The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Detroit and Vancouver

Let's say Byram falls to where Detroit picks this year. How many would consider trading Hughes and 10th for Zadina and the pick to bring in Byram? I imagine we would have to add a bit to complete the deal as well, unless Detroit has quickly regretted not taking Hughes.

Byram replaces Hughes for us and Zadina adds a top end winger. We could obviously stay the course and have Hughes and draft a Caufield/Boldy/whoever, but I'm just curious what the opinion is here for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure Detroit does that. They chose Zadina over Hughes in the draft and both just got a cup of coffee in the NHL. 

For me personally, I wouldn't do this because I would rather have Hughes over Byram. I think Quinn is close to, if not already NHL ready.

24 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

Not for Hughes

For Julevi yes

And a 3rd/4th for stingy GMs

Joulevi and 3rd/4th doesn't get the job done.

The OPs proposal seems like a fair one, but I think each team's personal preferences nullify the trade.

2 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Not sure Detroit does that. They chose Zadina over Hughes in the draft and both just got a cup of coffee in the NHL. 

For me personally, I wouldn't do this because I would rather have Hughes over Byram. I think Quinn is close to, if not already NHL ready.

I personally also believe Detroit themselves wouldn't do it because I think Zadina and Byram will be of more value than Quinn and our #10 pick.

Byram would add more size on top of the offense, but Hughes is the more dynamic skater which is important in today's game. Will Hughes' style last into the playoffs though? Byram is also a local boy and aside from that BC has produced many excellent dmen over the years. Quinn may be NHL ready, but Byram isn't far off. Maybe needs another season, but Quinn got an extra year as well of development before making the jump.

Zadina can easily be a 1st line winger as well, which makes me less worried about who we lose at 10.

So with all this said, I just don't see Detroit accepting it (unless we add more) despite the response so far where many seem to highly regard what Hughes would provide.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Byram won't make it past CHI.

I would trade the #10 for Zadina straight up, but that's about it.

Well that's why I mentioned if he was available at Detroit's pick. If Byram is a #3 pick, is it a surprise that many here view Hughes as the better player then?

Zadina hasn't shown any regression for them to move him for the #10 pick (lower spot than Zadina's pick). The reason why I brought up this discussion is the assumption if Hughes has become more highly regarded though to make this deal potentially happen.

2 hours ago, sonoman said:

Much rather stay the course.  Right side is still a little thin so would definitely like Soderstrom at 10.  

Staying the course is the most likely result, but I'm a bit surprised that people don't think Byram and Zadina has more value than Hughes and #10 (being the lowest pick of the group).

2 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Quinn is too good imo. I am not doubting byram, but quinn has proved that he has the potential to be a star in this league.

Quinn may have shown in his 5 games that his potential is shining through, but Byram might just have as much star power, especially considering he's ranked as high as #3 in this upcoming draft. Quinn is excellent, but this wouldn't be a discussion if he wasn't and if Byram wasn't also excellent as well.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

No way I'd do this. We might get a better player than zadina in thus years draft and who knows if byram will even be as good as Hughes is now.

This is a lot of what ifs though. The same could be said the other way. Byram may be better overall than Hughes. If Hughes is marginally better or not then, Zadina may be better than whoever is at #10. Based on the what ifs, I'm not sure how such a certain answer could be made.

At the end of the day, I know this swap would likely not happen (more so because I feel like Detroit wouldn't accept unless we gave more), but it's something that I personally wouldn't mind keeping an eye on to see how it plays out for both teams.

42 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Staying the course is the most likely result, but I'm a bit surprised that people don't think Byram and Zadina has more value than Hughes and #10 (being the lowest pick of the group).

I think you’d have to add for a conversation starter.  Not sure what Detroit would want though.  No guarantees that Byram is still available at 4. 

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

ah yeah

shiny new toys are always more exciting

then the not quite as shiny new toys we have already seen in very limited games in the nhl

grass is always greener on the other side of the fence

well, to some anyway

After all, we've had Hughes for almost a year now.  Old and stale, the lustre's off.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think, at this point anybody would rank Zadina ahead of Hughes.  He did mediocre in the AHL.  Hughes was considered the 2nd best prospect outside the nhl by espn and is ranked ahead of Zadina on all of the lists I have seen.  So, while they took him last year, they would have to know that Hughes has more value at this point.  I think that Byram might go 3rd and if he does, the 4th to 10th is a crap shoot.  All the remaining US players and Cozens, Krebs, and Dach, along with Soderstrom, Newhook could all be the best player in this draft 5 years from now.  I don't think the Canucks should do this.  I would be more than happy with whomever the scouting staff thinks is the bpa.

• Cheers 1