The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lets open this to discussion Mike Gillis returning President

Rate this topic

aqua59

Benning pretty much makes up for most of Gillis' shortcomings as far as my limited perception perceives. Drafting on the forefront. 

I would 100% support this if bennning has the last word on drafting and 50% of the last word on trades/roster moves etc. Gillis is on the record saying that he wants a role behind the scenes. Benning and Gillis both bring a LOT to the table in totally different areas. 

Edited by Eli4sPetterss0n

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Great. Keith Gretzky and now Gillis being talked about by the media.....

....this is going to be a long off-season.....

Hang in there, somehow Chiarelli's name will be mentioned too.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

It was either that or pay them a f lot more. Since we have zero cups, each and everyone one of us would take the NTC route. 

Like what I said before, it was Bennings incompetence that stalled our rebuild.

And how many interviews has Gillis had in the NHL since his departure?

ZERO :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Boy the Aqua family really wants to turn this team into a circus show, JB would not be happy about that...

Aquilini wants employees he can manipulate/ puppet.  No way we get a President with experience, who would challenge Aquilini.  

8 minutes ago, 6string said:

And how many interviews has Gillis had in the NHL since his departure?

ZERO :rolleyes:

Benning won’t get any either once we replace him. In fact, neither will his master and mentor  Chirelli most likely and he has a flukey cup.:emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

Would they even be able to work together?

The way they see the things seems too differently...

Yes, Gilles did give us a great team at discounted salaries, to keep us under the cap, but the price for that was the hated NMC/NTC's...

You can't have it both ways...

If you get Gilles back, would we not just end up in the same hole that we have been trying so hard to get out of?

7 hours ago, aqua59 said:

https://vancouversun.com/category/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks

I personally have mixed feelings on this however the more i think about it the more I like the idea of Gillis returning in this capacity. 

That said I wonder if Mike would even want to come back. 

I keep getting the feeling that the front office is weak and could use a boost in a big way. 

Well what do you think? Lets hear it. 

It wouldn’t work because Gillis and Benning have almost polar opposite hockey philosophies.   Benning would need to go. 

Gillis also stated that he’d only be open to returning if he had complete control and did things HIS way.  Given the Acquillini is very “hands on” and has an old school philosophy much like Benning, I don’t think Gillis would be a good fit here.

Only way Gillis comes back if current ownership and management were gone.

8 hours ago, Fanuck said:

We need a legit cap guru before we need a president imo. 

We're fine now, but when Demko, EP,QH,BB,OJ, ect....all come due I don't want to get caught like the Laffs are right now.

Interesting point. In all honesty how hard can the cap be to manage? It's a staff of 50 and a payroll of $80M?

Edited by Chris12345

7 hours ago, cdubuya said:

hard no from me. MG was arrogant, disliked in the GM community, and simply not that great. He made a few good moves, but the main core was inherited from the previous regime.  

100% He made one trade. Erhoff. He was so bad.

Edited by Chris12345