The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I disagree with the Masses this foward group is not the probem

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

What this team needs is for the Sedins to come in and train these wanna be NHL'ers on how to stay healthy.The Sedins played the hardest minutes for the Canucks for years and rarely got hurt so they must know a solution,that could help.

It seems we are doing just fine and then,the injury bug knocks us out of the playoff picture.

Mr. Sutter has been hurt more with the Canucks than ever in his whole career,WHY?

It looks like Mr. Tanev is made of glass,he is for a fact the hit'ee and not the hit'er.I like his game, but defense men can go over center ice with the puck and take a shot on goal,and help with the offense.

Some "big bodied" fast, skilled wingers are never a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

What this team needs is for the Sedins to come in and train these wanna be NHL'ers on how to stay healthy.The Sedins played the hardest minutes for the Canucks for years and rarely got hurt so they must know a solution,that could help.

It seems we are doing just fine and then,the injury bug knocks us out of the playoff picture.

Mr. Sutter has been hurt more with the Canucks than ever in his whole career,WHY?

It looks like Mr. Tanev is made of glass,he is for a fact the hit'ee and not the hit'er.I like his game, but defense men can go over center ice with the puck and take a shot on goal,and help with the offense.

not that I don't agree, but so many of the injuries that have plagued the team in the last 3 years have been freak accidents that physical fitness couldn't have stopped.  That said, I agree some could have been avoided with some common sense, especially with tanev.

11 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

not that I don't agree, but so many of the injuries that have plagued the team in the last 3 years have been freak accidents that physical fitness couldn't have stopped.  That said, I agree some could have been avoided with some common sense, especially with tanev.

Some will also naturally be 'fixed' by continuing to become a better team with more puck possession as the rebuild continues/players mature.

I looks to me like Benning might really over-value his players. Tanev, for example. I'm sure Benning has received many offers for Tanev, but yet he's still a Canuck and may be relied upon again next season to be the #2 guy. Sutter too, Benning may feel he's worth more as a penalty killer and faceoff guy than in a trade.

The D needs help. These are the only keepers on the current roster IMO:

- Edler

- Hughes

- Schenn

With regards to Hutton and Stecher, they are still youngish (25), so they have some time to improve still. I'd be okay if they were traded for an upgrade though too.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I looks to me like Benning might really over-value his players. Tanev, for example. I'm sure Benning has received many offers for Tanev, but yet he's still a Canuck and may be relied upon again next season to be the #2 guy. Sutter too, Benning may feel he's worth more as a penalty killer and faceoff guy than in a trade.

The D needs help. These are the only keepers on the current roster IMO:

- Edler

- Hughes

- Schenn

With regards to Hutton and Stecher, they are still youngish (25), so they have some time to improve still. I'd be okay if they were traded for an upgrade though too.

Or he's not being offered anything worth moving them for (or anything at all in the case of injured players). I'd rather keep Tanev than take a late 3rd for him.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Or he's not being offered anything worth moving them for (or anything at all in the case of injured players). I'd rather keep Tanev than take a late 3rd for him.

That's the tough part too. Because Tanev is so injury prone now, not many (or, no) teams will be interested in paying the man $4.5 to sit on the IR. Well, Tanev is a good Dman when he's playing, hopefully he can stay healthy next season.

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Sure, yet somehow, stupid TO managed to turn Dion and Phil into today’s core, but our management couldn’t make similar moves. 

#properrebuild aka intentional Tanking, not accidentally, is base management principles theory. 

Ottawa Senators acquire Date Toronto Maple Leafs acquire
Ottawa_Senators.gif Dion Phaneuf
Matt Frattin
Casey Bailey
Ryan Rupert
Cody Donaghey
February 9, 2016
Jared Cowen
Colin Greening
Milan Michalek
Tobias Lindberg
2017 2nd round pick
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif

The 2nd round pick was Eemeli Rasanen. There's no one there part of their core.

