The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Put Eriksson on the 2nd line with Pearson and Horvat. Yay or nay?

Hindustan Smyl

I hear all of this talk that the Canucks should go out and get a 2nd line RW forward that can play alongside Pearson and Horvat. 

Why not not just put Eriksson there instead?   Why not just do the following?

1) Play Loui with Horvat and Pearson.  Eriksson’s skating speed and playing style is a good match with Horvat and Pearson.

2) Give LE the vote of confidence and just play him there permanently.  

3) If Eriksson is able to score and produce on the 2nd Unit, he ups his value.......meaning that perhaps we could have an easier time trading him.

4) Don’t spend money on a 2nd line RW’er.  Instead - use that money to hypertarget a 1st Line LW’er and perhaps an RD.

[Panarin/Duchene/Skinner]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Virtanen-Sutter-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-Leivo

Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-[Stralman]

Hughes-Tanev

Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

Yeah this is fine but It just means Canucks probably aren’t making the playoffs next year. I’m fine with being patient for another, I guess it just depends on what management and ownership think. 

But realistically have a 25-30 point rw in your second line is not a recipe for success. Better off trying to swap him for a bad D contract maybe. Swapping LE for phanuef would be very beneficial for Vancouver, imo. DP can play bottom pairing minutes and his contract expires same year as Petterssons

canucks might have to add, though

17 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I hear all of this talk that the Canucks should go out and get a 2nd line RW forward that can play alongside Pearson and Horvat. 

Why not not just put Eriksson there instead?   Why not just do the following?

1) Play Loui with Horvat and Pearson.  Eriksson’s skating speed and playing style is a good match with Horvat and Pearson.

2) Give LE the vote of confidence and just play him there permanently.  

3) If Eriksson is able to score and produce on the 2nd Unit, he ups his value.......meaning that perhaps we could have an easier time trading him.

4) Don’t spend money on a 2nd line RW’er.  Instead - use that money to hypertarget a 1st Line LW’er and perhaps an RD.

[Panarin/Duchene/Skinner]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Virtanen-Sutter-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-Leivo

Motte

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-[Stralman]

Hughes-Tanev

Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

I think getting Eriksson out of a checking line roll would increase his points to boarder line second line numbers and he did have good chemistry with Pearson.

I'm all for it 

Although I have this feeling that throwing rousell on petterssons wing is a good idea. He's hard on the puck, fast reasonably skilled playing a bottom six role and putting up decent numbers. It's not impossible for him to get 50 points and at the same time bring grit and toughness to that line. Forget about UFA wingers and go after a dman in UFA or trade

8 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I think getting Eriksson out of a checking line roll would increase his points to boarder line second line numbers and he did have good chemistry with Pearson.

I'm all for it 

Although I have this feeling that throwing rousell on petterssons wing is a good idea. He's hard on the puck, fast reasonably skilled playing a bottom six role and putting up decent numbers. It's not impossible for him to get 50 points and at the same time bring grit and toughness to that line. Forget about UFA wingers and go after a dman in UFA or trade

I guess 50 points is not IMPOSSIBLE.  But he has just completed his third season as a Canuck and his 29 points this year was his BEST performance to date.  He has topped out at 11 goals and 29 points.

If he didn't have a reputation as a scorer from years past and he weren't being paid his high salary, nobody (and I mean nobody) would be suggesting playing him in the top six.  His Canucks career is about the same as Josh Leivo's NHL career.  Or Roussel's NHL career.  I don't have much reason to think Eriksson will suddenly "figure it out" (again) next year at age 34.

But whatever, if he's the best option for that line, which could be the case given our depth, then I guess you gotta play him there.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I guess 50 points is not IMPOSSIBLE.  But he has just completed his third season as a Canuck and his 29 points this year was his BEST performance to date.  He has topped out at 11 goals and 29 points.

If he didn't have a reputation as a scorer from years past and he weren't being paid his high salary, nobody (and I mean nobody) would be suggesting playing him in the top six.  His Canucks career is about the same as Josh Leivo's NHL career.  Or Roussel's NHL career.  I don't have much reason to think Eriksson will suddenly "figure it out" (again) next year at age 34.

But whatever, if he's the best option for that line, which could be the case given our depth, then I guess you gotta play him there.

I kinda changed the subject

I think Eriksson could do 40-45 on Bo's wing

I think rousell could do 50 on petterssons wing

Just now, Baer. said:

Tried and failed

I don't know what we are going to do with Loui.  The league is so fast now, and he's so slow.  His hands have failed him (first sign of an aging player) and he doesn't have the strength he once did too (second sign of an aging player).

I think he will likely be put on the fourth line, and PK.  Personally, I'd send him to Utica, and have him be a player coach.  

42 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

yay-be?  

That line looked very good for the last 10 games of the year. So there could be something there. 

It makes sense if 1) we can't find a trade partner for Loui on a reasonable deal, and 2) we can't find a RW option in free agency.

We don't need more middle-6 RWs, so there aren't many top line RWs available in free agency that would be coming here.  

Barring any major trades its a good thing to begin the year with, if they can pick up where they left off it would be good for everyone. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't know what we are going to do with Loui.  The league is so fast now, and he's so slow.  His hands have failed him (first sign of an aging player) and he doesn't have the strength he once did too (second sign of an aging player).

I think he will likely be put on the fourth line, and PK.  Personally, I'd send him to Utica, and have him be a player coach.  

Loui doesn't really need to be fast on that line, just make quality passes and hang back while they go dig out the puck. 

Its hard to judge by end of year competition but that was the best Loui looked in a long time and Pearson did find his game again on that line too. Its possible that there's good chemistry there.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

hear hear

i really think he would benefit from a scooter

you know anyone who can sell him a used one ?

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think next year will be the year where he finally realizes he can't compete...and retires. He's barely 4th line material at this point.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Loui doesn't really need to be fast on that line, just make quality passes and hang back while they go dig out the puck. 

Its hard to judge by end of year competition but that was the best Loui looked in a long time and Pearson did find his game again on that line too. Its possible that there's good chemistry there.

If Loui is going to hang back, then we are attacking (even if a D man joins) with only 3 players.  That's going to lead to a turnover, and Loiu is going to end up having to defend in the neutral zone, or back up to his net.  In that situation Loui (being a smart player) will sag back to his goal, and that's bad news.  

I know Loui is trying his hardest, but the game has passed him by.  He's aging, and that's what happens.  

Archived