The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Apologizes to George McPhee

Rate this topic

When you paid tons of money to get a team, you get an apology. At least those clown refs don't move on.  

You know what bugs me the most about 2011?  Arguably one of the best ref retired right after the regular season that yr, Bill McCreary who did 15 SCF, couple of Olympics and World cup of hockey.  He should have done the playoffs that yr.  Nux would have been champs.  What ifs..... 

AKA the NHL kissing up to Vegas. So if Seattle gets a bad call in the playoffs is the NHL gonna apologize down the road?

Vegas needs to look at themselves as well. They are the ones that blew a 3-1 series lead and 3-0 lead with 10 mins left. It was nice to see Vegas knocked down a peg.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FutureFilm said:

AKA the NHL kissing up to Vegas. So if Seattle gets a bad call in the playoffs is the NHL gonna apologize down the road?

Vegas needs to look at themselves as well. They are the ones that blew a 3-1 series lead and 3-0 lead with 10 mins left. It was nice to see Vegas knocked down a peg.

I don’t see why there is an apology.  Player cross checks a defenceless opponent, who then (as a result) falls, and smashes his face against the ice, and lays unconscious for a long time.  The refs saw a cross check, and determined the result of that illegal cross check was a significant injury.  That’s totally their call to give a five and a match.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t see why there is an apology.  Player cross checks a defenceless opponent, who then (as a result) falls, and smashes his face against the ice, and lays unconscious for a long time.  The refs saw a cross check, and determined the result of that illegal cross check was a significant injury.  That’s totally their call to give a five and a match.   

Problem is the ref making the call said it was a cross check to the face. Which means he didn't actually see what happened. 

That was a shove to the body and no way was it worth 5 and a game that is ridiculous. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Problem is the ref making the call said it was a cross check to the face. Which means he didn't actually see what happened. 

That was a shove to the body and no way was it worth 5 and a game that is ridiculous. 

The rule is clear though.  There was a cross check to a vulnerable player.  The refs are completely within their powers to give five and a match because the illegal cross check resulted in a serious injury.  No apology was needed.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The rule is clear though.  There was a cross check to a vulnerable player.  The refs are completely within their powers to give five and a match because the illegal cross check resulted in a serious injury.  No apology was needed.  

If no apology was needed no apology would have been made. 

It was an awful call period. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

If no apology was needed no apology would have been made. 

It was an awful call period. 

NHL was apologizing to the Vegas fans in hopes of not losing them.  The call was fully within the realm of the ref’s authority.  

On 4/25/2019 at 11:01 AM, Rindiculous said:

So the Nhl came out and apologized to George McPhee about the call in Game 7.  The refs from that game O’Halloran and Ferlatt have been told they won’t ref for the rest of the playoffs.

Honestly I wouldn’t have a problem with this if the NHL always did this, but they HAVEN’T!  This is the first time ever they’ve done this and not only that they’ve done it to the newest franchise basically saying that this team is the sweetheart of the NHL.  This makes me feel absolutely sick being a Canucks fan being screwed time and time again by the refs with no apology.  Vegas fans get the golden treatment without any suffering at all and it is sick.

Also, why are these refs suspended, but Kelly Sutherland who made an arguably worse call in game 2 allowed to continue reffing?  I know all of us can agree that Sutherland has probably made the most bad calls in the NHL yet is given a free pass.

Sure a lot of you were Vegas fans last series but I’m sure you can agree with me that the NHL doing this is just stab in the back to us Canucks fans.

Kelly Sutherland gets a pass because he does exactly what the League wants him to do... fix the playoffs in favour of those teams with inside pull.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Kelly Sutherland gets a pass because he does exactly what the League wants him to do... fix the playoffs in favour of those teams with inside pull.

There is no way the league isn't in on his match-fixing in some way.  That is the only way to justify his continued employment.  JP Parise had a good solution for crooked refs like this...

From Friedman's 31 thoughts:

In the aftermath of Cody Eakin’s Game 7 cross-checking major, Vegas owner Bill Foley said he will lobby the Board of Governors to review those calls. An informal poll I conducted revealed there is zero support — absolutely none — for more review. Totally agree with that, no one needs more slowdowns.