The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sri Lanka blasts: 359 dead in 7 explosions in churches, hotels on Easter

nuckin_futz

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do you see  all organized  religions  as dividing people and teaching / promoting  intolerance ?  Or  do you see only  certain religions doing this on a larger scale.

Just curious on your thoughts .....

Mate, there are only two 'organized' religions on this planet - Judaism and Christianity. Islam and Hinduism are semi-organized - while they have an established order of priesthood and beliefs substantiated from one or various texts ( as is the case with Hinduism), there is no clergy order like Judiam or Orthodox/Catholicism of Christianity. Protestant-ism is therefore, semi-organized ( though bulk majority of Christians are Orthodox + Catholic, which have organized heirarchies).

Then there are unorganized religions like Jainism, Buddhim, Shintoism, etc. 

I see each and every religion to be different in its effects, because each and every religion is different in its focus. One creates the greatest amount of 'modification of self desires' than any other. One creates the greatest amount of 'seeking converts' than any other. One creates greatest amount of intolerance towards nonbelievers. There is hardly a parameter on which any two religions are 'almost alike', except maybe Buddhism and Jainism when it comes to aggressive use of physical force. 

I personally know of 4 religions due to 'life happens' reasons and all 4 are quite starkly different from each other in each and every aspect. As such, i reject the western marxist propagated viewpoint of 'all religions are the same' as nothing more than nonsense. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Mate, there are only two 'organized' religions on this planet - Judaism and Christianity. Islam and Hinduism are semi-organized - while they have an established order of priesthood and beliefs substantiated from one or various texts ( as is the case with Hinduism), there is no clergy order like Judiam or Orthodox/Catholicism of Christianity. Protestant-ism is therefore, semi-organized ( though bulk majority of Christians are Orthodox + Catholic, which have organized heirarchies).

Then there are unorganized religions like Jainism, Buddhim, Shintoism, etc. 

I see each and every religion to be different in its effects, because each and every religion is different in its focus. One creates the greatest amount of 'modification of self desires' than any other. One creates the greatest amount of 'seeking converts' than any other. One creates greatest amount of intolerance towards nonbelievers. There is hardly a parameter on which any two religions are 'almost alike', except maybe Buddhism and Jainism when it comes to aggressive use of physical force. 

I personally know of 4 religions due to 'life happens' reasons and all 4 are quite starkly different from each other in each and every aspect. As such, i reject the western marxist propagated viewpoint of 'all religions are the same' as nothing more than nonsense. 

I find it fascinating that you continue to draw on this mythical monotlithic Marxist school of thought without invitation. Aside from being incorrect in my view, it is also quite random.

3 minutes ago, Jack_T said:

I find it fascinating that you continue to draw on this mythical monotlithic Marxist school of thought without invitation. Aside from being incorrect in my view, it is also quite random.

There is nothing random about it, since having grown up in a part of the world that democratically elected communists, i am fluent in Das Kapital and as a student of history ( in my spare time), see the effects of communist thinking in the western left-wing in some aspects ( namely, same marxist application of religion monolithically) as quite prevalent. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

There is nothing random about it, since having grown up in a part of the world that democratically elected communists, i am fluent in Das Kapital and as a student of history ( in my spare time), see the effects of communist thinking in the western left-wing in some aspects ( namely, same marxist application of religion monolithically) as quite prevalent. 

Marxism does not inherently paint a broad brush of religion. Perhaps an application of some dusty old Marxist-Leninist view could weakly suggest as

much, but that sure would be a wasteful exercise!

16 minutes ago, Jack_T said:

Marxism does not inherently paint a broad brush of religion. Perhaps an application of some dusty old Marxist-Leninist view could weakly suggest as

much, but that sure would be a wasteful exercise!

Yes, it does. 

In entirity of Das Kapital, the bulk majority of addressing religion is done by the widest possible brush: lack of any discerning towards said religion/religious systems being addressed.

Dusty old Marxist-lenninist view ? I am sorry, but Marxism is reliant on Marx and Engels's works and they are the fundamental paradigm pillars of Marxism, aka communism. To suggest they are 'out-dated' is as assinine as suggesting that the Koran is 'outdated' to the muslims. 

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Yes, it does. 

In entirity of Das Kapital, the bulk majority of addressing religion is done by the widest possible brush: lack of any discerning towards said religion/religious systems being addressed.

Dusty old Marxist-lenninist view ? I am sorry, but Marxism is reliant on Marx and Engels's works and they are the fundamental paradigm pillars of Marxism, aka communism. To suggest they are 'out-dated' is as assinine as suggesting that the Koran is 'outdated' to the muslims. 

