The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire : Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

xereau

Could have been caused by renovations:

"The Notre-Dame cathedral, which is visited by millions of people every year, is undergoing renovations after cracks began to appear in the stone, sparking fears the structure could become unstable."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794?ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central#

At least there is a massive amount of documentation of how it looked.  Will make the rebuilding process that much easier. 

Sad that millions of visitors to Paris won't be able to see this landmark.  Hopefully it doesn't take as long as the redevelopment of the World Trade Center site took in NYC.  Somehow I don't see as much bureaucratic nonsense holding it up.

I remember years ago an old rag bin just caught on fire in one of the barns.  It was full of greasy rags, and ones with paint, and ones with turpentine.  I was in the barn and the bin was smoking!  I did my best to haul it outside, and then it just burst into flames.  Don't really get the why, but it was nasty.  Singed the fur on my BIG nose.

I wonder, with the construction going on in the Cathedral, if something really simple like this is what started the fire?  

9 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Awful news. As a fan of black metal I hope it isn't arson committed by idiots who idolize Varg.

Looks to be the case, that or sparks caused due to welding which there hasn’t been reports of.

There’s been reports of other local churches not too long ago there as well such as Saint-Sulpician Church that was set on fire but luckily only ended up being for a brief time.

Satanic symbols and shattered statues: Several Catholic churches have been under attack in France

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2019/04/02/satanic-symbols-shattered-statues-several-catholic-churches-have-been-under-attack-france/

Edited by Generational.EP40

1 minute ago, aeromotacanucks said:

Actually this is not a bad idea. They could use a Canadian CL415 waterbomber or if they need a heavier one a Russian Beriev B200

I'm almost certain that a water bomber is a bad idea. If you're trying to save the art and wooden architecture, you're far too late. Dropping thousands of litres of water on the remains all at once isn't going to help. 

13 minutes ago, Fantomex said:

I'm almost certain that a water bomber is a bad idea. If you're trying to save the art and wooden architecture, you're far too late. Dropping thousands of litres of water on the remains all at once isn't going to help. 

Not dropping directly but above it creating a cloud of moisture in order to provoke a light rain over the entire area

• Upvote 2