The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think Trump is a lot smarter than George and Obama. They are more likeable people. Bottom line is that Trump has put more money in people ‘s pockets. He has also brought troops home and not started any wars. Trump is forcing allies to actually spend more money on their defence. Bringing jobs home.

You're not considered rich if you take a cash advance on your credit card and wave the money around. Trillion dollar deficits as far as the eye can see.

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

You're not considered rich if you take a cash advance on your credit card and wave the money around. Trillion dollar deficits as far as the eye can see.

True enough but then all 3 of these guys did that. I am not defending the spending of one over the other. All politicians are spending beyond means to repay. People’s expectations of what is affordable exceeds all reality. There is no politician who thinks he can get elected otherwise. What really disappoints me is that non politicians are not speaking up enough to expose and explain the inevitable fallout. 

14 hours ago, Toews said:

Can't argue there, its hard to really come up with a more colossal failure than the "war on terror". I suppose I speak more from a perspective of who I find more repulsive. I also believe that Cheney was the real driving force behind those wars, obviously doesn't give anyone else in the room a pass. Its sort of like the video of the Bruins front office pulling the trigger on the Seguin trade. 

Without the doubt, GWB didn’t seem like a bad person, I feel others have taken advantage of him.

The other jagoff on the other hand.....

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think Trump is a lot smarter than George and Obama. They are more likeable people. Bottom line is that Trump has put more money in people ‘s pockets. He has also brought troops home and not started any wars. Trump is forcing allies to actually spend more money on their defence. Bringing jobs home.

Not even close......also GWB at least had personality and what was somewhat able to relate.

14 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Without the doubt, GWB didn’t seem like a bad person, I feel others have taken advantage of him.

The other jagoff on the other hand.....

it seems like people's perceptions of politicians mellow somewhat after they leave office. Dubya was considered a bonehead by many when he left office, but a lot of those same critics saw a different side of the man when he developed a friendship with Michelle Obama...

In Canada, many people think of Trudeau Sr. as one of the great PMs, but I recall his time in office and he was loathed in Western Canada, even before the one finger salute in Salmon Arm.

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

True enough but then all 3 of these guys did that. I am not defending the spending of one over the other. All politicians are spending beyond means to repay. People’s expectations of what is affordable exceeds all reality. There is no politician who thinks he can get elected otherwise. What really disappoints me is that non politicians are not speaking up enough to expose and explain the inevitable fallout. 

Not to the same extent. Bush flooded into debt to start wars. Obama flooded into debt to fight off the deepest recession in 80 years. Trump flooded into debt to supercharge the economy after a n 8 year expansion and never broke 3% GDP. All he did was pump the stock market which was always fleeting at best. What's he got to show for it now?

Only one of the 3 got any value for his debt dollar.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not to the same extent. Bush flooded into debt to start wars. Obama flooded into debt to fight off the deepest recession in 80 years. Trump flooded into debt to supercharge the economy after a n 8 year expansion and never broke 3% GDP. All he did was pump the stock market which was always fleeting at best. What's he got to show for it now?

Only one of the 3 got any value for his debt dollar.

Add to the fact that Obama initially had large deficits,  but gradually cut them so that at the end of his term, they were around $500 billion or less.  The government finances were headed in the right direction,  then TRUMP came along and started selling voodoo. 

• Cheers 1

I watched the whole debate. Bernie grilled Biden a bit on past history, but didn't land the knockout punch. Biden did enough, to probably end the race by Tuesday. The question is can Biden get Bernie's base to vote for him in the general. What I find interesting in all of this is that if Bernie is the nominee, he'll get his base plus the "vote blue no matter what" crowd. If Biden is the nominee, he'll get the vote blue guys, but can get Bernie's base

5 minutes ago, almo89 said:

I watched the whole debate. Bernie grilled Biden a bit on past history, but didn't land the knockout punch. Biden did enough, to probably end the race by Tuesday. The question is can Biden get Bernie's base to vote for him in the general. What I find interesting in all of this is that if Bernie is the nominee, he'll get his base plus the "vote blue no matter what" crowd. If Biden is the nominee, he'll get the vote blue guys, but can get Bernie's base

Much is made of Bernie's base which is under the 30 age group but has it been pointed out many times by political pundits that it is a very narrow base.   The under 30 group maybe represent 20% of the electorate and the turnout level is very low to compared to people over 60.   So in reality it is the 60+ age range that really counts as they vote in much higher percentages than younger people.

Biden don't needs Bernie's base, he needs the moderate Republican voters that has turned against Trump.   Biden will get these voters as Biden is the moderate alternative to the left wing Sanders.

6 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

For Vice-President..