They are outdated. To read them any other way is to hold a dogmatic Leftist view. Ironically, your Koran analogy illustrates this perfectly. Moreover, it is counter to Marx’s own method of analysis. His (incomplete) works are fundamental building blocks, full stop. 

10 minutes ago, Jack_T said:

They are outdated. To read them any other way is to hold a dogmatic Leftist view. Ironically, your Koran analogy illustrates this perfectly. Moreover, it is counter to Marx’s own method of analysis. His (incomplete) works are fundamental building blocks, full stop. 

they are not outdated to marxism and communism, any-more than Keynes is outdated to Capitalism or Bible is outdated to Christianity. You cannot have Marxism without the tenets established by Marx. Its just that simple.

As you said they are fundamental building blocks - discarding which, by definition, discards communism/marxism. 

And as i said, the claim of dogmatism is applicable to the modern western left, which holds the same dogmatic monolithic view of all religion when addressing it, hence the left's aversion towards differentiating between the religions when issuing proclamations. 

Edited by canuckistani

20 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

A little late for all the "Easter worshippers" thing.  This is the headline from an article on FOX NEWS.  I think this headline adequately retorts all the b.s. complaints by certain people.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/tourists-easter-worshippers-lament-closure-of-notre-dame

Tourists, Easter worshippers lament closure of Notre Dame

Not quite... you should have clicked on the link.  in the opening sentence:

"PARIS – Tourists, devout Catholics and others"

Half a point at best.  Still doesn't change the fact that Obama et al refuse to be seen sending comfort specifically to Christians, treating them the same as they would Muslims in New Zealand.

25 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Not quite... you should have clicked on the link.  in the opening sentence:

"PARIS – Tourists, devout Catholics and others"

Half a point at best.  Still doesn't change the fact that Obama et al refuse to be seen sending comfort specifically to Christians, treating them the same as they would Muslims in New Zealand.

How dare they!!

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

No I don't read the bible, or the Koran. Or attempt to justify hate, which you may be? I have been in Ismali & Punjabi temples, synagogues & bell shaped churches.

I took this very picture myself.

Funny enough, only days earlier on the same trip I got stuck in Singapore at the airport. On my way to Mumbai when a different terrorist attack occurred. I missed it by 4 hours. 

image.thumb.png.d6f1604cb23328c150436f392eb68154.png

This particular mosque is thousands of years old. Used to be a catholic church. I have been to them all.

Any more questions?

Maybe the masses treating religious places of worship as tourist sites and selfie opportunities is also spurring Western resentment amongst non-easter celebrators.

22 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You can walk to it from the Blue Mosque. Which we also visited. I'd add pictures, but yours is already spectacular. That one the Hagia Sophia. 

We were travelling to Ottawa for Christmas from Australia. Had stops in Singapore, were supposed to go to Mumbai, Rome, London, Ottawa, then home to Vancouver, Hong Kong then back to my adopted home in Perth Australia. Round the world tours cheaper than a two way flight. Went to Istanbul, rerouted, as a stop, because of the terrorist attack in Mumbai. They were hanging white people from the windows of the Taj hotel across the street from where we were to stay. It did not seem the time to go?  

Visited both as well.  Amazing.  I put on a robe thingy to cover up my shorts and tank top.

istanbul is incredible.

8 hours ago, Boeserker said:

Maybe the masses treating religious places of worship as tourist sites and selfie opportunities is also spurring Western resentment amongst non-easter celebrators.

Maybe?

But maybe not.  There are plenty of tourists, lots more, for example, in Rome. But locals are not excited about tourists there, they see dollar signs and overcrowding. 

Turkey is not as wealthy. In Istanbul we were welcomed in peoples homes, given coffee in their shops, people talked to us in the streets & on the train. At the temples, there were programs to invite visitors, share the experience. Constantinople converted to Istanbul when the Byzantine empire conquered more than 500 years ago, the Catholic church converted to a temple. Its amazing, holds 12,000 people at a time, enormous. Built 2000 years ago in the time of Caesar. Caesarean churches are architectural digs in Rome, they are alive and standing in Istanbul. Aqueducts and stadiums and other artifacts. In the temple, there were careful restorations of catholic features, such as the mosaics, which at one time had been covered in Persian tiles. But similar representations and presentations of Turkish culture proudly set up to display. All factored in times between the calls to prayer that ring throughout the day. 

Everyone I met was genuine, enthusiastic that people wanted to see their culture, their history.

