The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article. First I heard of this task-force I must be out of the loop. Will be interesting to see the platform

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/biden-bernie-sanders-unity-task-forces-release-dnc-platform-recommendations/ar-BB16v3Iw?ocid=msedgntp

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/biden-unity-groups-offer-policy-choices-for-democrats#:~:text=A group of task forces assembled by Democratic,to achieve net-zero emissions no later than 2050. 

Biden-Bernie Sanders Unity Task Forces release DNC platform recommendations

The goal of the task forces, which were formed in May, was to make a unified set of recommendations to the Democratic National Convention's Platform Committee, and Biden himself, on policy proposals.

The groups were divided into six issue areas: climate change, criminal justice reform, the economy, education, health care and immigration. Each issue had teams of eight people, with four picked by Biden and four picked by Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. The members were a mix of Biden and Sanders loyalists, experts, community leaders and politicians -- ranging from N.Y. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to former secretary of state John Kerry.

image.png.974dbd8eee78dda24f1781d41780600f.png

8 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

AOC has about as many credentials as JT. Both are in way over their heads. The kid out did his old man by $300 billion. Hey, what is a buck here and there?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

AOC has about as many credentials as JT. Both are in way over their heads. The kid out did his old man by $300 billion. Hey, what is a buck here and there?

Haven't you heard?   the budget will balance itself ! 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Under Pierre, they stopped putting ANY silver in our circulated coins.  Maybe Junior will change it from nickel to paper.:P

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Haven't you heard?   the budget will balance itself ! 

either of you notice a global pandemic, a southern neighbour messing with our trade, plus Saudi Arabia and China also messing with our trade; or perhaps it was just me?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

either of you notice a global pandemic, a southern neighbour messing with our trade, plus Saudi Arabia and China also messing with our trade; or perhaps it was just me?

Yeah. The size of the deficit sucks, but these are unprecedented times. Taking political potshots is the proverbial low hanging fruit....

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, gurn said:

Of course I noticed.. the budget was also in no way going to balance itself before the pandemic I was just poking fun at a memorable quote of his. our country is getting taken to the cleaners from many directions yes.. 

4 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Of course I noticed.. the budget was also in no way going to balance itself before the pandemic I was just poking fun at a memorable quote of his. our country is getting taken to the cleaners from many directions yes.. 

"The full quote is : "the commitment needs to be a commitment to grow the economy and the budget will balance itself.” The point is that you can balance the budget by cutting services and government expenditures, or you can balance it by focusing on growing the economy, which increases revenues."

https://www.quora.com/Did-Justin-Trudeau-really-say-the-budget-will-balance-itself-or-was-it-Conservatives-propaganda#:~:text=The full quote is %3A "the commitment needs,focusing on growing the economy%2C which increases revenues.

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, gurn said:

"The full quote is : "the commitment needs to be a commitment to grow the economy and the budget will balance itself.” The point is that you can balance the budget by cutting services and government expenditures, or you can balance it by focusing on growing the economy, which increases revenues."

https://www.quora.com/Did-Justin-Trudeau-really-say-the-budget-will-balance-itself-or-was-it-Conservatives-propaganda#:~:text=The full quote is %3A "the commitment needs,focusing on growing the economy%2C which increases revenues.

Nothing like full quotes and context to debunk a ridiculous attack ad soundbite. Fuuny enough it's what many JT haters remember and regurgitate when they think no one is paying attention. Nice hair though. 

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, gurn said:

:lol: I'm well aware it was just a snippet and it appears I was bang on just rewatched the interview

tough crowd here to make a joke against our PM sheesh I would hope we need some laughter to get through what it will take to shed this massive debt and accomplish our goals as a nation. wrong thread anyway with the new debt thread.

