The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need advice: phone network in Banff

Kragar

Hey CDC, especially Alberta residents.  A co-worker is heading up to Banff/Lake Louise soon for vacation (yeah, I'm jealous... it's on my travel wishlist).

Her current phone plan is too expensive to use during international travel, and wants to buy a pre-paid SIM card for her visit to Canada. Network quality is important to her.

As my phone works fine in Canada at no extra charge, I have no helpful experience for her.

Thanks in advance for your help.

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our wall is almost finished, so her timing is good.  Another couple weeks, and she would need a new phone plan and a ladder.  

How about, considering it’s a vacation, your friend leaves her phone at home?  

Who knows... she might just want the convenience of having a phone up there for vacation-related things.  But, she was my boss a few years back, and she would text me at any hour when she thought of something needing doing, so I can't say she won't leave her work behind. Sad, I know.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Who knows... she might just want the convenience of having a phone up there for vacation-related things.  But, she was my boss a few years back, and she would text me at any hour when she thought of something needing doing, so I can't say she won't leave her work behind. Sad, I know.

I don’t know about pre paid plans. But I have Rogers and don’t really have any issues with connections once I’m in banff. I think there’s a good 30-40 min stretch while driving out there where no there’s no service for any provider. 

If she’s in to hiking at all Johnston canyons is a nice like trip as well as lake moraine. If she’s not into hiking and is just looking for view lake Louise is beautiful and even a two jack lake is only a 10 min drive from banff and provides some nice uncrowded views. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Baer. said:

I recently went to Banff. I use Telus. I had good coverage in Banff town and surrounding areas. Don't know how good the connection would be by the lake though. Not as rural as you would think.

I was just there as well, Lake Louise connection was fine. 

A picture for the hockey forum (one of the other lakes in the area, not Lake Louise which is probably the most beautiful place I've skated). 

S-P5WBRBZgQY_mDaUIDk-zvZyJ6-CnLPBLr7qhQMqwL73CMFb7rlv0eQi4BZokgnhv2m3E9EN1DqosK_nO-IWZAbC2MSda1XoQs_X_WfM4HUtpKriq9A8ae1HtAf7DfdrF9s8lYlIhS0_y2Ty0XGCLhzCMdFhOsnHNH0VMQf8LhASGfhH3Sr7qwa6PZviy4c--JxQ5_o3ngvQp0ioT1919hjeoKsBs9tBckTEISVwfytdiw7CkwN_cLepL62FKvZcEUs_fDtCOpep0wMSgCn9W9IdZw4tBpmUZUmWIztkk0rCu0TOZc5KhowpXaveTpWs7zPA5G9qYows3426kc-iX4GtbE0-26FPWhB5kDljpxUOICtcLLyqLW7tq2feFGTavbxNDwuibF2bSG3mGeSZ-rtPFn3dBPV3CDg97Q5Kri6q44c5gSdNpdXlQ9egS1YgbtDGYWkn_oCTBLFUF0GJlKn7Y_mzMAGTm15Ca5WyBikmD_hqcKBfaaFtDqJOBJJFw_59LnaYSzP7sZnqvrguCTumvWn_9abMflB_3D-ocCCEZdglvVKsHYDVK-QFgb4Z-xma958lF2XJ3xX3DeOc5WiFahsxZUFPhXNAXRg_YEyz7cGevKOIPlyRKv3V0G_GYruYLrngAgxB0KVbP-GGJ3btRF-mFA=w927-h695-no

I use T-Mobile, and it's great.  My plan includes free unlimited data and minutes in Canada, USA, and Mexico, and taxes are included.  I even used my phone in Quebec City for Google maps. I was walking the neighborhoods, and got a little lost.  

14 minutes ago, brilac said:

I use T-Mobile, and it's great.  My plan includes free unlimited data and minutes in Canada, USA, and Mexico, and taxes are included.  I even used my phone in Quebec City for Google maps. I was walking the neighborhoods, and got a little lost.  

That's what I have too... love it, for the most part.  perfect for calling my family back home in Vancouver area.