The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lets open this to discussion Mike Gillis returning President

Rate this topic

aqua59

WELL YOU CANUCK FANS including me dont be BOO HOO BOO HOOwhen things are just like last few seasons....as long as that italian stallion is calling the major moves this team is going to flounder...empty seats no playoffs and fans crying....GILLIS was a smart man and if you think keith gretzky or a glen sather ken holland can do way better i dont think so....look at the oilers look at leafs look at montreal ...look at jets flames....nashville has some good management..they just dont have the rude mix of players win and go over the next level........the CANUCKS need to get their act together..i know its a rebuild slowly but you get wasted signings wasted drafts and horrible moves..only player i likes far in ;art year was levin and peterson we will see if he is all in....as far as the three cores bowser petey hornet they are solid foundation...the team needs to bevbetter at making decisions...GILLLIS WAS GREAT  AT MAKING MOVES.....

• Wat 4

On 5/5/2019 at 11:55 PM, hockeygod77 said:

WELL YOU CANUCK FANS including me dont be BOO HOO BOO HOOwhen things are just like last few seasons....as long as that italian stallion is calling the major moves this team is going to flounder...empty seats no playoffs and fans crying....GILLIS was a smart man and if you think keith gretzky or a glen sather ken holland can do way better i dont think so....look at the oilers look at leafs look at montreal ...look at jets flames....nashville has some good management..they just dont have the rude mix of players win and go over the next level........the CANUCKS need to get their act together..i know its a rebuild slowly but you get wasted signings wasted drafts and horrible moves..only player i likes far in ;art year was levin and peterson we will see if he is all in....as far as the three cores bowser petey hornet they are solid foundation...the team needs to bevbetter at making decisions...GILLLIS WAS GREAT  AT MAKING MOVES.....

What moves made him great?

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

What moves made him great?

Hamhuis and Erhoff...MG best quality was also one of his worst for Benning, which was signing guys under the cap to deals with less money but full of clauses.  

He was NOT a trade wizard by any stretch.  A fourth for Erhoff..wow.  TO had a way better deal for Luongo but he stubbornly didn’t take it.   Quinn was a much better trader....

On 4/26/2019 at 12:47 PM, Pears said:

He constantly gave up picks for bottom six forwards and depth defensemen and handed out NTCs/NMCs like candy. That is the reason why Benning didn’t have much to work with when he started. 

Exactly. To be fair though, he was asked to go all in . It rarely works out for the next GM when that happens.  Just ask the next Blue jackets GM down the line . 

On 5/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, NUCKER67 said:

His drafting was atrocious (save Bo), but I do give him credit for building the 2010 team.

Hansen 

Burrows 

H sedin 

D sedin 

Raymond 

Kesler 

Michtell 

Edler 

Luongo

None of those guys were brought here by Gillis 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Hansen 

Burrows 

H sedin 

D sedin 

Raymond 

Kesler 

Michtell 

Edler 

None of those guys were brought here by Gillis 

Add to that list maybe the most important player - Luongo.  

Gillis tinkered with an established core, and did very well.

Building the core (IMO) is much more difficult.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

MG is the devil, having a sick team for years sucked.

JB is the best, never playing playoff hockey is the bomb.

Everything is MG's fault, he should have drafted a new core in the second and third rounds.

It takes 10 years to rebuild every team right? Every team goes on decade long dry spells, right? JB is doing everything amazingly right?

We need to suck for another 3 years so we can draft players right???

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

MG is the devil, having a sick team for years sucked.

JB is the best, never playing playoff hockey is the bomb.

Everything is MG's fault, he should have drafted a new core in the second and third rounds.

It takes 10 years to rebuild every team right? Every team goes on decade long dry spells, right? JB is doing everything amazingly right?

We need to suck for another 3 years so we can draft players right???

When he inherited the team we had a large number of guys with NMC’s and NTC’s, which he had used to keep cap hits down. It worked for the time being, but if they don’t want to move then we’re stuck waiting for them to leave. Sedins wouldn’t move, Edler wouldn’t move, and so we had to wait for them them to go. 

Benning hasn’t done great with signings, although Beagle and Roussel were pretty good placeholders, I agree. His trading has been average, I really don’t hate the Baer trade, and his drafting has been stellar, aside from Jake. I’m curious as to whether Francesco was involved in that pick, big, hometown boy, very good from a marketing standpoint. Petey and Hughes were home runs, Juolevi will be pretty good, just injury issues. 

I’m trying to stay patient, but yeah, it’s pretty difficult. I just want Benning to carry out the rebuild in its entirety. If we end up firing him, we'll have to wait a lot longer for playoff hockey. 

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Why he was good at cap management is the reason Benning was screwed trying to get assets for the old core . Pretty easy to sign players when u are giving them all legit shots at the cup , and all the leverage with their contracts 4 the next GM to enjoy. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

It’s amazing how bad the drafting was. Except BO and maybe M Grabner.

The Canuck Stanley Cup team he built was awesome tho. Just bad luck in the end.

Once again, he did not build it 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Very good point . I forgot to add him . Added :)

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thought he wanted to try for the Seattle gig?

According to Brian Burke (from his radio interview last week),who is pretty tight with the Seattle ownership,..as far as he is aware,Gillis is not in the running for the Seattle job

Edited by Honky Cat
  • Thanks 1