The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is there a pending RFA would gladly surrender four 1st round picks in an offer sheet?

Which player? If any  

96 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No, the only player in the league worth 4 1st rounders is McDavid. I'd think about giving up 2 1sts for Tkachuk though. Him with Petey and Boeser would be destructive. Marner is more talented but I am thinking fit and Tkachuk in theory would be cheaper and fit better with our current top 6 imo. We could use a top 6 guy with an edge to him that can also put up points. Love him or hate him Tkachuk is always a factor in the game, scoring or not.

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

You're talking about giving up potential equivalent to EP40,  Hughes,  OJ & Boeser all in one ill advised move.  

When people start hallucinating about offer sheets, they need to read this ^ and hopefully sober up.  

I don't even think I'd do it for McJesus.   We'd end up like the Coilers but without Draisaitl,  RNH,  Nurse, and Bouchard - and unlike them we know we AINT winning lottos. 

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

When people start hallucinating about offer sheets, they need to read this ^ and hopefully sober up.  

I don't even think I'd do it for McJesus.   We'd end up like the Coilers but without Draisaitl,  RNH,  Nurse, and Bouchard - and unlike them we know we AINT winning lottos. 

michael grabner, patrick white, cody hodgson, and jordan schroeder say hi

i'd give up the motley crew of 4 consecutive 1st round draft picks in exchange for a high value offer sheet for marner

everyone is suddenly on the new canuck quality draft train

it has not always been so

• Thanks 1

People seem to overvalue 1st round picks. Not all 1st rounders pan out and most in this scenario would be in the playoff 1st round pick region, so bottom half. If there is a target like a legit 1st liner or top pairing dman, then it's well worth 4 1sts considering you'd be getting a very young talented player for many years to come. With that said, I'd give up 4 1sts for Aho easily, but Carolina also could easily match it so it will be futile and pointless other than creating tension and possibly a bad rep. Marner would also be a no brainer considering that not only has he been lights out offensively this season, but he's also excellent defensively as well. Rantanen is close, but I think Mackinnon is more of the driver for him, so I don't think I'd make the offer sheet for him.

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

We likely won't be losing a 5th, 5th, 7th and 23rd overall (or in Edmonton's case a 1st, 3rd, 7th and 10th overall). It'll be more like maybe a 14th, 20th, 20th, 26th overall (or something like that, worst case scenario we might lose one top 10 pick if a bad season of injuries arise or whatever). So I'd say we would likely be losing more the equivalent of Boeser, McCann, Shinkaruk, etc. So yes there is a Boeser potential we could lose, but we are talking about adding a Marner or Aho. I would trade Boeser for either in a heartbeat.

And keep in mind that all that "potential" we could lose is what we already have, so when do we start trying to maximize their potential? I don't think an offer sheet will happen, but it certainly would be a bold move that everyone is hoping for.

I wouldn't even surrender 4 1st round picks for McDavid. Hockey is a team sport, more so than other team sports like basketball where one player can carry the entire team because they're on the court the entire time and all the offence can pass through them.

Also, they need to update the $$ to picks ratio. Contracts are getting bigger with the salary cap but it still seems like people the offer sheet structure is set up from 5-6 years ago. 

10 hours ago, xereau said:

Marner is easily worth the 2nd highest 'penalty'.  And if we suddenly are finishing high, say top 3 in the league, and picking late.. yes, maybe is even worth four 1sts. 

Now before you freak, think about it this way:

• There are no guarantees that any of those four picks would play for your team. They are just hypothetical futures.  Lottery tickets.

• Even if they do make it, what are the chance even one is a Mitch Marner?  Damn low. 

• If you play your cards right, each draft you can scoot back up into the same late 1st, early 2nd territory with some shrewd asset flipping, to bolster his cost.

• Four early 2nd rounders recovered through trade, is not that much different than four late 1sts.

• Benning has been showing the league how recovery players, and NCAA  are effective roster bolstering routes.

Marner is is the most complete winger I have seen in a long, long time.  And is only going to get better.  And I honestly do not think there is a better fit in the NHL for Petey's wing.  A play making motor that can chip in a cool 30 himself.  Oh, and PK.  People would FREAK if he cost four 1sts though LOL.  But its not as bad as it initially seems.

