The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sri Lanka blasts: 359 dead in 7 explosions in churches, hotels on Easter

nuckin_futz

(CNN)Bomb blasts hit several high-end hotels and churches across Sri Lanka on Sunday morning, killing at least 138 people and injuring 560.

Explosions occurred during Easter services at churches in the cities of Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa. Additional blasts ripped through three hotels, the Shangri La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury Hotel, all in capital city Colombo, according to state broadcaster SLRC.

At least nine foreigners are among the dead in Colombo.

Sri Lankan security officials said police and security services immediately rushed to all affected areas and sealed off the churches and hotels.

In a statement, the Shangri-La hotel in Colombo said that the hotel's Table One cafe was hit just after 9 a.m local time. The hotel is popular with foreign tourists and the country's business community.

Sri Lankan security personnel keep watch outside a church in Colombo after a blast Sunday.

Sri Lankan security personnel keep watch outside a church in Colombo after a blast Sunday.

The country's authorities convened an emergency meeting involving the heads of the army, air force and navy, according to Sri Lanka's economic reforms minister, Harsha de Silva.

He said on Twitter that all emergency steps had been taken and that the group would issue a statement on the blasts.

Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe condemned the blasts on Twitter, calling on Sri Lankans to "remain united and strong."

President Maithripala Sirisena also spoke out following the attacks. "I have given instructions to take very stern action against the persons who are responsible for this conspiracy," he said.

Leave has been cancelled for all police in Sri Lanka.

"Horrible scenes, I saw many body parts strewn all over," de Silva said after visiting the Kochchikade church and Shangri-La Hotel in Colombo. "We took multiple casualties to hospital. Hopefully saved many lives."

De Silva confirmed that foreigners were among the casualties and said rescue operations were underway, adding that emergency crews were operating in "full force."

The death toll now sits at 156.
Edited by nuckin_futz

Probably lot's of good things happened in the world yesterday but this story is what the media will jam down our throats.

A couple of bumbling muslims managed to blow up part of their country, STOP THE PRESS!!!

Edited by Boeserker
  • Wat 10

1 hour ago, Boeserker said:

Probably lot's of good things happened in the world yesterday but this story is what the media will jam down our throats.

A couple of bumbling muslims managed to blow up part of their country, STOP THE PRESS!!!

The hell kind of comment is this? Hundreds of people were murdered in a terrorist attack. That's kind of significant. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The hell kind of comment is this? Hundreds of people were murdered in a terrorist attack. That's kind of significant. 

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Think before you say something.  156 dead; men, women and children.  Show some respect.

Spare me the false outrage lol you will have completely forgotten about this incident by dinnertime tonight and be on to the next one in order to signal your virtues . I  am sickened to say that I have become desensitized to muslim bombings and American mass shootings. They are pathetic.

If you want to yell at someone about respect, yell at the media, yell at the Stone Age religion causing all these murders.

I'm just a guy on the internet who doesn't give 2 $&!#s about muslim terrorist attacks anymore. I am a product of the 21st century.

In other news: Jesus Christ is risen!  Spread the good news!

Edited by Boeserker
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hundreds of kids died of hunger yesterday. Possibly hundreds more from opioid overdoses. Million of bunnies have had their eggs needlessly taken and eaten from this very morning!! Where's your bleeding hearts for all of those casualties!

We all want to save the world, I'd love to see your plan.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Boeserker said:

First of all, tell me where it said Muslim attack. 

Second, these weren’t just locals that were killed, but tourists. Not as many of them, yeah, but these are people that were either celebrating Easter Sunday at the church, or on vacation for it and just like that, they perished. These are innocent men, women and children and you laugh it off. 

I understand the numbness from so many attacks. I get it, it affects us all, but that doesn’t mean it has no importance. It hurts to see this sort of news every other week, and I know there’s more not covered in the media. That doesn’t mean, however, that you can ignore it because “it happens often.” 

There’s so much more I want to say, but to keep getting banned, I’ll stop here. 

I wonder if this had anything to do with these attacks.  People are quick to put all the blame on Islam, but are ignoring the violent recent history of Sri Lanka. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48001720

"The nation has seen some sporadic violence since. In March 2018 a state of emergency was declared after members of the majority Buddhist Sinhala community attacked mosques and Muslim-owned properties"

2 hours ago, Boeserker said:

Hundreds of kids died of hunger yesterday. Possibly hundreds more from opioid overdoses. Million of bunnies have had their eggs needlessly taken and eaten from this very morning!! Where's your bleeding hearts for all of those casualties!

We all want to save the world, I'd love to see your plan.

The Internet - Helping morons self identify since 1995.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1