The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

7 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Funny I never heard these cries when democrats win.

So I guess you aren't cheering for the dems? Both Canada and the Us have very low unemployment rates so not exactly what u said it would be back in 2017.

:lol:

line up the number of attempts at voter suppression by each side and get back to us 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't recall saying anything about the US unemployment rate in 2017. I do recall you refusing to give Trudeau any credit for the low unemployment rate in Canada....

However, that aside, I don't subscribe to the doctrine that as long as the economy is in good shape, you overlook everything else that POTUS has done. What I said back in 2015, is that a Trump presidency would be an unmitigated disaster. I also said that his stupid Wall would never be built. I was right on both counts.

Not sure what you're getting at with you opening sentence. I'm pulling for whomever can defeat Trump. I'm pretty sure no Republican will take the nomination from him, so...:unsure:

And Trump never gets credit for the us economy. Are we even? In fact both are borrowing big time to create jobs.

As for the economy...in both countries if the economy is strong the incumbent usually wins a second term, actually in both countries the leader generally wins a 2nd term. Unmitigated disaster? Sure maybe from an embarrassing pov but most Americans are working and making more money now so for them it's not a disaster. On the world stage he has said many disastrous things but how many Americans even know what the g7 is?

My point was I don't think the dems have a chance. I thought Sanders would be the next potus but he doesn't seem to have the steam he had in 2016. @SabreFan1 kind of gave me a good explanation on this.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

line up the number of attempts at voter suppression by each side and get back to us 

I don't know enough about voter suppression but I do know liberals make so many excuses for losing but they're losing all over the western world. Hell look at our premiers, even Clarke won in bc so in reality how many liberals govern provinces? 1 or 2?

Does Canada have voter suppression? Why doesn't the us do like here and send out voter cards that u verify who u are?

Edited by Ryan Strome

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't know enough about voter suppression but I do know liberals make so many excuses for losing but they're losing all over the western world. Hell look at our premiers, even Clarke won in bc so in reality how many liberals govern provinces? 1 or 2?

Does Canada have voter suppression? Why doesn't the us do like here and send out voter cards that u verify who u are?

no we're pretty civil that way. Just Poutine Poilievre with his robocall company.

everything comes in waves. Yeah we have a rise of righty thinking (or is it reaction? don't see a lot of thinking in the movement tbh) but one thing we've learned is polls mean squat and you can't predict election days anymore. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no we're pretty civil that way. Just Poutine Poilievre with his robocall company.

everything comes in waves. Yeah we have a rise of righty thinking (or is it reaction? don't see a lot of thinking in the movement tbh) but one thing we've learned is polls mean squat and you can't predict election days anymore. 

I agree but would a Canadian system work in the US? If voter suppression is an issue why didn't a black democrat potus fix it? Or why doesn't a Democratic controlled senate in the past or democrat controlled Congress fix the problem?

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I agree but would a Canadian system work in the US? If voter suppression is an issue why didn't a black democrat potus fix it? Or why doesn't a Democratic controlled senate in the past or democrat controlled Congress fix the problem?

out of his hands. Its done at the governor level. 

I don't see how a Canadian system would work there, its all state level. I could see some states doing things well but not the ones that sway hard left or right. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

out of his hands. Its done at the governor level. 

I don't see how a Canadian system would work there, its all state level. I could see some states doing things well but not the ones that sway hard left or right. 

Oh ok so the states decide on federal elections? That seems odd.

44 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Interesting. Who decides the ridings in Canada? It's done at the federal level isn't it?

the US is more complex that i realized -  good luck with this dogs breakfast; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_redistricting

We do an independent commission approach - interesting article here on it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-ridings-redistribution-1.3227653

Edited by Jimmy McGill

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the US is more complex that i realized -  good luck with this dogs breakfast; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_redistricting

We do an independent commission approach - interesting article here on it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-ridings-redistribution-1.3227653

Can't click on the link Jim. Want to read those.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

And Trump never gets credit for the us economy. Are we even? In fact both are borrowing big time to create jobs.

