+

Tanev: C+

Biega: C+

Sautner: C 

Pouliot: D

Goalies:

Markstrom: A-

Demko: B-

Something like that.

7 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Being disappointed in Eriksson seems strange. What do you expect after year #1 and #2. Seems like yet another example of not being able to separate contract and player. If you asked 'are you happy with LE's play for 6mil per year ?', then absolutely not !! At this stage, what he gave this year is exactly what should have been expected !

Disappointed in paying $6M for Eriksson is reasonable but his production has been consistent as a Canuck so why should we be disappointed with this years performance?  It's pretty much the same as last year.

2016-17 65 games 11-13-24 -9  0.37 ppg

2017-18 50 games 10-13-23 0  0.46 ppg

2018-18 81 games 11-18-29 -11  0.36 ppg

I seriously can’t comprehend how Markstrom with the same stats (slightly worse) as last year goes from expendable and like a C+ to a bonafide starter on any competitive team and an A+ according to some of you. I think there’s really serious recency bias involved.

Before anyone thinks this is me bashing Markstrom, it’s not. I’m just struggling to comprehend the logic.

Edited by Grape

2 hours ago, Grape said:

I seriously can’t comprehend how Markstrom with the same stats (slightly worse) as last year goes from expendable and like a C+ to a bonafide starter on any competitive team and an A+ according to some of you. I think there’s really serious recency bias involved.

Before anyone thinks this is me bashing Markstrom, it’s not. I’m just struggling to comprehend the logic.

I think there's actually some people not realizing that he wasn't the greatest from March onward (though not bad, either). That said, it's worth noting that the NHL has continued to get more offensive this year. The league's average save percentage fell to .910, the lowest average of the last 10 years. If Markstrom can maintain his save percentage while everyone else's is falling, then it stands to reason that relative to his competition, he's improving. For reference, the league average save percentage was .912 last year.

That said, I think his start was much worse than people remember and seriously hampered his numbers. I do think there's a lot of emphasis being put on December onward and perhaps too many are ignoring his poor start. From December to the end of the February, he was a sparkling .926 save percentage, but from March til the end, he was a more mediocre .908 and from October til the end of November, he was a positively bad .897 save percentage.

While it's clear that the league continued to score more goals and Markstrom's save percentage stayed the same, you still might be on to something. We'll see how he does next year, because I'm still not 100% sold that he's able to be as good as he was during the middle of the season over a full season. His more mediocre finish is slightly concerning.

Forwards:

S. Baertschi: C

J. Beagle: C

B. Boeser: B

L. Eriksson: C-

A. Gaudette: B

N. Goldobin: C-

M. Granlund: C-

B. Horvat: A

J. Leivo: B-

T. Motte: B

T. Pearson: B+

E. Pettersson: A

A. Roussel: A-

T. Schaller: F

R. Spooner: C-

B. Sutter: F

J. Virtanen: C+

Defensemen:

A. Biega: B-

A. Edler: B

B. Hutton: C

D. Pouliot: F

L. Schenn: B-

T. Stecher: B-

C. Tanev: C-

Goalies:

J. Markstrom: A

T. Demko: B

Pettersson: B had a better year than I expected, should become a bona-fide superstar. Fell off after all star break, still should win the Calder

Horvat:  B+ only player to play in all 82 games, despite having to take every D zone draw still puts up 61 points, Captain? Yes please

Boeser: B still improving, his play with Petey gives me hope for the future

Roussel: B better than I expected although I knew he was exactly what the team needs,. Hard nosed forwards that are not afraid of the front of the net or the corners. scores a few goals also.

Leivo: C could be a big help if he plays like he shows in spurts

Pearson: C like the speed need a full season to see where he fits in

Motte: C hits leader but not much else to offer. one of many 4th line prospects on this team

Virtanen: C better year but not much more than a third liner at best right now

Granlund: D bye dont let the door hit you on the way out

Baertschi: D too bad he was doing ok til the injury but never been sold on him as a 1st liner

Gaudette: C not enough yet from a very good prospect. One year under the belt he should be better next year

Beagle: C Provided exactly what he was brought in for. Veteran presence and a winning attitude.

Goldobin: F Let me help him pack and I will drive him to the airport.

Sutter: D Never healthy, might be time to move on

Spooner: F anyone remember much he did this year?

Eriksson: F does all the little things well..... could he just do one big thing well? Without the 6 million dollar contract he would be in the minors

Schaller: F scores only against Dallas, we don't play them 82 times

Defensemen:

Edler: C sorry lets see how he likes playing in another city.( I know I know hes our best D you keep telling me I just wish we had better D)

Hughes: C+ , (ONLY FOR HIS POTENTIAL NOT ENOUGH GAMES TO BASE A YEAR ON) Calder candidate next year maybe? OT is sure fun with him Boes and Petey

Stecher: C  Plays small, cant handle big Forwards from opposition and hasnt produced enough Offense  needs to strengthen up and learn how to get the puck through from the point

Schenn: C Plays pretty good with Hughes. Like the toughness factor.

Hutton: C+ Played better this year and was good when Tanev and Edler went down.

Tanev: C Hurt again , no surprise there. Love him when he is healthy , he just is never healthy.

Biega: C the only D man that can get the shot through from the point. Too bad we cant transplant his heart into a bigger body

Sautner: C- still learning but doesnt try to do too much. Needs to learn the NHL game more

Pouliot: F Nope not even as a call up, he has had his chances here and elsewhere. Hold the door for Granlund as you go

Goalies:

Markstrom: A the only A i gave out he played very well this year despite having that sad sack D core in front of him. If not for him we are drafting prolly 3 or 4

Demko: B some games were bad, some games pretty good. How many goals did the team score in front of him?

Not too many A grades on a team that missed the playoffs, finished 6th last in scoring and continues to need to add high end talent at F and D.