The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Edm/Van

JP & NG are pretty much a wash.. 

Lucic is a very expensive plug..  Schaller doesn't produce much & Sutter isn't worth his money.. If you're in a generous mood, I guess you could say that they wash with ML..?

That means you're trading Markstrom for a 2nd rd pick..  really hoping EB turns into something big, huh? 

Edited by Glug Datt

I would do Lucic at $4,000,000 per year (they retain 2M per year) for Eriksson...…………….that is 16M for ML and 18M for Loui

It is fair as Eriksson is better that Lucic and they throw in their 2019 2nd

But only if Lucic agrees to take out his NMC, so that we have the right to trade him......

Lucic then becomes very tradeable, as the majority of his contract would be already paid.....

2019-20 NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,000,000 $3,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
2020-21 NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $4,000,000 $4,000,000
2021-22 Modified NTC, NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $2,500,000 $2,500,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000
2022-23 Modified NTC, NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $4,000,000 $4,000,000

So, as you can see on the far right...…….he will actually be owed...…….

...…6M, 4M, 5M, 4M, but Edmonton would pay 2M, 2M, 2M, 2M, so he would actually be owed by the Canucks 4M, 2M, 3M, 2M, if we kept him, which is only 11M

Which is substantially lower than Eriksson's 18M owed

...……(but Lucic would still have a cap hit of 16M)

Again, you might ask why Edmonton would do this and add a 2nd, but he is totally useless, where Eriksson is not...…...especially compared to Lucic

IMHO

18 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I do not think it is crazy Jr

I  like posts that start conversation...this one is no different

Not the greatest, and I think you give up too much

But I do agree you are saving the right goalie, long term

I also agree with the other poster who thinks they do not need Markstrom either

But I do think there is a trade there somewhere, where we trade with Edmonton

Personally, Lucic is such an Albatross for them.....it kills their rebuild

but truthfully, it is no different than having Eriksson, so I really wonder if that is it or not.

More importantly, from what I read......they think he is the problem.....again, I am not sure about that.

Any which way you look at it though...…..for Edmonton to get rid of Lucic, it should have to hurt bad

Which your proposal doesn't do, as a matter of fact, I would say you were trying to be nice

Again....to get rid of Lucic it should have to hurt, which they are not prepared to do

So, don't be doing them any favours...…...

it is VASTLY different than having Loui. For one, its 1 year longer. For two, Loui is earning his ice-time ( albeit at 3x the price) as a 3rd line player and he kills penalties. Lucic is a black hole in the top lines and he does not have the speed to grind anymore in the bottom lines. Plus he does not kill penalties. Both are overvalued, but while Loui is still a decent NHL player who's massively overpaid, Lucic is close to being done at the NHL level altogether. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Here is my crazy proposal of the day;

Edmonton wants fix some holes on their team and compete while Mcdavid is in his prime. We need to add to our prospect depth and get more picks at this draft. We also don't want Seattle taking Demko from us. 

To Edmonton:

Jacob Markstrom starting Goalie

Brandon Sutter C (upgrade over Sam Gagner) 

Nikolay Goldobin  LW/RW

Tim Schaller LW

To Vancouver:

Jesse Puljujarvi RW

Milan Lucic LW

Ethan Bear RD

2019 2nd 38th overall 

Edmonton solves its goaltending issues by acquiring an elite number 1 starter in Jacob Markstrom, a solid bottom 6 C in Sutter who is an upgrade over Gagner, and a cheap potential top 6 winger in Goldobin who could use a change in scenery. Schaller who is basically an extra body to challenge for a spot or fill in for injuries. They also get more cap space by moving Lucic. 

Canucks add a potential top line winger with size in Puljujarvi who could use a change in scenery, a bottom 6 player who can win fights in Lucic and might even be able to fit on a line with Pettersson and Boeser, a decent looking right shot defence prospect, and the 38th pick at the 2019 draft which looks to be a really deep draft. 

Thats it.... go ahead and rip away CDC 

I love having Lucic, RIGHT WHERE HE IS!

Remember as well, when proposing stuff that involves other teams dumping bad salaries on us, we have no idea what is going to happen with Luongo. So, picking up a contract like Lucic, might mean that we are stuck trading a younger, more talented player that we really don't want to move.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

it is VASTLY different than having Loui. For one, its 1 year longer. For two, Loui is earning his ice-time ( albeit at 3x the price) as a 3rd line player and he kills penalties. Lucic is a black hole in the top lines and he does not have the speed to grind anymore in the bottom lines. Plus he does not kill penalties. Both are overvalued, but while Loui is still a decent NHL player who's massively overpaid, Lucic is close to being done at the NHL level altogether. 

I do agree with you...…..plz refer to my post right after that where I do say that

I think you did not understand my point...………...which was basically Eriksson is not worth 6M per year.....Maybe I wasn't clear about my point

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I would do Lucic at $4,000,000 per year (they retain 2M per year) for Eriksson...…………….that is 16M for ML and 18M for Loui

It is fair as Eriksson is better that Lucic and they throw in their 2019 2nd

But only if Lucic agrees to take out his NMC, so that we have the right to trade him......

