The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lets open this to discussion Mike Gillis returning President

Rate this topic

aqua59

We need a forwad thinking, out-of-the-box mind like his. Especially today. He's the type of active, busines-minded President we need rather than a figurehead PR type. I love his approach to problem solving. He's not afraid to be unconventional. 

I can see an opportunity for this to work but it would require Aquilini and Benning to let go of the "he was the previous GM" mentality. That's incredibly tough for some people to do in such a conventional environment.

And tbh, I'd rather see Gillis creating/building success as our President rather than watching him help Seattle or another team win.

If the organization is committed to making it work in a healthy way, and really see the value/opportunity in bringing Gillis back for his strengths, I'm all for it. 

On 4/26/2019 at 12:47 PM, Pears said:

He constantly gave up picks for bottom six forwards and depth defensemen and handed out NTCs/NMCs like candy. That is the reason why Benning didn’t have much to work with when he started. 

Uh... He was shooting for a Stanley Cup. It was about keeping and attracting good players and a goaltender to compliment the Sedins. Did he go overboard on the NTC/NMC's? Maybe. But I'm guessing you'd be singing a different tune of we'd won in 2011. It was a big gamble that didn't pay off. Officials, especially Sutherland, and the Bruins and Leaf old boys club in Toronto made sure to step on the scales just enough.

Conversely, of you want an example of when NOT to employ that "strategy" it's when you are starting a rebuild. ie... Bennings first few years

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Uh... He was shooting for a Stanley Cup. It was about keeping and attracting good players and a goaltender to compliment the Sedins. Did he go overboard on the NTC/NMC's? Maybe. But I'm guessing you'd be singing a different tune of we'd won in 2011. It was a big gamble that didn't pay off. Officials, especially Sutherland, and the Bruins and Leaf old boys club in Toronto made sure to step on the scales just enough.

Conversely, of you want an example of when NOT to employ that "strategy" it's when you are starting a rebuild. ie... Bennings first few years

And if you cared to read a few posts down, I said I understood what he was doing. That still doesn’t excuse his absolute steaming pile of garbage that was his drafting. He set us back. Stanley Cup or no Stanley Cup. 

16 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Naslund would be perfect.

Honest answers. 

Good face for the franchise. 

And he'd let Benning keep doing what he's good at. 

I would like to see a capologist/contract manager type for Assistant GM. And ease out Wisebrod. 

If Linden did not succeed at being a President, and wasn't given full autonomy..why would Naslund?

May as well put Shane 'O'Brien in the Presidents chair..Unless,an executive with real clout comes in..they may as well just leave the Presidency vacant.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

If Linden did not succeed at being a President, and wasn't given full autonomy..why would Naslund?

May as well put Shane 'O'Brien in the Presidents chair..Unless,an executive with real clout comes in..they may as well just leave the Presidency vacant.

I'm not necessarily supporting the idea, but at least Naslund actually has experience running a hockey team (Modo).

Trevor Linden, on the other hand, was about as experienced as Shane O'Brien.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1