The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Apologizes to George McPhee

Rate this topic

I'd be curious to see the play from the on-ice perspective and in real time - not slowed down.  Not sure it's really possible to grasp what refs are seeing on the ice as the angles are not the same.  

7 minutes ago, mll said:

I'd be curious to see the play from the on-ice perspective and in real time - not slowed down.  Not sure it's really possible to grasp what refs are seeing on the ice as the angles are not the same.  

Didn't Toronto call into one of the Canucks games and overturned a call made by the officials? Couldn't that have happened here if they felt the wrong call was made?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Instead of just apologizing, maybe change the rules where a call they're thinking of making 5 min, can get reviewed, at least in the playoffs. It was a terrible call that they just called based on the injury. Apologizing doesn't really help Vegas. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

I AM SURPRIZED, USUALLY THE NHL BRASS HIDES WHEN THE POOP HITS THE FAN.

Too late to have your crappy refs suspended,they have been this bad for years and years.

Look at that play on Brooks Orpic last night, when a guy(Martinook?) comes skating up behind him grabs him from behind and drags him down on his head to the ice,AND NO CALL FROM THE REFS.

WHAT A JOKE THIS LEAGUE IS BECOMING.LOOKING AFTER THE PLAYERS SAFETY. HA!

JUST SO BLATANTLY CORRUPT! JUST THE STATES DOING THERE REGULAR THING I GUESS.

THAT'S WHY CANADA HASN'T WON A CUP IN DECADES.

YES, I am yelling mad.

• Upvote 2

When it comes to officiating, I simply assume incompetence and am pleasantly surprised when that isn't the case.  

The NHL (as well as other sports) has known for a LONG, LONG time that their refs can't handle the job - why do people think video-replay exists?  

• Haha 1

We're sorry about the blown call, please enjoy a higher than anticipated draft pick during our next rigged draft lottery.

Signed, 

Gary Bear and the rest of the gang.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It's about time officials were held accountable.  O'Halloran is a known problem referee who realistically shouldn't be employed at all.  Hopefully the league cracks down and this shows all the programs that their continued lack of professionalism is completely unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

what a joke theplay was dirtyhe injured pavelski   guy hit his skull onthe ice due to a crosscheck and  stasny  interferring with him  gtfo  5 minute major was right call learn to penalty kill vegas. thats ridiciulous maybe the league should take awaybruins cup for  the worst reffing ever in 2011 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

So I guess this just means refs have more of an incentive to let things go. Because why risk making a call of a major and screwing it up and get hit like this when you could just act like you didn't really see it clearly and not have to worry about risking your income.

Tbh it was a 5 minute major but they just called it on the wrong guy.

Eakin lifts Pavelski with the cross check but Stastny is the one who then catches him and pile drives him to the ice head first. It’s not even as if the puck was there or in the Vegas corner. Pavelski won the faceoff and was going to the front of the net to get positioning. 

Eakin makes him airborne but the real infraction was then Stastny slamming him down as the puck is nowhere near him. Stastny should have been tagged for roughing or interference and the 5 because it’s not a small deal what happened to Pavelski. Gruesome to say the least.

...and screw the NHL for sucking up to Vegas. Never have they done this before but their shiny new toy the Golden Knights, they’ll finely go out publicly to reassure them it was a mistake and they own up to it when things happen. Lmao gtfo here. What a joke. How about the past 10+ years of poor reffing? :picard:

• Wat 2

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

When it comes to officiating, I simply assume incompetence and am pleasantly surprised when that isn't the case.  

The NHL (as well as other sports) has known for a LONG, LONG time that their refs can't handle the job - why do people think video-replay exists?  

Gold 

I really wish people would stop with this assertion that the Canucks were screwed by the refs in 2011. We got significantly more PP time than Boston did. We just didn't take advantage the way we had all season.

The real reason for the loss was too many banged up regulars and a goaltending tandem with a .902 SV percentage, vs Tim Thomas' .967 %

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Tbh it was a 5 minute major but they just called it on the wrong guy.

Eakin lifts Pavelski with the cross check but Stastny is the one who then catches him and pile drives him to the ice head first. It’s not even as if the puck was there or in the Vegas corner. Pavelski won the faceoff and was going to the front of the net to get positioning. 

Eakin makes him airborne but the real infraction was then Stastny slamming him down as the puck is nowhere near him. Stastny should have been tagged for roughing or interference and the 5 because it’s not a small deal what happened to Pavelski. Gruesome to say the least.

...and screw the NHL for sucking up to Vegas. Never have they done this before but their shiny new toy the Golden Knights, they’ll finely go out publicly to reassure them it was a mistake and they own up to it when things happen. Lmao gtfo here. What a joke. How about the past 10+ years of poor reffing? :picard:

Did you even watch it? at no point does Stastny slam him down. Eakin crosschecked Pavelski into Statsny and he just ran into him. Statsny did absolutely nothing wrong.  If anything should have been a two for cross-checking by Eakins. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I really wish people would stop with this assertion that the Canucks were screwed by the refs in 2011. We got significantly more PP time than Boston did. We just didn't take advantage the way we had all season.

The real reason for the loss was too many banged up regulars and a goaltending tandem with a .902 SV percentage, vs Tim Thomas' .967 %

Agreed, some people seem to think we didn't get any calls but we got plenty of calls and never capitalized on any of them. I'm sure there were still missed calls but clearly it wasn't making a difference. Tim Thomas was insane, that's really all there was to it.