The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lets open this to discussion Mike Gillis returning President

Rate this topic

aqua59

54 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Boy the Aqua family really wants to turn this team into a circus show, JB would not be happy about that...

And Benning hasn't already turned this team into a clown show? People always refer to Gillis' amateur scouting as his downfall, yet, when we look at Benning's work, has it really been that much better than Gillis? Yes, he did draft Boeser and he gets props for that, but he also botched the top-6 picks of Virtanen (When fans were screaming for Nylander) and Juolevi (When fans were once again calling for the right pick, Tkachuk). For however bad you want to say Gillis' drafting was, he actually tried fixing the issue we had with our amateur scouts and he was well ahead of his time employing advanced statistics, sleep doctors well before teams gave them serious consideration. Benning is well behind his time in terms of these things and there's no need to go into detail about it. He hit on the Horvat pick towards the end of his tenure when fans were calling for Nichushkin - that's what you call shrewd drafting. Benning's pro scouts are much worse than Gillis' amateur scouts with the horrendous trades of Sutter, Gudbranson, their respective signings, Beagle, Eriksson, etc. I can literally go on for days in terms of how JB has actually turned this team into a clown show. That's not to say I would have Gillis at the top of my list. If I had a pick, I would bring in Ron Francis as GM - look at the work he has made with Carolina. That team is so well-constructed and cap-wise doesn't look to be running into any issues any time soon. But, I can deal with Gillis being hired - even as president - because it ensures change from Benning, something god knows this team can use desperately so we don't waste prime Horvat/Boeser years.

• Wat 3

50 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

It wouldn’t work because Gillis and Benning have almost polar opposite hockey philosophies.   Benning would need to go. 

Gillis also stated that he’d only be open to returning if he had complete control and did things HIS way.  Given the Acquillini is very “hands on” and has an old school philosophy much like Benning, I don’t think Gillis would be a good fit here.

Only way Gillis comes back if current ownership and management were gone.

So when did this happen? I have a hard time believing he would even come back here.

11 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

So when did this happen? I have a hard time believing he would even come back here.

I think that's the point.  Gillis ain't coming back.

Hey everybody, there's no Canucks talk these days so some is being invented.  For all of you who are stirred up over Gillis.  There are no facts or reality behind this speculation.  There is nothing to say that FA is looking for a President.  Lombardi?  It has been denied by both parties.  Nothing to be seen here.

9 hours ago, aqua59 said:

https://vancouversun.com/category/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks

I personally have mixed feelings on this however the more i think about it the more I like the idea of Gillis returning in this capacity. 

That said I wonder if Mike would even want to come back. 

I keep getting the feeling that the front office is weak and could use a boost in a big way. 

Well what do you think? Lets hear it. 

No no more ntc he handed them out like candy

9 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

He said it in an interview with LeBrun, don't have the quote on me but I also recall reading about it earlier today.

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone can put together a real argument that Benning has actually been a better GM than Gillis. Benning said we wouldn't have to rebuild yet all of our seasons under Benning (sans the year he made the playoffs) have all been worse than our worst year under Gillis.

1 minute ago, Shinkaruk_9 said:

He said it in an interview with LeBrun, don't have the quote on me but I also recall reading about it earlier today.

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone can put together a real argument that Benning has actually been a better GM than Gillis. Benning said we wouldn't have to rebuild yet all of our seasons under Benning (sans the year he made the playoffs) have all been worse than our worst year under Gillis.

On one hand i can't see MG coming back to a team that canned his azz when there are lots of opportunities for a good Gm out there, and also i can't see Francesco re-hiring someone he just let go a few years ago. What's next bring Trevor Linden back?

1 minute ago, Cup2022 said:

No no more ntc he handed them out like candy

Well what did you prefer; contracts such as borderline #1 defenceman Hamhuis for 4.6 mil/yr and Art-ross winners for 6 mil/yr (I can go on and on for days about Gillis' shrewd signings) or 4 mil/yr for #6/#7 defenceman Gudbranson or 6 mil/yr for 3rd/4th line winger Eriksson? Gillis and Gilman were masters of the salary cap and never did we run into cap issues despite being the best team in hockey over a 2-year stretch.

3 minutes ago, Shinkaruk_9 said:

Well what did you prefer; contracts such as borderline #1 defenceman Hamhuis for 4.6 mil/yr and Art-ross winners for 6 mil/yr (I can go on and on for days about Gillis' shrewd signings) or 4 mil/yr for #6/#7 defenceman Gudbranson or 6 mil/yr for 3rd/4th line winger Eriksson? Gillis and Gilman were masters of the salary cap and never did we run into cap issues despite being the best team in hockey over a 2-year stretch.