I believe the opposite to be the case. Visit people, show them respect & interest, let them show their culture.

There will be lower barriers, less resentment.  

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe?

But maybe not.  There are plenty of tourists, lots more, for example, in Rome. But locals are not excited about tourists there, they see dollar signs and overcrowding. 

Turkey is not as wealthy. In Istanbul we were welcomed in peoples homes, given coffee in their shops, people talked to us in the streets & on the train. At the temples, there were programs to invite visitors, share the experience. Constantinople converted to Istanbul when the Byzantine empire conquered more than 500 years ago, the Catholic church converted to a temple. Its amazing, holds 12,000 people at a time, enormous. Built 2000 years ago in the time of Caesar. Caesarean churches are architectural digs in Rome, they are alive and standing in Istanbul. Aqueducts and stadiums and other artifacts. In the temple, there were careful restorations of catholic features, such as the mosaics, which at one time had been covered in Persian tiles. But similar representations and presentations of Turkish culture proudly set up to display. All factored in times between the calls to prayer that ring throughout the day. 

Everyone I met was genuine, enthusiastic that people wanted to see their culture, their history.

I believe the opposite to be the case. Visit people, show them respect & interest, let them show their culture.

There will be lower barriers, less resentment.  

Non-easter caring Ramadan worshippers are not just from Istanbul. Istanbul is kind of like a Vancouver stuck in Alberta, politically speaking - the city itself is very liberal and has been at the recieving end of Erdogan's Islamist policies and protestations. 

Maybe its the Ramadan worshippers from outside Istanbul that are upset at selling out a place of religious worship to the mighty satanical dollar. 

Unsubstantiated belief systems - be it about God or how people should be/are - are equally dangerous and ruinous to a civilized continuum of mankind. You have amply demonstrated, that you are more keen to peddle your unsubstantiated beliefs about religions than actual understanding or investigation of anything cogent. 

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Getting tired of updating this total. Hopefully this is the last time.

359 :(

Reports are 9 suicide bombers. Reportedly all well educated Sri Lankans from fairly well to do families. Including 1 woman bomber.

Honestly it's this death total scoreboard mentality and the focus on the perpetrators that is the most disgusting to me. 

Why is it so titillating to hear a rising death count and the gruesome details for a lot of people?

The media almost glorifies and feeds the hate machine. It's just like 1984 come to life.

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Maybe?

Turkey is not as wealthy. In Istanbul we were welcomed in peoples homes, given coffee in their shops, people talked to us in the streets & on the train. At the temples, there were programs to invite visitors, share the experience. Constantinople converted to Istanbul when the Byzantine empire conquered more than 500 years ago, the Catholic church converted to a temple. Its amazing, holds 12,000 people at a time, enormous. Built 2000 years ago in the time of Caesar. Caesarean churches are architectural digs in Rome, they are alive and standing in Istanbul. Aqueducts and stadiums and other artifacts. In the temple, there were careful restorations of catholic features, such as the mosaics, which at one time had been covered in Persian tiles. But similar representations and presentations of Turkish culture proudly set up to display. All factored in times between the calls to prayer that ring throughout the day. I have travelled and been to hundreds of churches/temples/whatever. However, visiting these sites for a matter of hours or minutes, taking a picture, and then regurgitating simple facts without much context does not make me a religious expert.

Everyone I met was genuine, enthusiastic that people wanted to see their culture, their history.I'm sure they were. Did you expect them to roll out their centuries long plan to murder the infidels while one stood in their doorway? That's not how they operate, they are secretive, cellular, unethical and ideological. They have no respect for modern international borders and that is why the West will never fully defeat the ideology in any kind of "modernly ethical" way. It's a sickness that is embedded into generations of these people. You are viewing things though altruistic Western eyes. They aren't, and that is what most people fail to realize.

There will be lower barriers, less resentment.  Reminds of how the USA spreads democracy and freedom. Show up on someones door and say "Hi! You're going to suck my freedom and love it!"

Edited by Boeserker
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Getting tired of updating this total. Hopefully this is the last time.

359 :(

Reports are 9 suicide bombers. Reportedly all well educated Sri Lankans from fairly well to do families. Including 1 woman bomber.

Well hard to treat this as good news given the situation but they just lowered the death toll by over 100. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Well hard to treat this as good news given the situation but they just lowered the death toll by over 100. 

Yeah. Saw that earlier today. Hard to be happy, but it definitely is a silver lining.

11 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yes that was good news. Not really sure how that happens. Doesn't make Sri Lankan authorities look like they know what they're doing.

"Sri Lanka - A less competent India".