The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Male in custody after 4 slain in 'targeted' shootings in Penticton, B.C.

Ryan Strome

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

When I grew up in Penticton it wasn't that bad at all. There was a couple murders over 20 years but now Penticton and Kelowna are riddled with crime and homeless people.

@Hansman you know now that I think about it but there was probably at least 10 murders that I could think of in Penticton. It's strange I never felt unsafe or thought Penticton had lots of crime but maybe growing up there I didn't realize how bad was. I also don't know what's normal from a city of about 35,000 people.

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 minute ago, xereau said:

There's a lot of hard drugs here in the valley.  And its getting worse.

Thats too bad, mainly gang related sh*t probably, but still sucks none the less, It's funny when I was in the army out in Manitoba I barely even heard of the hard drugs around Brandon, then I got injured and booted out of the forces, moved back to BC and it seems every bar I have been to, I have been offered at a minimum coke, its just nuts around here now, no i just stay home and don't drink anymore

• Upvote 1

My cousin lives in Penticton.  Due to all the gang / drug issues he is thinking of moving to a quieter safer city like Surrey BC. 

Can't say i blame him.   Fraser Heights is an area in Surrey i am recommending to him. Such a beautiful part of the city. 

So many korean immigrants now moving to this part of the town due to the wonderful neighbourhoods and outstanding schools. 

Seems like small towns in BC now have so many issues....... 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Hansman said:

Thats too bad, mainly gang related sh*t probably, but still sucks none the less, It's funny when I was in the army out in Manitoba I barely even heard of the hard drugs around Brandon, then I got injured and booted out of the forces, moved back to BC and it seems every bar I have been to, I have been offered at a minimum coke, its just nuts around here now, no i just stay home and don't drink anymore

The real problems started when the RCMP took down the Hell's Angels in the mid 2000s.  Might sound counterintuitive but they kind of had a lockdown on a lot of the trade, and with stability, came a kind of weird peace.  Under the HA, there was far less violence.  When they were taken down, there was a power vacuum.  A bunch of the remaining gangs teamed up, called themselves the United Nations.  The UN was really volatile, run by noobs.  They could never run things like the HA did.  Power struggles, drama, cliques clashing and backstabbing.  And now, the Mexican Cartels are involved heavily in BC.  They brought in their extremely violent and chaotic mindset and culture with them.

I worked night audit at a major hotel for a decade.  Had many conversations with many interesting people, from cops to bangers to ex cons.  I am completely on the outside of any of whatever is going on, but pieced together over a few years what I laid out above.

Edited by xereau
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

The real problems started when the RCMP took down the Hell's Angels in the mid 2000s.  Might sound counterintuitive but they kind of had a lockdown on a lot of the trade, and with stability, came a kind of weird peace.  Under the HA, there was far less violence.  When they were taken down, there was a power vacuum.  A bunch of the gangs teamed up, called themselves the United Nations.  THe UN was really volatile, run by noobs.  And now, the Mexican Cartels are involved heavily in BC.  They brought in their extremely violent and chaotic mindset and culture with them.

I read a book about that UN gang they were nuts, I believe they had a hand in the Bacon brothers death too no? But it does make sense as the HA only seemed to mess with those who did them wrong, like the Italian mafia kinda thing, the low brow gangs don't seems to care whom they attack, its all craziness

55 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My cousin lives in Penticton.  Due to all the gang / drug issues he is thinking of moving to a quieter safer city like Surrey BC. 

Can't say i blame him.   Fraser Heights is an area in Surrey i am recommending to him. Such a beautiful part of the city. 

So many korean immigrants now moving to this part of the town due to the wonderful neighbourhoods and outstanding schools. 

Seems like small towns in BC now have so many issues....... 

The West is wild.

Penticton #16

https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places/

Edited by bishopshodan

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Yes, we do actually have a good idea who this is.  He was a shade unstable and had been for a while.  He snapped on his old neighbour, his ex and a random person.  It's kind of hit everyone here pretty hard.  He did it, then drove to the RCMP station handed over his weapon and turned himself in.  Amazingly there was another standoff, armed I believe; at the exact same time happening at the Empire Motel, totally unrelated...

We're all shaken up here, we have people to support and others to mourn and in no short order people have turned it ugly.  It's not a gun ownership issue, it's not a government issue, its not an immigrant issue.  Sometimes people just go off and you can never ever predict who or when.

At least now ya understand why I am moving my family out of here.  In one day one old boy snaps, and a drug/gang related standoff occur within 6 blocks of each other

Sorry to hear.

For a second i thought it was fallout between you and @Ryan Strome cause of the alberta election threadB)

Edited by Violator

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Due to all the gang / drug issues he is thinking of moving to a quieter safer city like Surrey BC. 

