The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yes, when looking at senators it's equal unlike Canada, also our senators are appointed not elected. 

The issue is our senate has no authority whatsoever and Obama and Trump just do everything through executive order.

I am with with regards to the Senate here in Canada.   It won't really change until the Constitution changes.  Fat chance of that can of worms being opened up any time soon.

Everything by executive order?  I thought you were the resident political genius here, based on how many time you've questioned the intelligence of posters.  Including me.  They don't do everything by executive order.  And if we're being totally honest here, let's compare the executive orders by POTUS since Reagan.

Reagan: 381 over 2 terms.

H. W. Bush: 166 over 1 term.

Clinton: 364 over 2 terms.

W. Bush: 291 over 2 terms.

Obama: 276 over 2 terms.

TRUMP: 151 as of early 2020, less than 1 term.

So, this isn't something new.  Obama did less than his 2 term contemporaries.  If Trump continues at his pace and gets another term, he should easily surpass Obama.  Yes, there is a lot wrong with this, but again they don't pass everything by executive order.  Obamacare.  TRUMP's tax cuts.  Not executive orders. 

29 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I am with with regards to the Senate here in Canada.   It won't really change until the Constitution changes.  Fat chance of that can of worms being opened up any time soon.

Everything by executive order?  I thought you were the resident political genius here, based on how many time you've questioned the intelligence of posters.  Including me.  They don't do everything by executive order.  And if we're being totally honest here, let's compare the executive orders by POTUS since Reagan.

So, this isn't something new.  Obama did less than his 2 term contemporaries.  If Trump continues at his pace and gets another term, he should easily surpass Obama.  Yes, there is a lot wrong with this, but again they don't pass everything by executive order.  Obamacare.  TRUMP's tax cuts.  Not executive orders. 

Why did you pick Reagan? Let's check numbers before him. 

It's just like how presidents like Obama decide to bomb people/countries it isn't right. 

Btw those are a lot of executive orders..I'm surprised you're attempting to defend that.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's just like how presidents like Obama decide to bomb people/countries it isn't right. 

Btw those are a lot of executive orders..I'm surprised you're attempting to defend that.

This link has a list of presidents and the number of executive orders:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_federal_executive_orders

Glancing back to the 50s, it appears there were a bit more executive orders than after Reagan (1900 to 1950 the #'s were massive compared to now).  I find the numbers interesting as it seems one side always blames the other for passing everything by executive order when really, whether Democrat or Republican, the numbers don't fluctuate too widely.  Granted the numbers don't tell you the significance behind the executive orders and that could be a different story.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I quoted my post for context.   You obviously Have poor reading comprehension.   The bolded part of my post obviously shows that I'm not defending the use of executive orders.  I guess your shtick of belittling the intelligence of posters like myself has come back to bite ya.  

As Wilbur pointed out, there are some totals from the early 20th century that make the totals of more contemporary presidents look like chump change.  Like FDR's 3728.  Comparing apples to oranges.  I started with Reagan because he seems to be regarded as a deity to modern conservatives in the US.  A decent starting point when talking about contemporary presidents.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Pure curiosity, does anybody actually think Biden stands a chance against Trump ?

Yup. 

Trump barely beat H. Clinton. Biden is more well liked than Clinton and should do better in the rust belt. He's got a good shot as long as the Republicans don't engage in mass voter suppression, which they will try to do with everything they've got. 

Trump's no longer the businessman coming to save the day from big bad government. He's the mass grifting politician with a legacy of lies, golfing, tweeting, and a fumbled coronavirus response.

Edited by Duodenum
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Pure curiosity, does anybody actually think Biden stands a chance against Trump ?

Not only do I think he has a chance, I think he's the favorite

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Every American I’ve spoke with puts Biden’s chances of beating Trump at roughly 0%

I'd be interested to know what they base that opinion on...because it doesn't appear to be statistics:

On 5/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Just saw a new poll by Monmouth.

