The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's an interesting discussion tbh. I get it we don't vote for a PM but honestly most Canadians believe they're voting for a PM/premier not an mp/mla. Yet the party can remove the leader if they want to. Look at the Ralph situation in Alberta, the party got worse after throwing him under the bus. Chretien and  Martin animosity. 

The US system is set up better actually as it's supposed to be average American picks the candidates and Presidents/governors/Senators. 

I'd agree with that if the POTUS was elected by popular vote. I don't see that much difference between the problems with the electoral college and our system. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's an interesting discussion tbh. I get it we don't vote for a PM but honestly most Canadians believe they're voting for a PM/premier not an mp/mla. Yet the party can remove the leader if they want to. Look at the Ralph situation in Alberta, the party got worse after throwing him under the bus. Chretien and  Martin animosity. 

The US system is set up better actually as it's supposed to be average American picks the candidates and Presidents/governors/Senators. 

I don't know if it's just urban legend or not but I *thought* I read a story where Pierre Trudeau deliberately sat Chretien in Parliament (either to the left or the right of him - whichever was the side facing the ear in which Chretien was hearing impaired) as they were even on less friendly terms.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd agree with that if the POTUS was elected by popular vote. I don't see that much difference between the problems with the electoral college and our system. 

Yes they have pretty much the same issues. My point was the system is set up that the people pick the candidates not the party. 

46 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don't know if it's just urban legend or not but I *thought* I read a story where Pierre Trudeau deliberately sat Chretien in Parliament (either to the left or the right of him - whichever was the side facing the ear in which Chretien was hearing impaired) as they were even on less friendly terms.

Haha I never heard this.

31 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yes they have pretty much the same issues. My point was the system is set up that the people pick the candidates not the party. 

Haha I never heard this.

well, sort of? most people don't particulate in candidate selection in the US or Canada. We all pretty much end up with a POTUS or PM that makes or breaks the party. 

I really have a hard time seeing anything better about the US system. Is it the hyper-polarization thats attractive? :lol:

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, sort of? most people don't particulate in candidate selection in the US or Canada. We all pretty much end up with a POTUS or PM that makes or breaks the party. 

I really have a hard time seeing anything better about the US system. Is it the hyper-polarization thats attractive? :lol:

It's not better, but the way it was set up is a better idea. It's designed more for the people rather than parties picking leaders.

10 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's not better, but the way it was set up is a better idea. It's designed more for the people rather than parties picking leaders.

The American system has far more power within their Senate and Congress. One could argue that system has led to more influence peddling as they control budgets. What many Canadians seem to ignore is that corruption with Parliament is alive and well. Anywhere where hundreds of Billions of $ are allocated leave room for corruption. Another trick used down to the municipal and regional level is the regular padding of expenses.

12 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

only right at the end of the process tho when its a binary choice, when a lot of people say that feel forced to make a choice between two bad candidates.

Almost no one gets involved in candidate selection, thats where the real race is in the US. Thats where Steve Bannon won the election for Trump. If more people refuse to participate at that level we'll keep getting crappy candidates. Its why Bernie fizzed out this time, his millennial army didn't bother to show up in the same numbers. 

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

only right at the end of the process tho when its a binary choice, when a lot of people say that feel forced to make a choice between two bad candidates.

Almost no one gets involved in candidate selection, thats where the real race is in the US. Thats where Steve Bannon won the election for Trump. If more people refuse to participate at that level we'll keep getting crappy candidates. Its why Bernie fizzed out this time, his millennial army didn't bother to show up in the same numbers. 

My point is they get to pick their leaders rather than the party picking the leaders or at least that's how it's designed. Also that person stays in until voted out, the party doesn't have a leadership review and replace the leader with no say of the people. That's the only point I'm making. Also none of it matters because as I said it's how it's designed but not how it's practiced as they use money more than anyone else which usually decides the fate of the candidates. 

• 3 weeks later...

Figured this would fit better here than in the TRUMP thread.

https://www.axios.com/biden-trump-debates-6fb2619c-a9d6-4d86-b1cc-e99137bfad00.html

Biden commits to 3 debates with Trump

Pic stitch of Joe Biden and President Donald Trump with their hands in the air

Photos: Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images

In a letter to the Commission on Presidential Debates Monday, Joe Biden's campaign manager said that Biden will agree to the commission's proposal of three presidential debates and one vice presidential debate with independent moderators, adding, "Donald Trump and Mike Pence should do the same."

The big picture: Trump's campaign has been calling for four debates and for them to be held sooner because of early voting. Trump has also accused the bipartisan nonprofit organization of being "very biased."