Gilman did all the contracts, maybe he should be president.

Just now, Westcoasting said:

On one hand i can't see MG coming back to a team that canned his azz when there are lots of opportunities for a good Gm out there, and also i can't see Francesco re-hiring someone he just let go a few years ago. What's next bring Trevor Linden back?

MG has said he loves the pacific northwest and doesn't want to move from it so that answers your first question. In regards to Francesco, I think you can look at the success you had under Gillis and realize he was not wrong when he called for a rebuild for the team. Francesco wants a winner? Suck up your pride, and I think he has done so by reaching out to him, as it has been confirmed now by multiple people in the media. Linden was actually canned because he wanted to remain on route and not go for the big signings that they splurged on with Beagle and Russell, and can't say I disagree with him (Although he did deserve to be fired as well).

Ultimately, I think Gillis was fired during his first tenure here due to the media constantly pushing out this image of him being arrogant, smug (Which he was, no denying it) but it shouldn't have been an issue. It was all propaganda because there was a very tight circle around the Canucks and I don't think the people really liked that (That's my 2 cents on why he was wrongfully fired and why he should be brought back).

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Gilman did all the contracts, maybe he should be president.

Then why does Gillis get the blame for the NTCs? We have to have amongst the most fickle fanbase in hockey.

Edit: And I would love to have Gilman as president. Very shrewd person, has always come off as a very intelligent individual even during interviews and was also stupidly dismissed by JB and Weisbrod, who we have seen what they are capable of doing when it comes to contracts and handling the media (JB somehow managed to get fined for tampering in today's day and age lol).

Edited by Shinkaruk_9
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Shinkaruk_9 said:

Then why does Gillis get the blame for the NTCs? We have to have amongst the most fickle fanbase in hockey.

Edit: And I would love to have Gilman as president. Very shrewd person, has always come off as a very intelligent individual even during interviews and was also stupidly dismissed by JB and Weisbrod, who we have seen what they are capable of doing when it comes to contracts and handling the media (JB somehow managed to get fined for tampering in today's day and age lol).

Agreed totally. 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I found it...start listening at around 3:00 mark and at about 3:30 he literally says that he thinks he will go after high end UFAs, and the host completely goes the opposite way. Kind of left Jim in a weird spot, he probably doesn’t want to go on record publicly to agents  that he is willing to pay $11 million for their guy.... he does add a “but” if there is a guy that can help....

He literally said he wants to go after high end guys and the title of the story and clipis that he isn’t.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/jim-benning-pleased-canucks-depth-unlikely-go-big-name-free-agents/#respond

Thanks for finding that.  Benning said that he's not looking to add to the [bottom 6, bottom pair.....my words] like he did last year but is thinking about the top end [of the line up].  [clearly they're missing a LW to play with Petey and a RW to play with Horvat and a top 6 RHD].  I took his comments and his cough to mean that they weren't considering a Tavares type addition [which Karlsson would be].  I hear Benning say around this point that he's looking for players who are going to support the young guys.  I take this to mean Petey, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes?; players who are not core type guys but will really help these guys to excell

This is all open to interpretation but I don't see anything rash or earth shattering coming based on Bennings comments.  Keeping in mind that making top end free agent deals is hard when a team is rebuilding so even if he is looking, finding a great player is going to be hard.  The Canucks will be in tough for a playoff spot next year.  They will certainly improve but by how much will very much depend on how the chips fall over the summer

21 minutes ago, Shinkaruk_9 said:

I wouldn't be against that for sure, one problem though is that most guys would want to bring in their own choice for Gm just like a Gm would want his guy in for coach. So basically a big can o'worms still :)

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

He stated on Team 1040 about a month back that he’d be open to returning in a hockey capacity, but it would have to be as a President (too old to be a GM), and he’d have to have leeway to do everything “his way,” without any ownership interference whatsoever.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

27 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

He stated on Team 1040 about a month back that he’d be open to returning in a hockey capacity, but it would have to be as a President (too old to be a GM), and he’d have to have leeway to do everything “his way,” without any ownership interference whatsoever.

Ok my mistake, i was thinking he was talking about coming back to the Nucks... i think that ship sailed long ago.

• Upvote 2