Pittsburgh Penguins acquire Date Toronto Maple Leafs acquire
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif Phil Kessel
Tim Erixon
Tyler Biggs
2016 conditional 2nd round pick
July 1, 2015
Kasperi Kapanen
Scott Harrington
Nick Spaling
2016 conditional 1st round pick
2016 3rd round pick
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif

The 1st round pick (Sam Steel) was traded along with a 2nd round pick (Maxime Comtois) for Fredrik Andersen. Andersen has indeed been a key piece for their uptick, but that's two very good prospects going to Anahiem that will likely be part of their core. Kapanen took 3 years before becoming a player of significant value to their core and may soon be lost. The 3rd round round pick for Toronto became JD Greenway (not to be confused with Jordan Greenway).

Now if the suggestion is that these two deals helped them tank as an aside, then it possibly did, but they got "lucky" to actually win the top pick in Matthews instead of dropping 3 spots and ended up supposedly with a Jesse Puljujarvi (Laine may not have been as effective in Toronto and Dubois probably doesn't get Tavares to sign there). It is a big gamble to take on considering the odds of dropping out of the top pick spot is actually higher than winning the 1st overall by being last place. Would be a bit surprised if the Canucks had the same "luck" in the same circumstances, so if Toronto doesn't win Matthews, who knows where they would even be at this point. When you weed out all the unnecessary pieces, they truly got for their core from these trades was Andersen and likely a year of Kapanen (more if they didn't Matthews though). Doesn't seem to be a whole lot with Kessel winning two Cups (being a key contributor to those) and nearly putting up PPG seasons and losing out on Sam Steel and Maxime Comtois in the process. If Toronto doesn't "slay the dragon", then they may already have to blow up their "core" before even a playoff series win. IMO, Toronto is not exactly the example I would use for a "proper rebuild".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

On d we have 2 complimentary 1st or 2nd pairing guys with Tanev and Edler

And whose praises do they sing?

(Couldn't  help myself - does no-one proof read before hitting "submit")

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Was Pittsburgh’s really 45.2%?  You’re checking the AAV’s right?  I’m too lazy to double check but that seems a lot higher than what I remember.  The only guy that makes close to 10 million is Malkin (9.5).   Crosby is at 8.7, while their other top guys are in the 7-8 range.

When Chicago won their cups, Toews, Kane, Seabrook, and Keith were in the 5-6 million dollar cap range.  Ditto for LA.  Doughty was at 7, but guys like Kopitar, Gaborik, Quick, Carter, Richards, and Doughty were in the 4.5-6 million range.

If I’m doing my ballpark math right, that cap percentage for elite players works out to around the 8.5-9 million range in today’s NHL .......which is approximately what I’m hoping ends up being the highest that we pay for a guy like Pettersson or Hughes if he warrants elite level money.    Anything north of 10, and I suspect that teams will start getting into trouble.  

You look at some of the teams that are really up and coming right now (Colorado, Carolina, etc.)  and they all seem to have their elite talents at cost controlled cap hits.   On the other hand, teams that have players earning over 10 million dollars have NOT won cups.  

From 2010-2015, Crosby and Ovechkin were the clear cut two best players in the game a s yet their teams took a backseat to LA and Chicago.  After Kane, Toews, and Kopitar got their new 10+ million dollar contracts however, those teams stopped winning cups and stopped being relevant forces in the playoffs.  Meanwhile, since the cap increased, Pittsburgh and Washington’s once overly expensive contracts to their elite players were now relatively cost effective......which helped Pittsburgh and Washington invest in the necessary depth to support their elite talents.

Which leads me to my point:  Getting Karlsson would be awesome, but would it decrease our window?  Would we pretty much have to win a cup during our “new window” (the Karlsson Signing to when Pettersson and Hughes Sign long term deals).   If we pay 12 million to Karlsson, then guys like Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, etc., etc., will NOT come cheap....and those guys will NOT be willing to take discounts of any kind. 

Thats why Im interested to see what becomes of Toronto.  They paid a premium price for Matthews and predictably enough, their other young players wanted to be paid at a premium (Matthews, Nylander).  Marners will want the same.  

IF Toronto goes deep into the playoffs next year, and in the following 2-3 years, then I’ll completely admit fault and will admit that I was wrong about the “Toronto model.”

If I was a betting man however, I think “The Toronto model” leads to teams being a perennial bridesmaid.  A good 2nd/3rd round team that ultimately gets defeated by the cup winning team that has cost controlled elite talent + depth.

