The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] One Proposal and Steal with the Leafs

Going into next year I believe the Leafs will be in a cap crunch and won't be able to sign everyone to their liking. With that said I believe we do 2 things that involve the leafs.

One of them is not offer sheeting for Marner. As great as he is we would have to realistically surrender 4 1st round picks.

1) Steal- offer sheet Kapanen to a 4 million x  4 year contract. I believe like Leivo, his potential is still untapped and with that offer sheet to Kapanen if he does decide to move West we would have to surrender only a 2nd round pick. He has shown good promise as a RW and may fit nicely along along Bo Horvat.

2) Trade for Nazem Kadri. Yes he is going into a suspension and may not look the best around the league currently. However, he is signed to a decent contract for the remainder at 4.5 million. His value is lower then it has been the previous 2 years due to reduced playing role as he has been buried on the leafs contract. Only down side is he is already 28 currently. What gets it done if we decide to?

Tanev + a 2nd round pick? 

Kadri value is still high for a guy that can play better mid 6 centre like the guy had 16g 28A 44pt 73GP with 14-17min a night, the cost will be high would be better off trading LOUI EK or a low draft pick for Zack smith . a pure 3rd/4th line centre grinder / checker that can put up point without any PP 

8 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

2) Trade for Nazem Kadri. Yes he is going into a suspension and may not look the best around the league currently. However, he is signed to a decent contract for the remainder at 4.5 million. His value is lower then it has been the previous 2 years due to reduced playing role as he has been buried on the leafs contract. Only down side is he is already 28 currently.

Wouldn't he be buried on the Canucks third line the exact same way he is in Toronto?

I don't want that POS Kadri anywhere near the Canucks. He's scum personified.

Our team is being built around character guys like Bo, Petey, Brock, etc. 

As a matter of fact, trade him to the "Floppin' Flames"! 

He'd fit right in. 

2) is a non-starter no fn thank you.

Kapanen - good luck with the offersheet - I'd take him in a heartbeat (and would have for some time now) - but the idea that he's 'untapped potential' is somewhat odd considering he's a 20 goal scorer, 44 pt 22 year old.

I think the idea is a year or two late - but I'm all for acquiring the guy - by reasonable means.

Likewise, the Leasf could be vulnerable where Johnsson is concerned - an offersheet could at the very least force them to match more than they're comfortable with - and given the tight spot they've put themselves in, this could bite them later if not sooner.

I can understand why some people hate him, but Kadri is a definite buy-low candidate. If Toronto decides to get rid of him, some team is going to do really well scooping him up, especially if they can finally teach him to not cross the line.

I think the key to snagging one of Johnsson or Kapanen will be offering to take Zaitsev's contract with one of them. Tough pill to swallow, but would really bring down the price.

Remember the last time Canucks had a really good 3C? Kadri could be that guy again.

Sure....hate him but he still takes hard faceoffs, shuts down top centers, kills penalties while popping in 18+ goals every year

Roussel/Kadri/Virtanen

That could almost replicate the '10 line of Torres/Malhotra/Hansen that was a dominant and effective line.  

11 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Going into next year I believe the Leafs will be in a cap crunch and won't be able to sign everyone to their liking. With that said I believe we do 2 things that involve the leafs.

One of them is not offer sheeting for Marner. As great as he is we would have to realistically surrender 4 1st round picks.

1) Steal- offer sheet Kapanen to a 4 million x  4 year contract. I believe like Leivo, his potential is still untapped and with that offer sheet to Kapanen if he does decide to move West we would have to surrender only a 2nd round pick. He has shown good promise as a RW and may fit nicely along along Bo Horvat.

2) Trade for Nazem Kadri. Yes he is going into a suspension and may not look the best around the league currently. However, he is signed to a decent contract for the remainder at 4.5 million. His value is lower then it has been the previous 2 years due to reduced playing role as he has been buried on the leafs contract. Only down side is he is already 28 currently. What gets it done if we decide to?

Tanev + a 2nd round pick? 

Kadri - no. I can't see anyone willing to take on Kadri - the guy is turning in to something worse than Avery.

Kapanen is a possibility and it might not take an offer sheet. A second round pick in compensation though would be a steal for that guy.

IMO the Leafs made a big mistake signing Nylander so big and so long.

Marner drives that team - with buckets of cash dumped on Matthews and Tavares, it's hard to see how the Laughs plan to keep Kapanen (and maybe Johnsson).

The Laughs have 3.7 mill in cap space for next season, and that's without signing two D men (Gardiner and Hainsey are UFA) and Marner - who again, I think is the MVP on that team. He deserves something real close to Tavares and Matthews.

4 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Remember the last time Canucks had a really good 3C? Kadri could be that guy again.

Sure....hate him but he still takes hard faceoffs, shuts down top centers, kills penalties while popping in 18+ goals every year

Roussel/Kadri/Virtanen

That could almost replicate the '10 line of Torres/Malhotra/Hansen that was a dominant and effective line.  

?

Bolded part isn't accurate.  Kadri does not kill penalties - and he takes primarily ozone starts.

Moreover, Sutter's production, now that Kadri isn't playing 2nd line minutes,  is actually better than Kadri's, with the exception of Kadri's considerable powerplay ice time.

Sutter is the better defensive center.  The Canucks have a pair of Malhotra types in Sutter and Beagle - the Leafs = need one.

Kadri this year as a "3C".

52.9% ozone starts / 54.0% corsi

2:45 powerplay ice time/game

0:00 penalty kill ice time.

Considerable amount of his points come on the powerplay = 31 even strength, 13 powerplay

Sutter (in Van).

36.1% ozone starts, 44.9% corsi

0:12 power play ice time game

3:05 penalty kill ice time game

Has averaged 33 pts per 82 games here, 28/82 at even strength, another 6 shorthanded points = 31 pts/82 at even strength or shorthanded.

No to Kadri as he is heading into Torres territory if he doesn't get his sh*# together.  He will have to change up his game significantly to do so, which may have a huge effect on his 'truculence'.

No to Kapanen.  Yeah he's putting up great #s, but look at who the C is on his line.  He would not put those kind of #s on Bo's line;  nor would he handle the heavy game that line has to play.

The Canucks need a player like Josh Anderson, Boone Jenner or Tyler Burtuzzi, but would have to make a trade for those guys.  I think I would weep with joy if JB found a way to acquire Anderson, but can't see the Jackets letting him.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] One Proposal and Steal with the Leafs

Archived