The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals/Discussion] Whats your best pitch for getting the #8 pick from Edmonton - go!

JM_

6 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

why would i wanna help the oilers make the playoffs id rather trade out of division

ideally yes but I don't think anyone else is in a position to cough up a top 10. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have no interest in helping the Oilers. They will make their pick, and then ruin the development, as usual. Benning will get a good one at #10. But okay, here's my deal:

to VAN: Lucic and the #8

to EDM - #10

(Canucks will take over Lucic's contract, as a huge favour lol)

yuck, i hope not. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The more this discussion goes on the more I realize that Edmonton has made itself nearly impossible to trade with. 

NMC for Russel? and Lucic? wtf? 

This is the only way I can see Edmonton shedding Lucic and his contract. They better hope the next CBA negotiations include this again.

Compliance buyout. ... Following the 2012–13 NHL lockout each team was granted one accelerated compliance buyout in order for teams to meet the lowered salary cap. This could be used on a player with a salary cap hit of US$3 million or more before the regular season began.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Unless Lucic is willing to waive his NMC and then drop that restriction from his new team he is going nowhere. Can't imagine any NHL team wanting that NMC and having to protect him in the expansion draft.

Doesn’t it drop to a modified NTC for 2021?

Not sure if that will require an protected spot or not.

I think he does, would definitely have to drop the NMC by then for anyone to take him on.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

why do all our trades, involve players we don’t feel we need for something good from other teams. 

tanev and sutter are injury prone. goldobin is an enigma. teams might have interest in virtanen, juolevi or gaudette but why would they be interested in our borderline, or often injured players?

Edited by smithers joe
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Doesn’t it drop to a modified NTC for 2021?

Not sure if that will require an protected spot or not.

Yeah, good catch. He won't need to be protected for the expansion draft. His contract will call for him to submit a list of 8 teams he will accept a trade to for the 2022/23 season and 10 teams for the last year of his contract

5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Yeah, good catch. He won't need to be protected for the expansion draft. His contract will call for him to submit a list of 8 teams he will accept a trade to for the 2022/23 season and 10 teams for the last year of his contract

i don’t know if that is right, because they say you have to protect nmc players but you don’t have to protect ntc players.

18 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

why do all our trades, involve players we don’t feel we need for something good from other teams. 

tanev and sutter are injury prone. goldobin is an enigma. teams might have interest in virtanen, juolevi or gaudette but why would they be interested in our borderline, or often injured players?

well to be fair some of them have Lucic coming our way.

I disagree on Sutter, he should be fully healthy and ready to go soon. He would help them a great deal by allowing RNH to take more offensive roles again. 

Just now, smithers joe said:

i don’t know if that is right, because they say you have to protect nmc players but you don’t have to protect ntc players.

He will be on an expiring NMC when the expansion draft takes place Joe so that should mean he does not have to be protected.The rules for the last expansion draft included this:

All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

He will be on an expiring NMC when the expansion draft takes place Joe so that should mean he does not have to be protected.The rules for the last expansion draft included this:

All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Cap friendly lists it as both a NMC and limited NTC.  Does that mean he can have both active at the same time?

Like he can’t be waived but can be traded to his list?

Reading articles it suggests he needs to be protected, but who knows if the writers know anything.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well to be fair some of them have Lucic coming our way.

I disagree on Sutter, he should be fully healthy and ready to go soon. He would help them a great deal by allowing RNH to take more offensive roles again. 

Definitely the Oilers would want Sutter to play that shut-down center role.  We would definitely need to add though.  I could see Sutter plus 10OA to move up to 8OA.

To get 8OA without including 10OA would cost Sutter plus a lot more, I think.  Sutter plus Jake plus our 2020 second?  Would that be enough?

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

Cap friendly lists it as both a NMC and limited NTC.  Does that mean he can have both active at the same time?

Reading articles it suggests he needs to be protected, but who knows if the writers know anything.

He has to be protected.  Expansion is considered a movement and he has a No Movement Clause.  

A 'full NMC' or 'NMC' is a no movement with a full no trade.  

A 'limited NMC', or 'modified NMC', or 'NMC with limited NTC' are all in the same vein - the player is protected from a movement but can be traded under given conditions.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

A NMC means that a team virtually has no way to move you off the roster. You cannot be traded, you cannot be placed on waivers, you cannot be loaned to another team in another league and you cannot be sent to the minors. The fact that Lucic would be required to submit a list of 8 teams that he would accept a move to would suggest to me that a NMC is no longer in place and the contract becomes the modified NTC. That would further suggest that he could be waived or sent to the minors unless his negotiated modified NTC includes wording to the contrary.

I am not sure why CapFriendly shows both at the same time but my take would be he is on a modified NTC at that time and the no move component of the contract had expired.However, I guess I wouldn't rule out restrictions in his contract that wouldn't rule out some components of the NMC.

Gotta get a copy of contract and have our lawyers review. :frantic:

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have no interest in helping the Oilers. They will make their pick, and then ruin the development, as usual. Benning will get a good one at #10. But okay, here's my deal:

to VAN: Lucic and the #8

to EDM - #10

(Canucks will take over Lucic's contract, as a huge favour lol)

Take on Lucic just to move up two spots?? Yea no thanks. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Looking at the top 10 picks, I think by far our best shot at getting another pick in that range is with Edmonton.

Total tire fire, frustrated superstar, angry fan base, only 8.4 mil in cap space + whatever the cap goes up by. Seems like a perfect storm to get  that pick.

Can we put together a package that makes sense?

I think we could get that pick for sure if in the scenario we take Lucic off their hands, but there has to be a better option than that. 

Interested to hear some ideas on what gets us that #8 pick. 

How a bout give them nothing and stay at 10 & still get the better player... ::D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

This article is interesting, it talks about Russel.  But checking Sportrac, Lucic’s

contract only lists NTC in those final years and not both a NTC and NMC.

https://www.beerleagueheroes.com/kris-russells-nmc-means-nothing-heres/

CapFriendly does show Lucic as a mandatory protected player for the expansion draft. I would accept this as the "official" position unless something with more credibility comes out.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle