The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] sell high & buy low - Markstrom for Martine Jones+

> Markstrom just had the best year of his career

> Jones had the worst year of his career

> Jones is a Vancouver native and a legit starting goalie who is capable of getting shutouts which Markstrom is statistically one of the worst ever at in NHL history

> Both are 29

...Sharks will want to make some sort of change if they fall short of a Cup appearance, probably even a conference final appearance. Their window is shrinking as the core is getting up there in age nearing the end.

Markstrom gives them a shake up and fresh goalie and cap relief. He has 1yr left @ $3.6m whereas Jones will have 5yrs @ $5.75m. Statistically speaking, a goalie having a career year this late in his career when he’s never shown consistency or signs of being a capable starter before is a fluke whereas starter goalies like Jones have their downs but comeback from it.

AKA, Jones has much higher odds of bouncing back versus thinking Markstrom can keep this up going forward after having this flash season. Sharks would bite on this deal as they will be desperate to make a change of scenery deal and get cap relief which this does. As for a deal, can do anything along these lines

Markstrom for Jones+Labanc/3rd

or

Markstrom+Virtanen for Jones+Meier

or

Markstrom for Jones+Checkovich / Chmelevski

...can do a trade for a middle6 roster player or pick, maybe a package for a bigger roster player, or for a prospect that has promise with excellent production. 

I’d be all for it, just to take advantage of the circumstances in getting an extra asset(s) and better goalie.

Jones could start while letting Demko develop and not be rushed. 1 or 2 or 3 years down the road, can decide to move either goalie. Jones contract is not terrible. 

I doubt San Jose thinks that Markstrom is the goalie to take them to the promise land.  Keep Markstrom, see how Demko does, protect the best one in the expansion draft and Seattle probably takes the unprotected one.

4 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

> Jones is a Vancouver native and a legit starting goalie who is capable of getting shutouts which Markstrom is statistically one of the worst ever at in NHL history

> Both are 29

...Sharks will want to make some sort of change if they fall short of a Cup appearance, probably even a conference final appearance. Their window is shrinking as the core is getting up there in age nearing the end.

Markstrom gives them a shake up and fresh goalie and cap relief. He has 1yr left @ $3.6m whereas Jones will have 5yrs @ $5.75m. Statistically speaking, a goalie having a career year this late in his career when he’s never shown consistency or signs of being a capable starter before is a fluke whereas starter goalies like Jones have their downs but comeback from it.

AKA, Jones has much higher odds of bouncing back versus thinking Markstrom can keep this up going forward after having this flash season. Sharks would bite on this deal as they will be desperate to make a change of scenery deal and get cap relief which this does. As for a deal, can do anything along these lines

or

or

...can do a trade for a middle6 roster player or pick, maybe a package for a bigger roster player, or for a prospect that has promise with excellent production. 

I’d be all for it, just to take advantage of the circumstances in getting an extra asset(s) and better goalie.

Jones could start while letting Demko develop and not be rushed. 1 or 2 or 3 years down the road, can decide to move either goalie. Jones contract is not terrible. 

If I was a betting man?

Single most likely scenario with Markstrom is that he is earmarked for Seattle...

One thing we have seen is that since the Bo deal, goalies have had little trade value unless the other GM you are trading with is related.

I have thought that it may be time to sell high on Markstrom or Hutton.  There are only so many pieces to trade to fix the problems in our system and the players that make the most sense to move on from like Sutter and Tanev are probably at a low in regards to their value.

Adding a goalie with a longer term and bigger contract isn't a great idea as goalie is one of our stronger positions from an organizational depth perspective.

8 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

> Both are 29

or

or

Markstrom + Virtanen for Jones + Meier?!

San Jose wouldn't even trade Meier 78(GP) 30(G) 36(A) 66(TP) straight up for Markstrom + Virtanen!

Soo this proposal will never happen, you don't get value for "garbage". 

I laughed at the Meier trade. He performed like a 1st line forward this year and is still young.

The idea isn't too bad, but I do like Markstrom and it feels a bit risky to trade him away, even if we get another (worse) starter back.

On 4/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, -AJ- said:

I laughed at the Meier trade. He performed like a 1st line forward this year and is still young.

The idea isn't too bad, but I do like Markstrom and it feels a bit risky to trade him away, even if we get another (worse) starter back.

Every trade scenario made me laugh lol. The other two were too small of a return that had me like “what’s the point” then the Meier trade is so heavily tilted in Vancouvers favour. Just keep it simple.

Markstrom for Jones and 1rst rounder in 2019.

SJ gets the cheaper goalie who is playing better. They can allocate saved cap to go for the last couple playoff pushes they have. 

I don't think markies great year is going to end.  He will pick up where he left off.

What would Vancouver be without a goalie controversy. 

We should be getting back to normal here by Christmas.  Markstrom is our louongo and demko is our schnieder 

Jones has a .910 save percentage and approx. 2.50 goals against average while playing an average 63 games per year over his 4 year tenure with San Jose

His contract has 5 more years at $5,750,000...…...

I personally think from what I hear out of San Jose, that Jones has been playing pretty terrible, and most of his success has come from playing on a good team...….

I am banking on San Jose having a Scott Darling on their hands for a lot more money and a lot longer contract...………………..as San Jose ages, it isn't going to get any better.

IMO...……………...Happy Easter!

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

> Both are 29

or

or

I think we're destined to keep both Markstrom & Demko.

Markstrom will be the sacrificial lamb which shields more important players in the expansion draft.

If we're going to ''sell high,'' bet on Demko being #1 ready now? Target a quality prospect.  

29 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Great call tonight!

He played well tonight but that has no bearing on the validity of my comment ; although I will say he does step up in the playoffs. In the reg. season , however, he has been fair to poor the last few seasons.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] sell high & buy low - Markstrom for Martine Jones+

Archived