As for the economy...in both countries if the economy is strong the incumbent usually wins a second term, actually in both countries the leader generally wins a 2nd term. Unmitigated disaster? Sure maybe from an embarrassing pov but most Americans are working and making more money now so for them it's not a disaster. On the world stage he has said many disastrous things but how many Americans even know what the g7 is?

My point was I don't think the dems have a chance. I thought Sanders would be the next potus but he doesn't seem to have the steam he had in 2016. @SabreFan1 kind of gave me a good explanation on this.

From whom? What I've always said is that the economy isn't enough.

Pulling out of the Paris Accord....pulling out of the Iran Nuclear deal....declaring Canada a National Security risk...separating families with no plan on how to reunite them, all based on a racist fallacy....appointing Climate Change deniers to the EPA...putting an unqualified rich donor in charge of Education....Nepotism at the highest levels....using his office to enrich himself...

I'm not "embarrassed" by suggesting any of these things are disastrous, but perhaps you should be for suggesting a strong economy (which was already trending upwards before 2016, BTW) makes up for them.

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

From whom? What I've always said is that the economy isn't enough.

Pulling out of the Paris Accord....pulling out of the Iran Nuclear deal....declaring Canada a National Security risk...separating families with no plan on how to reunite them, all based on a racist fallacy....appointing Climate Change deniers to the EPA...putting an unqualified rich donor in charge of Education....Nepotism at the highest levels....using his office to enrich himself...

I'm not "embarrassed" by suggesting any of these things are disastrous, but perhaps you should be for suggesting a strong economy (which was already trending upwards before 2016, BTW) makes up for them.

similar to Canada

15 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Voter suppression is a thing.  Gerrymandering is a thing.  The recent file dump of a deceased GOP operative proves that the GOP actively is trying to suppress the vote.  Still waiting on the proof of the millions of illegals that voted for Shillary.

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Voter suppression is a thing.  Gerrymandering is a thing.  The recent file dump of a deceased GOP operative proves that the GOP actively is trying to suppress the vote.  Still waiting on the proof of the millions of illegals that voted for Shillary.

Voter suppression is happening everywhere, and it’s not only done by the GOP.

Recently they illegally purged 200k voters in NYC.

36 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Voter suppression is happening everywhere, and it’s not only done by the GOP.

Recently they illegally purged 200k voters in NYC.

I see your New York 200,000 and raise you Georgia's 340,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/19/georgia-governor-race-voter-suppression-brian-kemp

And for fun, I'll add Texas' failed/stalled attempt to purge 95,000.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/04/26/texas-voter-purge-state-settles-lawsuit-over-attempt-trim-voter-lists/3593055002/

As for your New York 200,000, a good chunk of those were Dem voters in Brooklyn (just over 63,000 of that 200.000).  So your retort is not quite as strong as you think.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/13/17855254/new-york-city-voters-rolls-purges-missing-names-2018-midterms

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I see your New York 200,000 and raise you Georgia's 340,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/19/georgia-governor-race-voter-suppression-brian-kemp

And for fun, I'll add Texas' failed/stalled attempt to purge 95,000.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/04/26/texas-voter-purge-state-settles-lawsuit-over-attempt-trim-voter-lists/3593055002/

As for your New York 200,000, a good chink of those were Dem voters in Brooklyn (just over 63,000 of that 200.000).  So your retort is not quite as strong as you think.

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/13/17855254/new-york-city-voters-rolls-purges-missing-names-2018-midterms

Remember that whole hanging chad stupidity in Florida between Bush and Gore?  The idea is to help people with their right to make their choice.  Is it democracy when efforts are made to throw out peoples’ votes, or make it hard for them to vote?  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Remember that whole hanging chad stupidity in Florida between Bush and Gore?  The idea is to help people with their right to make their choice.  Is it democracy when efforts are made to throw out peoples’ votes, or make it hard for them to vote?  

It should be, but that would make it harder for a certain grand ole party to win as much as they do.