Lucic then becomes very tradeable, as the majority of his contract would be already paid.....

2019-20 NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,000,000 $3,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
2020-21 NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $4,000,000 $4,000,000
2021-22 Modified NTC, NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $2,500,000 $2,500,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000
2022-23 Modified NTC, NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $4,000,000 $4,000,000

So, as you can see on the far right...…….he will actually be owed...…….

...…6M, 4M, 5M, 4M, but Edmonton would pay 2M, 2M, 2M, 2M, so he would actually be owed by the Canucks 4M, 2M, 3M, 2M, if we kept him, which is only 11M

Which is substantially lower than Eriksson's 18M owed

...……(but Lucic would still have a cap hit of 16M)

Again, you might ask why Edmonton would do this and add a 2nd, but he is totally useless, where Eriksson is not...…...especially compared to Lucic

IMHO

Actually, I believe that Eriksson is only owed 14 million and after his bonus payment on July 1st, its actually only 10 million for the remaining years. SO, in terms of movable contracts, any team that needs a cheap value contract to get to the cap floor, they get 3 years at 6 million hit but only payout 10 million overall, or 3.333333 million per season effectively, assuming they acquire him after July 1st.

15 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Actually, I believe that Eriksson is only owed 14 million and after his bonus payment on July 1st, its actually only 10 million for the remaining years. SO, in terms of movable contracts, any team that needs a cheap value contract to get to the cap floor, they get 3 years at 6 million hit but only payout 10 million overall, or 3.333333 million per season effectively, assuming they acquire him after July 1st.

Yes, his actual salary is 13M total of which 8M is signing bonus...……...so yes,not only is he a better player, but a much tradeable player, so maybe Edmonton adds???

So, if I got this right....we pay the 4M signing bonus July 1st, the trade him July 2, and his actual amount owing on his total contract is 9 million over the next 3 years

with a cap hit of 18 Million over the same time (July 2, 2019 onward)

Very interesting...….far less than Lucic……...so Edmonton should pay more !!!!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yes, his actual salary is 13M total of which 8M is signing bonus...……...so yes,not only is he a better player, but a much tradeable player, so maybe Edmonton adds???

So, if I got this right....we pay the 4M signing bonus July 1st, the trade him July 2, and his actual amount owing on his total contract is 9 million over the next 3 years

with a cap hit of 18 Million over the same time (July 2, 2019 onward)

Very interesting...….far less than Lucic……...so Edmonton should pay more !!!!

Correct on text in red.

On text in Green, I can't emphasize strongly enough, how much I enjoy watching the Good Ship McDavid, dragging a boat anchor named Lucic....

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

No chance we take on Lucic for one simple reason no one ever seems to mention.

Lucic has a NMC, which means come Seattle expansion, he MUST be protected.

Do you guys really want to be forced into protected Lucic? Along with Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette and then leaving Leivo, Pearson, Rousell, Baertschi available? Obviously the roster will change to some degree by then, but by no means should we handicap ourselves into protecting a $7m slug.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

No chance we take on Lucic for one simple reason no one ever seems to mention.

Lucic has a NMC, which means come Seattle expansion, he MUST be protected.

Do you guys really want to be forced into protected Lucic? Along with Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Gaudette and then leaving Leivo, Pearson, Rousell, Baertschi available? Obviously the roster will change to some degree by then, but by no means should we handicap ourselves into protecting a $7m slug.

This. There is absolutely zero room for a NMC contract going into the expansion draft unless said NMC is actually deserving of being a NMC in terms of performance. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Here is my crazy proposal of the day;

Edmonton wants fix some holes on their team and compete while Mcdavid is in his prime. We need to add to our prospect depth and get more picks at this draft. We also don't want Seattle taking Demko from us. 

To Edmonton:

Jacob Markstrom starting Goalie

Brandon Sutter C (upgrade over Sam Gagner) 

Nikolay Goldobin  LW/RW

Tim Schaller LW

To Vancouver:

Jesse Puljujarvi RW

Milan Lucic LW

Ethan Bear RD

2019 2nd 38th overall 

Edmonton solves its goaltending issues by acquiring an elite number 1 starter in Jacob Markstrom, a solid bottom 6 C in Sutter who is an upgrade over Gagner, and a cheap potential top 6 winger in Goldobin who could use a change in scenery. Schaller who is basically an extra body to challenge for a spot or fill in for injuries. They also get more cap space by moving Lucic. 

Canucks add a potential top line winger with size in Puljujarvi who could use a change in scenery, a bottom 6 player who can win fights in Lucic and might even be able to fit on a line with Pettersson and Boeser, a decent looking right shot defence prospect, and the 38th pick at the 2019 draft which looks to be a really deep draft. 

Thats it.... go ahead and rip away CDC 

Lucic = anchor.   Why would you take on an anchor contract from a division rival?   Why would you shore up the only position they seem incapable of filling with a strong goalie?   All this trade does is weaken Vancouver and make Edmonton immediately better.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Edm/Van