Sign in to follow this  
aqua59

Lets open this to discussion Mike Gillis returning President

Rate this topic

https://vancouversun.com/category/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks

I personally have mixed feelings on this however the more i think about it the more I like the idea of Gillis returning in this capacity. 

That said I wonder if Mike would even want to come back. 

I keep getting the feeling that the front office is weak and could use a boost in a big way. 

Well what do you think? Lets hear it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't feel like he wants to come back, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. It's not like he'd be the GM.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

We need a legit cap guru before we need a president imo. 

We're fine now, but when Demko, EP,QH,BB,OJ, ect....all come due I don't want to get caught like the Laffs are right now.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

They were talking on 650 about more like a senior advisor... that sounds more realistic.

• Like 1

He would address some of the concerns I have with Benning on a general management side but really doesn't fix all the concerns.  

While it sounds like having Benning would keep the drafting strong.

Having Gillis would improve the general management and hopefully cap management.

Neither were any good at trading though and do question the pro scouting of both of them.

Not likely to happen anyway but ultimately I think if you are looking to compliment Benning he doesn't quite fit the profile.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

did frank really not burn that bridge when he axed gillis in the first place?

• Upvote 2

hard no from me. MG was arrogant, disliked in the GM community, and simply not that great. He made a few good moves, but the main core was inherited from the previous regime.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

We're fine now, but when Demko, EP,QH,BB,OJ, ect....all come due I don't want to get caught like the Laffs are right now.

I can't remember who I heard talking about this, but whoever it was made a couple of salient points about paying big bucks to players on a team (Toronto) that hasn't made it out of the first round in, well, forever. The basic idea was "Why would you pay these young stars as if they had won three or four Stanley Cups when they haven't won anything? And what will you do if they happen to actually win the Cup, since there is no room for more players to make big money?" If Vancouver is prudent, they will keep salaries at the reasonable end UNTIL the team has had legitimate success. In that vein, I'd offer Boeser no more than $6 million over three years, then make it clear that he has an opportunity to make really big money IF a) he turns into a reliable 40 goal guy and b) the team makes a couple of long playoff runs. My battle cry: No big dollars until we see big results.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Lots of people screaming and crying HELL NO at every suggestion or even hint of a suggestion for who would be a good fit for prez.  But rarely, if ever, is a viable name floated.  Why is this?

Gillis knows hockey.  And the business of hockey.  And he wouldn't be a terrible choice.  Is he the best available?  I doubt it.  But I bet he would help the team.

Keith Gretzky was mentioned.  Big hoopla over that one.  Why?  He is smart.  Is a very accomplished scout.  He would probably make a good assistant GM here.  He and Benning have a positive history.  We are still heavily in the foundation building phase, and his eye and knowledge will pay off.  But, maybe not as prez.

More eyes, more approaches to getting tricky trades and maneuvers done can never be a bad thing.

QUESTION: WHO WOULD BE A REALLY GOOD PRESIDENT, THEN?

Someone with a high profile.
Someone that is respected across hockey.

Someone hopefully connected to the team or province.

Someone with business AND scouting experience.
Someone that knows how to win.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Whats the fascination with a team president.

The facscination is that we are one of the richest teams in the league and have one of the smallest management organizations.

President, Senior advisor, more scouts, more player development, etc.  More minds and more hands to get a handle on things is better.  Benning was too busy to go to Utica even once this season.  That is unforgivable for a team that is in our staff of rebuilding... especially considering players were leaving there due to how they felt they were being treated.

• Upvote 4