Joe: "I'll nominate a woman"

Bernie: "I'll nominate a progressive woman"

Joe: "I'll nominate a woman of color"

Biden: "I'll nominate a transgender woman of color"

Whoever it is, this is a requirement; 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election/joe-biden-age-vice-president-old-guy-2020-trump-vp-a9310181.html%3famp

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This is disgusting. Biden is a sensationalistic senile pawn for the establishment. CNN is his and DNCs lapdog. The United States is, without a doubt, the most corrupt western nation in the world. 

He was less gaff-prone than most of his campaign stop moments.

He makes some sense when he knows his limit and stays within it policy wise and just defers to the previous administration.

Much better to watch with only 2 people though right to the point, both guys are quite different. assuming Joe will take it just from hearing comments. I kind of get what pundits mean now with Bernie being inflexible and can’t get the moderate vote, so Dems flock to Joe.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DonLever said:

Much is made of Bernie's base which is under the 30 age group but has it been pointed out many times by political pundits that it is a very narrow base.   The under 30 group maybe represent 20% of the electorate and the turnout level is very low to compared to people over 60.   So in reality it is the 60+ age range that really counts as they vote in much higher percentages than younger people.

Biden don't needs Bernie's base, he needs the moderate Republican voters that has turned against Trump.   Biden will get these voters as Biden is the moderate alternative to the left wing Sanders.

You are probably right. I might be over estimating his base and maybe the US just isn't ready for progressive politics yet. 

On 3/15/2020 at 9:18 PM, DonLever said:

Well the coronavirus will have something to say about the 60+ group by November or even today.

:ph34r:

#DropOutBernie

Seriously, it’s time.

Sanders doesn’t have a path the the nomination anymore. The math just doesn’t work. His support is actually lower than than it was 2016. He hasn’t managed to turn out the young voters he needs. Biden continues to beat him decisively in the battleground states the Dems actually need to turn blue and win an election versus Trump. And the only places Bernie seems to be winning in a head-to-head race with Biden are the Democratic strongholds (like California), which are perma-blue no matter who’s the nominee.

At this point, staying in just means forcing people to show up to more primaries during this COVID-19 crisis, which will literally end up costing lives. Lives lost for a cause that has no real chance of succeeding now.

At this point, it’s just a really bad look for Bernie and his supporters to keep pushing this lost cause.

And I like Bernie. I rated him above Biden, when this process started. Neither of them were at the top of my list, but Bernie was definitely higher than Joe. But this nomination is Biden’s. It’s inevitable. 

They need to wrap this **** up now. Start working on unifying the party. The Bernie Bros are gonna be sour for a while and the Dems will need as much time as they can get to try to heal the divide.

Extending this race just creates more division and bad blood. And more people needlessly heading out to polls during the height of this pandemic. 

Just give the nomination to Biden now and shut down the primary.

Anything else is pure stupidity.

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

#DropOutBernie

Seriously, it’s time.

Sanders doesn’t have a path the the nomination anymore. The math just doesn’t work. His support is actually lower than than it was 2016. He hasn’t managed to turn out the young voters he needs. Biden continues to beat him decisively in the battleground states the Dems actually need to turn blue and win an election versus Trump. And the only places Bernie seems to be winning in a head-to-head race with Biden are the Democratic strongholds (like California), which are perma-blue no matter who’s the nominee.

At this point, staying in just means forcing people to show up to more primaries during this COVID-19 crisis, which will literally end up costing lives. Lives lost for a cause that has no real chance of succeeding now.

At this point, it’s just a really bad look for Bernie and his supporters to keep pushing this lost cause.

And I like Bernie. I rated him above Biden, when this process started. Neither of them were at the top of my list, but Bernie was definitely higher than Joe. But this nomination is Biden’s. It’s inevitable. 

They need to wrap this **** up now. Start working on unifying the party. The Bernie Bros are gonna be sour for a while and the Dems will need as much time as they can get to try to heal the divide.

Extending this race just creates more division and bad blood. And more people needlessly heading out to polls during the height of this pandemic. 

Just give the nomination to Biden now and shut down the primary.

Anything else is pure stupidity.

Agree 100%. At this point, the Democrats should be focused on going after Trump, rather than each other. Hopefully the disappointed Bernie Bros will realize (this time) that staying home, or voting for a third party candidate is basically the same as voting for Trump.

Biden might not be our favorite, but the most important thing is to kick the orange scumbag to the curb.

• Cheers 2

Bernie Sanders to suspend presidential campaign

Wed 18 Mar 2020 15:50:03 GMT

Axios reporting

Axios is reporting that Sen. Bernie Sanders has suspended his presidential campaign.  Yesterday Biden won all 3 states, and has a formidable lead.  That leaves Biden as the Democratic candidate for President. 
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1