The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire : Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

xereau

3 minutes ago, Hansman said:

Thank you, all I asked, and for the record wasn't trying to defend trump in anyway, do find it funny that all threads seems to lead to him somehow though. But again thank you for the info

I guess it's a side effect of Trump weighing in on anything and everything, included those things he knows nothing about.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hansman said:

Thank you, all I asked, and for the record wasn't trying to defend trump in anyway, do find it funny that all threads seems to lead to him somehow though. But again thank you for the info

FTR Hans, I think most of the vitriol is directed at Trump, due to his penchant for just blurting out the first thing that pops into his head.

The explanation for why it wasn't a good idea makes sense, but I don't think you were so far off base for asking why not in the first place.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

I guess it's a side effect of Trump weighing in on anything and everything, included those things he knows nothing about.

Yeah for sure, I've always just tried to ignore most of what all politicians have to say, as it's false most of the time.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

FTR Hans, I think most of the vitriol is directed at Trump, due to his penchant for just blurting out the first thing that pops into his head.

The explanation for why it wasn't a good idea makes sense, but I don't think you were so far off base for asking why not in the first place.

Thx mate

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Hansman said:

Yeah for sure, I've always just tried to ignore most of what all politicians have to say, as it's false most of the time.

But some of it's so screwed up you can't help but laugh at it.

Edited by goalie13
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yep, water bombing could damage surrounding buildings too while also being a concern for civilians if the target was missed. 

Whoever suggested this idea should stick to what he knows.....oh wait, never mind.

The concept is not directly water bomb  because yes it will be a bad idea it but create an indirect effect

You drop the water high enough to bring moisture to the atmosphere, do it enough and you can induce a light rain over a large area, so instead directly doing it you're spreading water over a large area which your target is inside it and also avoids fire propagation 

Let's say 8 tons of water at 100m above the target, will not damage the target will will surely add a lot of moisture to the local air 

This happen all the time in the Amazon, a single rain nearby can unleash a large effect over a huge area because you added moisture...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aeromotacanucks said:

The concept is not directly water bomb  because yes it will be a bad idea it but create an indirect effect

You drop the water high enough to bring moisture to the atmosphere, do it enough and you can induce a light rain over a large area, so instead directly doing it you're spreading water over a large area which your target is inside it and also avoids fire propagation 

Let's say 8 tons of water at 100m above the target, will not damage the target will will surely add a lot of moisture to the local air 

This happen all the time in the Amazon, a single rain nearby can unleash a large effect over a huge area because you added moisture...

Interesting....has that been done over a city before? would a light rain help much on such a concentrated blaze?

I got my info from this....I know you said 'not directly'

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/trump-encourages-france-to-use-flying-water-tankers-for-notre-dame-fire.html

“If you hit that with tons of water from above, that’s going to collapse the entire structure and make the situation worse,” said Wayne McPartland, a retired New York City Fire Department battalion chief. “If you miss, you might hit civilians in the street.”

Edited by bishopshodan

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Interesting....has that been done over a city before?

I got my info from this....I know you said 'not directly'

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/trump-encourages-france-to-use-flying-water-tankers-for-notre-dame-fire.html

“If you hit that with tons of water from above, that’s going to collapse the entire structure and make the situation worse,” said Wayne McPartland, a retired New York City Fire Department battalion chief. “If you miss, you might hit civilians in the street.”

Not hitting directly because yes that will be bad

Imagine this. Get one of those high pressure water hoses, if you shoot it directly you will hit and cause damage

BUT let's suppose I point it up and shoot it, it will not hurt you but will create an "artificial rain" that will wash you gently and around you because you're spreading the water over a large area

If you get a water bomber and drop the water let's say at 100m or more you will not be unleashing the water to the ground at full force but the air will do the job of spreading the water over a larger area since the water will encounter resistance util it reaches the ground. The higher the distance more drag the water will suffer and since the amount of water dropped is tiny compared to the air around it (since it wasn't raining there) the final velocity will not be huge 

I think it can be done, cropduster pilots do all the time, they release the water above us at 100m or more and for us in the ground we feel it's like a common rain 

1 minute ago, aeromotacanucks said:

Not hitting directly because yes that will be bad

Imagine this. Get one of those high pressure water hoses, if you shoot it directly you will hit and cause damage

BUT let's suppose I point it up and shoot it, it will not hurt you but will create an "artificial rain" that will wash you gently and around you because you're spreading the water over a large area

If you get a water bomber and drop the water let's say at 100m or more you will not be unleashing the water to the ground at full force but the air will do the job of spreading the water over a larger area since the water will encounter resistance util it reaches the ground. The higher the distance more drag the water will suffer and since the amount of water dropped is tiny compared to the air around it (since it wasn't raining there) the final velocity will not be huge 

I think it can be done, cropduster pilots do all the time, they release the water above us at 100m or more and for us in the ground we feel it's like a common rain 

Has your idea ever been done over a major city and had any success?

100m seems a bit low? I live near Wall Centre in Van....it stands 150m tall...wouldn't want to fly a big plane like that so close to buildings....

Those water bombers are soo cool though, I used to watch them fill up at Nanoose Bay as a kid.

52 minutes ago, Hansman said:

Why so mad? I was asking in reference to surrounding buildings and structures, and since your obviously a firefighter could you inform me why it wouldn't help? thats a real question as i guess I too am a dish#t cause I don't know either

Who's mad? 

You don't have to be fire fighter to know it's a stupid idea. 

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Has your idea ever been done over a major city and had any success?

100m seems a bit low? I live near Wall Centre in Van....it stands 150m tall...wouldn't want to fly a big plane like that so close to buildings....

Those water bombers are soo cool though, I used to watch them fill up at Nanoose Bay as a kid.

I don't know the exact values but I think it can be done, or even using helicopters on small releases instead going it all at once. The technology is there so let's use it right?

Why not drones too? Ok maybe drop 7tons over it will create problems but how about drones releasing 10 or 20kgs of water 1 after another on a precise targeting?

I think the technology is there and we can use it

Didn't have time in 2011 to go inside. 

Total shame, maybe France needs to make a special lottery to raise money to help rebuild.

Kudos to the firefighters, and emergency responders. 

Looked beautiful on the outside.

Just think when it was built. There was no phones, cars, planes, computers. The fastest travel was by horse or sailing ship. There wasn't even the printing press until 1439. 

IMG_0246.JPG

Not sure if anyone’s caught this or not but

& for those that suspect it’s a firefighter, they wore red. 

...unless things get explained or something is discovered/leaked, Notre Dame will get lost as it will go down the memory hole. 

Isn’t it a tad fishy how 2 fires simultaneously start in a building (national/global treasure) that has avoided fires for 900 years? It’s funny how people say don’t jump to conclusions but those same people assume it was a construction incident. Just saying some concrete proof wouldn’t harm anyone and asking questions is never a bad thing.

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Paris - the most beautiful city in the world.

I am sure ND will be restored.  

Such a beautiful country ... such amazing citizens.  

Stay strong Paris.

What? :blink:

Even more beautiful than Surrey, kos? B)

• Haha 2