• The Biden campaign has laid out a specific position on how they plan to follow through with the debates.
  • Biden says he will participate in the commission's debates on Sept. 29, Oct. 15 and Oct. 22. Biden's running mate will participate in the vice presidential candidates’ debate set for Oct. 7.

What they're saying:

"Now that Donald Trump is trailing so badly in the polls, and is desperate to change the subject from his failed leadership of the country, we are seeing reports that he has his own proposal for debates — after having said, just six months ago, that he might not want to participate at all in planned dates.
No one should be fooled: the Trump campaign’s new position is a debate distraction. The Trump position seems to be saying that he will debate if he can pick the moderators: clearly the President, who largely conducts interviews only with favorable news outlets, is afraid of facing questions from a neutral moderator. The Trump campaign proposal for elaborate negotiations is merely an effort to dodge fair, even-handed debates."
— Biden campaign manager Jen O'Malley Dillon

Between the lines: In a general election season that's shaping up to have far fewer traditional rallies and less traditional candidate engagement than normal, the debates may take on heightened importance and will give Americans a chance to see the incumbent and the former vice president in sharp contrast to one another.

• There also may be less of a surprise factor for Biden than for Hillary Clinton; Trump in 2016 showed his penchant for using the theater of the debate stage and pre-debate events in unconventional and sometimes controversial ways.

Read the letter.

• Upvote 1

Trump wants to pick the moderators.......lets see....Hannity (natch).....Limbaugh.....

.....Kanye?

I can see it now...."Hey Joe, Ima let you finish that answer, but first, Donald Trump is the Shiz!"

Trump looks around nervously, wondering if that's a good thing.....

• Haha 1

Bets for Joe's pick, any of the ladies in this article  ?  Gotta be the composed Harris.... or the surprise Warren... or maybe M. Obama will save us all. month and a bit to go

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53088353 

During the final Democratic primary debate in March, Joe Biden pledged that if he were to win the party's presidential nomination, he would choose a woman as his running mate. 

Biden has said he will announce his choice in early August.

Didn't Biden say that whoever is his running mate must be ready to be president on day one?

I know what he means, but that sounds funny. 

I picture him beating Trump and then saying  "Ok, mission complete. Hey Harris enjoy the Oval office, I'm gonna take some time off I'm exhausted"

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Bets for Joe's pick, any of the ladies in this article  ?  Gotta be the composed Harris.... or the surprise Warren... or maybe M. Obama will save us all. month and a bit to go

During the final Democratic primary debate in March, Joe Biden pledged that if he were to win the party's presidential nomination, he would choose a woman as his running mate. 

My money has been on Harris all along.

Second guess would be Rice.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Didn't Biden say that whoever is his running mate must be ready to be president on day one?

I picture him beating Trump and then saying  "Ok, mission complete. Hey Harris enjoy the Oval office, I'm gonna take some time off I'm exhausted"

I see it more as a case of planning to serve one term only.

• Cheers 1

On 6/22/2020 at 7:18 PM, bishopshodan said:

He treating the office with respect.  Anyone can die in office, so VP needs to be ready. He was a VP for 8 yrs and know what it was like. McCain lot support when he picked Palin, who was incompetent.  You can argue Pence is more competent than trump. 

Biden will be oldest president when he is inaugurated. Having a legit VP is important.  JFK had a decent one. Nixon didn't, his VP resigned first before he did. 

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

He treating the office with respect.  Anyone can die in office, so VP needs to be ready. He was a VP for 8 yrs and know what it was like. McCain lot support when he picked Palin, who was incompetent.  You can argue Pence is more competent than trump. 

Biden will be oldest president when he is inaugurated. Having a legit VP is important.  JFK had a decent one. Nixon didn't, his VP resigned first before he did. 

Yep, that's why I said "I know what he means, but that sounds funny'

With all his detractors calling him unhealthy, sleepy joe etc... For him to make the 'i need a vp ready to be prez day one' statement made me chuckle 

I could see this quote being part of a debate question, as they obviously differ on this point. I like how the reporter asks him if he would keep the mask on to take his oath of office :lol:

I mean we're not required to wear masks in public up here... yet 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-biden-masks-public-executive-powers-covid-19-coronavirus/  

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/pelosi-says-she-s-in-a-mood-and-trump-s-coronavirus-response-is-to-blame/ar-BB160MOD?ocid=msedgntp 

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, said Thursday that if he were president, he would require people across the country to wear masks in public.

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2020 at 6:06 PM, Chicken. said:

Warren for treasury secretary, Harris for attorney general and Rice for VP.

• Cheers 1