Oh man that's hilarious, and you're both serious too.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wasn't there a shooting in Salmon Arm yesterday? 

Yes, not drug or zealot related though. A former foster child gunned down the foster dad at his church. Mental emotional problems... I've heard.

I was actually about a block away when it went down.

15 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Murder rate in Canada is pretty high in comparison to Western Europe.

Yeah except Western Europe is a complete zoo right now with the quick flash massive immigration that happened over the past few years. 

7 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Oh man that's hilarious, and you're both serious too.

Yes, i think so many people watched Breaking Bad and thought they could replicate Walter White by moving up to the Okanagan and starting up their own small businesses........

Its a shame.  Small town BC used to be quiet safe communities...

So lucky  i live in a quiet , safe , relaxed community in south surrey.

Edited by kingofsurrey

18 hours ago, xereau said:

The real problems started when the RCMP took down the Hell's Angels in the mid 2000s.  Might sound counterintuitive but they kind of had a lockdown on a lot of the trade, and with stability, came a kind of weird peace.  Under the HA, there was far less violence.  When they were taken down, there was a power vacuum.  A bunch of the remaining gangs teamed up, called themselves the United Nations.  The UN was really volatile, run by noobs.  They could never run things like the HA did.  Power struggles, drama, cliques clashing and backstabbing.  And now, the Mexican Cartels are involved heavily in BC.  They brought in their extremely violent and chaotic mindset and culture with them.

I worked night audit at a major hotel for a decade.  Had many conversations with many interesting people, from cops to bangers to ex cons.  I am completely on the outside of any of whatever is going on, but pieced together over a few years what I laid out above.

Kind of how the **** hit the fan when Tito passed away and the former country of Yugoslavia broke up.  He was a dictator but kept all the CENTURIES old hatred between the various groups in check.

Homicide, Assault & Bodily Harm
Homicide, actual incidents: 0
Homicide rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 0 (Canada avg.: 1.68)
Assault, actual incidents: 52
Assault rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 238.22 (Canada avg.: 430.68)
Sexual assault, actual incidents: 6
Sexual assault rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 27.49 (Canada avg.: 56.56)
Firearms offences, actual incidents: 0
Firearms offences rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 0 (Canada avg.: 6.79)
Theft & Property Crime
Robbery, actual incidents: 5
Robbery rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 22.91 (Canada avg.: 60.09)
Breaking & Entering, actual incidents: 107
Breaking & Entering rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 490.17 (Canada avg.: 438.51)
Fraud, actual incidents: 282
Fraud rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 1,291.86 (Canada avg.: 299.05)
Drug Offences
Impaired Driving, actual incidents: 24
Impaired Driving rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 109.95 (Canada avg.: 194.31)
Cannabis trafficking or production, actual incidents: 1
Cannabis trafficking or production rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 4.58 (Canada avg.: 29.32)
Cocaine trafficking or production, actual incidents: 1
Cocaine trafficking or production rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 4.58 (Canada avg.: 19.73)
Other controlled drugs, trafficking or production, actual incidents: 3
Other controlled drugs, trafficking or production rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 13.74 (Canada avg.: 23.41)
Youth Crime
Youth Criminal Justice Act offences, actual incidents: 1
Youth Criminal Justice Act offences rate (incidents per 100,000 population): 4.58 (Canada avg.: 16.74)

This seems like one guy getting caught and that alone puts white rock at 68th lol, impaired driving is probably just a roadblock on MArine drive, fraud is just old people falling for scams.  107 B&E's?  BS.  This list is whack.

Here's more recent rankings...

https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places-2019/

The shootings and gang stuff in Surrey in the last few years has been crazy...all over the news for the brazen and brutal nature of the crimes.

However, Surrey's crime rate overall has gone way down where as places like Edmonton have gotten a lot worse.

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Here's more recent rankings...

https://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places-2019/

The shootings and gang stuff in Surrey in the last few years has been crazy...all over the news for the brazen and brutal nature of the crimes.

Most of which happened in Whalley and Newton.

dK2kh.gif

Just now, bishopshodan said:

However, Surrey's crime rate overall has gone way down where as places like Edmonton have gotten a lot worse.

At least before they had the Oilers to keep them mentally and emotionally stable.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

This seems like one guy getting caught and that alone puts white rock at 68th lol, impaired driving is probably just a roadblock on MArine drive, fraud is just old people falling for scams.  107 B&E's?  BS.  This list is whack.

Wait, what?

They only busted one person for Cocaine trafficking in White Rock?!

Ok, maybe there is something wrong with that list!

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wait, what?

They only busted one person for Cocaine trafficking in White Rock?!

Ok, maybe there is something wrong with that list!

Yup, they busted him under the Whiterock pier...

Here is the mug shot.....

220px-Mr._Krabs.svg.png

• Haha 1