I have no interest in being this generation’s version of the San Jose Sharks.  I want the Canucks to be this generation’s version of 80’s Islanders/Oilers, 90/00’s Wings/Devils, and 10’s Hawks/Pens.

You're comparing a Norris trophy winning, future HOFer Defenseman, UFA to our core who haven't even played 5 seasons yet combined.  They're going to be RFAs when their contracts are up so the team has more control.   Saying they will not come cheap, depends on how the players feel what they want to do.  Let's hope they're not like Nylander, and hope they're more like the Sedins' in their prime taking hometown discounts.

We need the right mix of grit and skill for the playoffs.

Right now we have great skill spots in the top line (top 3) but the second line could use scoring help big body, Pearson,Lievo, XXX

Rousell,Beagle.Virtanen,Sutter,Gaudette,Motte,Granlund,Goldy, fill out the bottom 6  (unless we can find some fighting help)

Schaller/Erik/Spooner need to trade or waive down to Utica

Edited by Hairy Kneel

erik karlsson isnt the answer  and he isn't coming here   have we not learned  free agents don't usually work out  especially at 12 mil over 7 years   ,we are better off targeting a younger dman   in the same age group as our new core  , and get rid of Eriksson  ffs  6 mill a year he should be scoring 25 goals a year not 25 points   he definitely has to be the worse value active contract out there

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

erik karlsson isnt the answer  and he isn't coming here   have we not learned  free agents don't usually work out  especially at 12 mil over 7 years   ,we are better off targeting a younger dman   in the same age group as our new core  , and get rid of Eriksson  ffs  6 mill a year he should be scoring 25 goals a year not 25 points   he definitely has to be the worse value active contract out there

Not even the worst from that free agency class actually.

edmonton-alberta-july-1-2016-milan-lucic

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

EK is beat up and looks worn out. Plus we need toughness back there. Hughes/Stecher/Tanev need physical help

• Upvote 2

Canucks have problems on Forward and on Defense.... Goaltending looks better.

Basically lots of problems....  99 problems....  maybe...

Canucks new goal  song for next year...  would be great to crank it after each Canuck goal....

Jay Z  99 problems ?

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

EK is beat up and looks worn out. Plus we need toughness back there. Hughes/Stecher/Tanev need physical help

He's still producing in the playoffs though.  He's playing injured, and still putting up points.  I'll take that any day, compared to all our defenseman.

The St. Louis blues must have 6 bonafide top 6 players cause they are in the second round of the playoffs! Look at their highest 6 scoring forwards this year; all filled with 30 goals scorers and 100points players.. :bigblush:

Ryan O'Reilly- 28g  77pts 
Vladimir Tarasenko- 33g   68pts  
Brayden Schenn - 17g   54pts  
David Perron- 23g    46pts  
Tyler Bozak- 13g    38pts 
Jaden Schwartz- 11g   36pts

or even better look at the Dallas Stars also in the second round

Tyler Seguin - 33g    80pts 
Alexander Radulov - 29g  72pts 
Jamie Benn - 27g    53pts 
Radek Faksa - 15g    30pts 
Jason Spezza - 8g  27pts 
Mattias Janmark-Nylen - 6g   25pts 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mordekai said:

The St. Louis blues must have 6 bonafide top 6 players cause they are in the second round of the playoffs! Look at their highest 6 scoring forwards this year; all filled with 30 goals scorers and 100points players.. :bigblush:

Ryan O'Reilly- 28g  77pts 
Vladimir Tarasenko- 33g   68pts  
Brayden Schenn - 17g   54pts  
David Perron- 23g    46pts  
Tyler Bozak- 13g    38pts 
Jaden Schwartz- 11g   36pts

or even better look at the Dallas Stars also in the second round

Tyler Seguin - 33g    80pts 
Alexander Radulov - 29g  72pts 
Jamie Benn - 27g    53pts 
Radek Faksa - 15g    30pts 
Jason Spezza - 8g  27pts 
Mattias Janmark-Nylen - 6g   25pts 

I'm a big proponent of 'depth wins championships'.

'Generational' players are nice and all but I'll take a good, deep team with a varied and complimentary skill set any day.

• Upvote 2