• Haha 2

Excuse me....I just wanted to know if it was still okay to post Joe Biden stuff in the Joe Biden thread or has it completely morphed into a bash Trudeau thread? Thanks.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Excuse me....I just wanted to know if it was still okay to post Joe Biden stuff in the Joe Biden thread or has it completely morphed into a bash Trudeau thread? Thanks.

I tried but nobody wants to discuss the democratic unity task forces. A united left is bad news for Trump. Sanders seems to be all in for Joe

Sanders said that while he, Biden and their supporters “have strong disagreements” about some policy issues, “we also understand that we must come together in order to defeat Donald Trump, the most dangerous president in modern American history.”

“Though the end result is not what I or my supporters would have written alone, the task forces have created a good policy blueprint that will move this country in a much-needed progressive direction and substantially improve the lives of working families throughout our country. I look forward to working with Vice President Biden to help him win this campaign and to move this country forward toward economic, racial, social and environmental justice,” he said.

The Trump campaign, having found little success so far in defining Biden as out of the mainstream, is likely to pounce on the policy moves as evidence that the veteran, familiar Democrat is something of a Trojan horse for the extreme left.

Policies Republicans characterize as radical reform — including the Green New Deal, Medicare for All, defunding the police and abolishing the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) — are notably not mentioned as recommendations.

Good ad from his team

10 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I tried but nobody wants to discuss the democratic unity task forces. A united left is bad news for Trump. Sanders seems to be all in for Joe

Good observation. I'm certain the Democratic Party realizes they need to make the voters choose between a unified, coherent and comprehensive platform and the chaos that is Trump world. Forget Trump's base which will jump, beg and fetch when so directed, but the undecideds are going to want to hear concrete plans, not three word slogans that mean nothing. (Drain the swamp, Build the Wall, Lock her up.) Trump has no plan, no vision and is completely out of ideas. Worse, he listens to nobody but his own distorted self. Meanwhile, Joe Biden is organizing and building alliances and formulating plans and vetting VP candidates while Donald is obsessed with statues, flags and confederate generals even as he ignores the realities of COVID-19. 

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Good ad from his team

Haha, that is a great ad. "please, please, this is too much winning".

The Tara Reade allegations seems to be fizzling...any other stories surfacing that could hurt Joe? I barely hear about him lately, this support from the Bern seems like a positive for him though. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Nah. That kind of stuff gets in the way of a good whataboutism. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Good observation. I'm certain the Democratic Party realizes they need to make the voters choose between a unified, coherent and comprehensive platform and the chaos that is Trump world. Forget Trump's base which will jump, beg and fetch when so directed, but the undecideds are going to want to hear concrete plans, not three word slogans that mean nothing. (Drain the swamp, Build the Wall, Lock her up.) Trump has no plan, no vision and is completely out of ideas. Worse, he listens to nobody but his own distorted self. Meanwhile, Joe Biden is organizing and building alliances and formulating plans and vetting VP candidates while Donald is obsessed with statues, flags and confederate generals even as he ignores the realities of COVID-19. 

Grant, Garfield, McKinley, Harrison, Hayes were all civil war veterans, generals except McKinley who was a major.

They were all Republicans and 150 years later, still better presidents than Trump.

51 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Grant, Garfield, McKinley, Harrison, Hayes were all civil war veterans, generals except McKinley who was a major.

They were all Republicans and 150 years later, still better presidents than Trump.

All generals for the Union army.

James Longstreet (I've pumped his tires before :lol:) was essentially Robert Lee's right or left hand (with Stonewall Jackson being the other hand).  Despite being a general for the Confederate side, became a Republican in order to help the South with reconstruction.  He was rewarded by his fellow "Southerners" by being deemed a traitor (as well as blaming him for the loss at Gettysburg not the defied Lee).  As I've said before, if there's any Confederate General that deserves a statute (even today).....it's Longstreet.  Lee did little to help with "Reconstruction" (to my knowledge) after the civil war ended.  Neither did any of those other Confederate generals Urine man likes to hug to my knowledge.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2