Trump leads Biden by 2 points among all men.

Biden leads Trump by 20 points among all women.

Women make up about 50% of the electorate. African Americans make up a large portion as well. This is another demographic where Biden kicks Trump's ass....

For some reason that I've never been able to figure out, a lot of people believe that the predominantly white, predominantly male and predominantly old people with the red hats make up the majority.....

This is absolutely false and that fact has been spelled out time after time on these boards.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 3

Lol.  Hillary was LOATHED by many and almost beat Donnie.  His victory was by the slimmest of margins.  So of course Sleepy Joe stands a chance in spite of voter suppression.  Depends a lot on how many the Corona virus takes out and how rampant it remains comes election time.  A bad 2nd wave resulting in another shutdown would cripple Donnie’s chances.

• Cheers 1

Further to my point above, it's worth noting that the 2018 election swung in favor of the Democrats largely thanks to one issue: Health Care.

Today, thanks to Covid19, reports estimate that up to 43 million Americans could lose their health coverage, because that coverage is tied to their jobs. If they get laid off, they lose their coverage.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/up-to-43m-americans-could-lose-health-insurance-amid-pandemic-report-says/ar-BB13RPL5?li=AAggNb9

One of the two major parties, wants to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, while the other wants to expand it. I'm pretty sure we all know which is which...

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

a lot of people believe that the predominantly white, predominantly male and predominantly old people with the red hats make of the majority.....

Covid-19 is killing off a lot more of Drumpf's  supporters than the younger voters.

Seems to favour Biden.

As also mentioned, multiple times, Drumpf lost the popular vote last time, I don't think his chances have improved for the up coming vote.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Lol.  Hillary was LOATHED by many and almost beat Donnie.  His victory was by the slimmest of margins.  So of course Sleepy Joe stands a chance in spite of voter suppression.  Depends a lot on how many the Corona virus takes out and how rampant it remains comes election time.  A bad 2nd wave resulting in another shutdown would cripple Donnie’s chances.

I read today that in response to Republican ad campaigns blaming China for American mistakes, the Chinese are fighting back with a Facebook campaign.

Now Bone Spurs gets to see what it's like having a foreign power undermine your campaign.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, gurn said:

Covid-19 is killing off a lot more of Drumpf's  supporters than the younger voters.

Seems to favour Biden.

As also mentioned, multiple times, Drumpf lost the popular vote last time, I don't think his chances have improved for the up coming vote.

This is why he and his cronies are raising such a stink about mail-in voting....

...he knows that making it as difficult as possible for poor and minority voters is his best chance.

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is why he and his cronies are raising such a stink about mail-in voting....

...he knows that making it as difficult as possible for poor and minority voters is his best chance.

CT votes by mail, yesterday I was watching interview on TV, Republican and the Democrat.

Themis Klarides GOP opposes vote by mail says they will have issues and fraud.

TV Anchor goes “can you give me some examples” “ no I can’t think of any of top of my head”

• Haha 2

Just now, CBH1926 said:

CT votes by mail, yesterday I was watching interview on TV, Republican and the Democrat.

Themis Klarides GOP opposes vote by mail says they will have issues and fraud.

TV Anchor goes “can you give me some examples” “ no I can’t think of any of top of my head”

Of course he can't. "Voter fraud" is just one of the many lies from the GOP/Trump playbook.

The fact that there have been multiple studies debunking the claim means nothing. Republicans know they have to keep poor minorities away from the polls, so they'll stop at nothing.

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Of course he can't. "Voter fraud" is just one of the many lies from the GOP/Trump playbook.

The fact that there have been multiple studies debunking the claim means nothing. Republicans know they have to keep poor minorities away from the polls, so they'll stop at nothing.

Easier to hack a couple voting machines vs. altering millions of paper-trail votes anyways. If they cared about voter fraud, they'd be all in for mailed voting. 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Upvote 2