The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Male in custody after 4 slain in 'targeted' shootings in Penticton, B.C.

Ryan Strome

Well this hits home. @Warhippy any idea who it was?

Penticton, B.C., RCMP say four people are dead after a string of fatal shootings in three locations Monday morning.

South Okanagan-Similkameen Supt. Ted De Jager says one male has been taken into custody after he turned himself in at the front desk of the Penticton RCMP detachment.

Police have confirmed they believe "it was a targeted event."

At around 10:30 a.m. PT, police were called to downtown Penticton, in the area of Westminster Avenue and Haynes Street, for a report that a man had been shot.

As officers were en route, they received a second call reporting that another person had been shot. A man matching the description of the suspect turned himself in about one hour later, at 11:30 a.m.

Officers conducted a sweep of the area and found there were several victims at multiple locations. The four fatalities occurred in three different locations within a five-kilometre radius.

One person died at the initial incident near Westminster Avenue and Lakeview Street, while three people died "in a suburban area" around Cornwall Drive.

"I understand this is a deeply troubling incident that has taken place in our community," said South Okanagan-Similkameen Supt. Ted De Jager.

"Police are continuing to look for anyone else who may have been injured in the course of this incident."

He says police are working to identify the victims and inform their families.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/police-penticton-residents-stay-inside-serious-incident-1.5098815

17 minutes ago, xereau said:

Seems like gang stuff to me.  Its out of control everywhere.  There's been shootings and shootouts in Kelowna, Salmon Arm, Kamloops, and now Penticton in this last month alone.

Apparently 60 year old turned himself in.  Probably disgruntled neighbour rather than gang stuff.   Lived there for a couple of years back around 1990, always felt safe.  It was a bit of a zoo come Triathlon time, especially after the infamous MC Hammer concert/riot

Edited by sonoman

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I only half believed you on this one, I was thinking, "Who riots because of MC Hammer?!"  Sure enough, people actually rioted after an MC Hammer concert...  :picard:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4368523/the-penticton-peach-and-recalling-the-infamous-1991-riot/

Wasn’t at the concert, but was living in town at the time.  They even trashed “the Peach”

Edited by sonoman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well this hits home. @Warhippy any idea who it was?

Penticton, B.C., RCMP say four people are dead after a string of fatal shootings in three locations Monday morning.

South Okanagan-Similkameen Supt. Ted De Jager says one male has been taken into custody after he turned himself in at the front desk of the Penticton RCMP detachment.

Police have confirmed they believe "it was a targeted event."

At around 10:30 a.m. PT, police were called to downtown Penticton, in the area of Westminster Avenue and Haynes Street, for a report that a man had been shot.

As officers were en route, they received a second call reporting that another person had been shot. A man matching the description of the suspect turned himself in about one hour later, at 11:30 a.m.

Officers conducted a sweep of the area and found there were several victims at multiple locations. The four fatalities occurred in three different locations within a five-kilometre radius.

One person died at the initial incident near Westminster Avenue and Lakeview Street, while three people died "in a suburban area" around Cornwall Drive.

"I understand this is a deeply troubling incident that has taken place in our community," said South Okanagan-Similkameen Supt. Ted De Jager.

"Police are continuing to look for anyone else who may have been injured in the course of this incident."

He says police are working to identify the victims and inform their families.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/police-penticton-residents-stay-inside-serious-incident-1.5098815

Yes, we do actually have a good idea who this is.  He was a shade unstable and had been for a while.  He snapped on his old neighbour, his ex and a random person.  It's kind of hit everyone here pretty hard.  He did it, then drove to the RCMP station handed over his weapon and turned himself in.  Amazingly there was another standoff, armed I believe; at the exact same time happening at the Empire Motel, totally unrelated...

We're all shaken up here, we have people to support and others to mourn and in no short order people have turned it ugly.  It's not a gun ownership issue, it's not a government issue, its not an immigrant issue.  Sometimes people just go off and you can never ever predict who or when.

At least now ya understand why I am moving my family out of here.  In one day one old boy snaps, and a drug/gang related standoff occur within 6 blocks of each other

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Wasn’t at the concert, but was living in town at the time.  They even trashed “the Peach”

They showed the picture of the old peach being rolled in the video.  They also showed the 1992 replacement peach.  The newer one is much better.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yes, we do actually have a good idea who this is.  He was a shade unstable and had been for a while.  He snapped on his old neighbour, his ex and a random person.  It's kind of hit everyone here pretty hard.  He did it, then drove to the RCMP station handed over his weapon and turned himself in.  Amazingly there was another standoff, armed I believe; at the exact same time happening at the Empire Motel, totally unrelated...

We're all shaken up here, we have people to support and others to mourn and in no short order people have turned it ugly.  It's not a gun ownership issue, it's not a government issue, its not an immigrant issue.  Sometimes people just go off and you can never ever predict who or when.

At least now ya understand why I am moving my family out of here.  In one day one old boy snaps, and a drug/gang related standoff occur within 6 blocks of each other

Sorry you have chosen to leave.  I loved my time there, however only being about 30 at the time it was tough for singles.  Still have some friends there. 

37 minutes ago, Hansman said:

crazy... I always think of that part of BC to be safe, condolences to all those involved

When I grew up in Penticton it wasn't that bad at all. There was a couple murders over 20 years but now Penticton and Kelowna are riddled with crime and homeless people.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

When I grew up in Penticton it wasn't that bad at all. There was a couple murders over 20 years but now Penticton and Kelowna are riddled with crime and homeless people.

Crazy, is Osoyoos still relatively crime free?