I don't know about that, I think Panarin would look as good on EP's wing

2 hours ago, Baer. said:

Anybody worth giving up that much for is worth matching the sheet. That's why they never happen.

Not if they don't have the cap to sign him, even if they attempt to sign and trade I doubt anyone give them 4 1st rounders. Like I think most have said here the only player worth 4 1st rounders is maybe McDick

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

michael grabner, patrick white, cody hodgson, and jordan schroeder say hi

i'd give up the motley crew of 4 consecutive 1st round draft picks in exchange for a high value offer sheet for marner

everyone is suddenly on the new canuck quality draft train

it has not always been so

Nicklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce, Hunter Shinkaruk and Jake Virtanen wave in unison.

Together that's almost a decade of consecutive 1st round picks at the spot we landed.

Based on current development curve and adding a Marner that's likely very representative of what 4 picks could be.

I still don't think I'd do 4 picks, but I'd easily do the second steepest penalty for Marner.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nzan said:

Nicklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce, Hunter Shinkaruk and Jake Virtanen wave in unison.

Together that's almost a decade of consecutive 1st round picks at the spot we landed.

Based on current development curve and adding a Marner that's likely very representative of what 4 picks could be.

I still don't think I'd do 4 picks, but I'd easily do the second steepest penalty for Marner.

Is there any rule about where the picks need to be in the first round?  I we stole Marner for those for first, maybe all four picks are in the 20 to 30 range?  That's 4 average guys, for a guy who is clearly a super duper star.  

I'd offer sheet Marner 12 million X 7 years.  If the Leafs match, they are hooped with the Cap.  If they don't, we get Marner.  (Marner has to sign the offer though)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is there any rule about where the picks need to be in the first round?  I we stole Marner for those for first, maybe all four picks are in the 20 to 30 range?  That's 4 average guys, for a guy who is clearly a super duper star.  

I'd offer sheet Marner 12 million X 7 years.  If the Leafs match, they are hooped with the Cap.  If they don't, we get Marner.  (Marner has to sign the offer though)

Not sure I follow - the picks are the draft picks representative of our place in the standings. So for example, above I listed Shinkaruk and Virtanen, not Horvat and McCann

1 minute ago, nzan said:

Not sure I follow - the picks are the draft picks representative of our place in the standings. So for example, above I listed Shinkaruk and Virtanen, not Horvat and McCann

The Leafs would get our 2020, 2020, 2022, and 2023 first rounders, right?  I would expect with Marner, and our young guy maturing, we would be picking at the bottom of the first round for those four years (17 to 30)  To me, those picks are unlikely to produce a Marner player, which makes the offer sheet (if signed and not matched) worth it.   

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Leafs would get our 2020, 2020, 2022, and 2023 first rounders, right?  I would expect with Marner, and our young guy maturing, we would be picking at the bottom of the first round for those four years (17 to 30)  To me, those picks are unlikely to produce a Marner player, which makes the offer sheet (if signed and not matched) worth it.   

This is pretty much it. It's generally said that the "winner" of a trade is who gets the best player out of it and Marner is very likely to be just that. It's possibly to find a gem in that late region like a Boeser or Pastrnak for example, but that's a lot of maybes for what we would be getting in return. I think some are overvaluing our picks because they are looking at our history of top 10 picks that we've been getting lately, which likely wouldn't be the case when adding someone like Marner to the mix that we already have.

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 1

id offers sheet marner 6 yrs 10.05 mill a yr  with 25 mill of it being a signing bonus  that way wed give up 2 firsts a second and third   and wed get him for his prime yrs 21-27 almost 28  but only giving up late first rounders  because a lineup of.          pearson petey marner

virtanen horvat boeser

mcewen gaudette goldo

leivo   beagle motte 

edler stecher

hughes tryamkin

juolevi 

marky

demko

looks unreal

9 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

id offers sheet marner 6 yrs 10.05 mill a yr  with 25 mill of it being a signing bonus  that way wed give up 2 firsts a second and third   and wed get him for his prime yrs 21-27 almost 28  but only giving up late first rounders  because a lineup of.          pearson petey marner

virtanen horvat boeser

mcewen gaudette goldo

leivo   beagle motte 

edler stecher

hughes tryamkin

juolevi 

marky

demko

looks unreal

I assume he’ll be looking for more money and longer term 

• Upvote 1