Vancouver trades:

• 10th overall 2019
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Ben Hutton
  • Agreement to not draft at 9th from list provided by Anaheim

Anaheim returns:

• 9th overall 2019
  • 20th overall 2019

Rationale:   Ducks have a decent prospect pipeline but their aging "stars" only have so many seasons left and with Kesler a likely LTIR candidate, they could really use a Sutter.   Their D could use a Hutton.   They can still get the same player at 10 they could at 9 through the agreement above.   Vancouver does this as they have an emerging jam on left D and Sutter has become less relevant with the continued growth of Gaudette.   The 20th pick could be as valuable as the 9th in this very flat draft.

• Upvote 3

This is terrible for Anaheim. They aren’t trading the 20th pick for basically Sutter and Hutton. And they actually have many LHDs that are near NHL ready in their pipeline so they have no use for Hutton.

Edited by Blue Jay 22
  • Upvote 1

If Ana did this and Kesler didn't go ltir they'd be in violation of cap I believe then they'd be screwed.  

Their team's a bit of a mess.  Core is aged and seriously underperforming and their top 4 highest paid guys all have clauses attached.  Very difficult to see them improving next year with the same group coming back. 

I say we don't help them even if it helps us.

18 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Isn't this the same as just having the 10th pick anyways?

So the deal is really Sutter & Hutton for 20th OA?

Yup, though Anaheim doesn't risk losing who they want at 9.    Yup, that is the deal.

I like the OPs discussion and we have traded with ANA for decent players before,  but I really think that most GMs aren’t willing to trade with teams in the division unless they really have too and it’s a rebuilding team with a contender (so nothing will come back and bite them anytime soon).   Trade targets in other conferences or at least divisions offer a greater degree of possibility.   How many times have the Canucks made a move in their own division that’s wasn’t a minor move?  Not many, same with other teams in our division.  Kesler was a major deal...for Bonino plus plus.  And they weren’t worried at the time.  EDM..:Steve Staois comes to mind, he even captained their team I think for a bit.   CAL?   LA?  Can’t re-call any big moves with them.   St Louis was a big trade...and of course Pederson for Neely and Stajonov for Naslund, but at the time they weren’t big names.   Maybe we can do this with JV and poach someone...or maybe we get poached ..

20 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Vancouver trades:

• 10th overall 2019
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Ben Hutton

Anaheim returns:

• 9th overall 2019
  • 20th overall 2019

Rationale:   Ducks have a decent prospect pipeline but their aging "stars" only have so many seasons left and with Kesler a likely LTIR candidate, they could really use a Sutter.   Their D could use a Hutton.   They can still get the same player at 10 they could at 9 through the agreement above.   Vancouver does this as they have an emerging jam on left D and Sutter has become less relevant with the continued growth of Gaudette.   The 20th pick could be as valuable as the 9th in this very flat draft.

I’d absolutely do this, and draft Broberg at 10, and Seider at 20.  

22 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

This is terrible for Anaheim. They aren’t trading the 20th pick for basically Sutter and Hutton. And they actually have many LHDs that are near NHL ready in their pipeline so they have no use for Hutton.

On the left they also have Fowler and Hampus Lindholm.  

Hutton is a 3.2M qualifying offer and he has arbitration rights.  He played a lot this year because of the numerous injuries and the lack of depth.  His minutes can drive prices up although they are due to injuries and not necessarily because he earned them.

There were a few teams interested last summer but they were all at the cap so it must have been another contract coming back.  Sutter looked to be slower this season.  McKenzie said he called around and there was apparently no real interest when healthy before his last injury.  He missed so much time and it's unclear how it will impact his speed with every team getting so much faster.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would definitely do this but not sure if Anaheim would.  Drafting Boldy and Seider would be a great haul though.

Got the idea after talking to some Anaheim people who are looking to add some veterans as they cannot easily move on from their current veteran line up so need to augment it.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Got the idea after talking to some Anaheim people who are looking to add some veterans as they cannot easily move on from their current veteran line up so need to augment it.

Murray is talking of a rebuild - he wants to get younger, faster.  Doesn't sound like he wants to add veteran presence rather keep the ones they believe in / can't move and bring up the prospects.  There's noise that their next coach could be Dallas Eakins who has been coaching San Diego and is familiar with the prospects they see on the team next year.

Edited by mll

6 hours ago, mll said:

Murray is talking of a rebuild - he wants to get younger, faster.  Doesn't sound like he wants to add veteran presence rather keep the ones they believe in / can't move and bring up the prospects.  There's noise that their next coach could be Dallas Eakins who has been coaching San Diego and is familiar with the prospects they see on the team next year.

yup, they don't want a rebuild but need some bridge players.    That is what I am hearing and it is interesting they are one of the few teams that scouted the Canucks last couple of games when Hutton was back playing.    Kesler's future really uncertain as well.  Things you hear - could be nothing.   Guess we all find out soon.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:54 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Vancouver trades:

• 10th overall 2019
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Ben Hutton

Anaheim returns:

• 9th overall 2019
  • 20th overall 2019

The 9th overall and 10th overall have the same value this draft so that is even.

Then you think Anaheim would actually give the Canucks the 20th overall pick for Sutter and Hutton? I highly doubt those two get you that mid 1st round pick.

I would do it in a heartbeat. I just highly doubt Anaheim would.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:54 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Vancouver trades:

• 10th overall 2019
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Ben Hutton

Anaheim returns:

• 9th overall 2019
  • 20th overall 2019

hmmm..

kind of a cool idea, but if we can't draft anything different at 9 than we could at 10, then there's no actual benefit for either team there. 

that leaves trading Sutter and hutton for the 20th pick, which I don't think is enough return..

we need a scoring winger, so how about trading Sutter & Hutton for Comtois. That could bring joy to CDC.. 

It is a cool idea, and the temperature in Anaheim might be just warm enough for it.

The scene:

Less than 2 months from now, in our own barn,

Bettman approaches the podium,

the fans start to boo a bit,

then turn it into a nice appropriate clap for him.

Bettman, impressed, thanks Vancouver through thanking the Vancouver fans.

After the 8th pick, Bettman returns to the podium and says, 

"You're gonna wanna hear this:  

The Vancouver Canucks trade the 10th overall pick,

(pause for crowd gasp and moan),

Brandon Sutter and Ben Hutton,

to the Anaheim Ducks for,

the 20th overall pick,

and the 9th overall pick in this 2019 National Hockey League Draft!"

Huge applause for our new best bud, who woulda thunk it, Commissioner Gary (Gare; call me Gare, Jim) Bettman!

Shaking Benning's hand during the 9th pick, 'Gare' adds, "Good crowd Jim, hope to see them in the finals soon."

I like it although I believe that the Ducks are right up against the cap, aren't they?  

It makes a lot of sense for them to push for playoffs for the next two years.  

They have Perry and Getzlaf for two more years at a combined 17 million per season.  Those two have won them cups and deserve a good team to end their careers on (they're both 33).  

Just give us the 20th overall pick and their 6th rounder in this draft.  I want us to break the record for the most draft picks in a single NHL Draft round.  A bit obscure 

I like this deal, but the Ducks are up against the cap, so wouldn't be able to spring for Sutter.

Ducks get  Sutter (50%) retained 2.187 for 2 seasons + Eaves buried contract 2.075 for 1 season +10th overall

Nucks get 9th overall + 20th overall.