The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Canucks trade targets, candidates and Goldobin considering signing in the KHL.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:12 PM, theo5789 said:

Chevy traded last year's 1st for a rental (Stastny) and looking like it will happen again this year (Hayes) unless they open up cap room to re-sign him meaning potentially losing more assets to make room of offloading some decent talent. To be clear I'm not criticizing these moves as it was an attempt to make a playoff push and that's just the way things go sometimes. But while Chevy has certainly made some good moves indeed, he's also made some moves that some of this fanbase would criticize to no end if his name was Benning.

The only problem with dealing for Trouba is if there's a bidding war and if he even wants to play here long term. There's not a whole lot of leverage for Chevy to work with as it's looking like he doesn't want to stay in Winnipeg and they don't have to room to hang on to him cap-wise.

Trouba had been trouble for Chevy since he was drafted.  He has shown little interest in the Peg.  

IMO Chevy needs to still keep a draft stockpile to maintain his club long term.  The Peg isn't an exciting city, lots of crime and it is a very small market.  Hard to attract the top FA's and retain top young players in a place like that.  

Getting a high pick in a wide open draft could be really appealing to Chevy.  Add in Tanev plus another asset, second tier prospect, middle six forward or a lower pick.  He resigns Myers and they lower their cap, Tanev waives to play with his brother and play on the second pairing, Chevy gets a blue chip prospect and Myers would be a cheaper option to keep vs Trouba.   

Trouba would have to be willing to sign for the deal to go thru.  Van gets its Magic Unicorn a revitalized defence.  Sign Edler to a short deal to avoid losing a defender to Seattle, promise to sign him to a better deal after the expansion draft next year and prior to him turning 35.  

This has some merit... that's why I keep kicking it around.  

20 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

There are options and opportunities to be had.  

Cap trouble is hitting the peg this year.  They didn't have the playoffs they wanted and need to decide on which player to let go of.

I have Trouba as a high probability due to his past contract squabbles.  That could be water under the bridge, but he represents the magic rainbow unicorn to Canucks fans.  A true top pairing RHD, young and would fit really well into our group age wise.

Honestly I can look at him, EK and even Myers and find a reason to get one of them to Vancouver.  

We aren't likely to get any, but that is the key position than needs to be filled IMO, far more of a hole than LW.  

We likely take our pick at 10, sign a middling FA or two and send out our fringe extras via waiver wire.  

That's not going to raise this team from the bottom of the league.  IMO a bold move is well timed this off season.   

Yes a bold move but a trade has to be neutral value. That limits the bold move to a UFA signing. IMHO the Canuck player depth is not big enough to send draft picks or multiple players the other way. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Trouba had been trouble for Chevy since he was drafted.  He has shown little interest in the Peg.  

IMO Chevy needs to still keep a draft stockpile to maintain his club long term.  The Peg isn't an exciting city, lots of crime and it is a very small market.  Hard to attract the top FA's and retain top young players in a place like that.  

Getting a high pick in a wide open draft could be really appealing to Chevy.  Add in Tanev plus another asset, second tier prospect, middle six forward or a lower pick.  He resigns Myers and they lower their cap, Tanev waives to play with his brother and play on the second pairing, Chevy gets a blue chip prospect and Myers would be a cheaper option to keep vs Trouba.   

Trouba would have to be willing to sign for the deal to go thru.  Van gets its Magic Unicorn a revitalized defence.  Sign Edler to a short deal to avoid losing a defender to Seattle, promise to sign him to a better deal after the expansion draft next year and prior to him turning 35.  

This has some merit... that's why I keep kicking it around.  

Who's to say our offer would be the best? There's a rumour of Kadri for Trouba. The Jets need a 2nd line center and this could provide them that. There could be a bidding war that will drive his price up. My red flags for Trouba is he's had shortened seasons for 4 out of 6 seasons and his production in the playoffs isn't impressive with 6 points in 27 games although he's a tough defender aside from the point production.

I think Trouba is good, but not quite the "magical unicorn" that we are looking for, especially for what we would have to give up in return.

17 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Who's to say our offer would be the best? There's a rumour of Kadri for Trouba. The Jets need a 2nd line center and this could provide them that. There could be a bidding war that will drive his price up. My red flags for Trouba is he's had shortened seasons for 4 out of 6 seasons and his production in the playoffs isn't impressive with 6 points in 27 games although he's a tough defender aside from the point production.

I think Trouba is good, but not quite the "magical unicorn" that we are looking for, especially for what we would have to give up in return.

The 'magical unicorn' reference is to having a top pairing RHD... we haven't had that since Erhoff left.  

Watch "White Castle' and you will get the reference... Niel Patrick Harris.  

TO could offer Kadri, but has no cap space.  So how could they possibly afford Trouba's next deal.  The Peg isnt going to take salary back.  

If we get out bid, so what.  'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.'

I doubt there will be alot of teams trading for Trouba with EK becoming an FA.  Unless JB has some really good indicators that EK would really like to come to Vancity, which would require Edler being here, most likely.  JB IMO cannot pass up anything to fix that glaring hole.  

EK, Trouba, Myers etc...  none may be everything we want in a RHD man, but we need to come away with one or another not named this Offseason IMO.  

I would be happy with any of the 3, just looking at how Trouba could be acquired.  

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

The 'magical unicorn' reference is to having a top pairing RHD... we haven't had that since Erhoff left.  

Watch "White Castle' and you will get the reference... Niel Patrick Harris.  

TO could offer Kadri, but has no cap space.  So how could they possibly afford Trouba's next deal.  The Peg isnt going to take salary back.  

If we get out bid, so what.  'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.'

I doubt there will be alot of teams trading for Trouba with EK becoming an FA.  Unless JB has some really good indicators that EK would really like to come to Vancity, which would require Edler being here, most likely.  JB IMO cannot pass up anything to fix that glaring hole.  

EK, Trouba, Myers etc...  none may be everything we want in a RHD man, but we need to come away with one or another not named this Offseason IMO.  

I would be happy with any of the 3, just looking at how Trouba could be acquired.  

I get the reference. I'm just not confident that Trouba is indeed that guy. He would be our de facto top pairing RHD, much like Edler is currently our de facto #1 but I don't believe Edler to be a true #1. The cost to acquire him may be high depending on if there is a bidding war for his services. Again, not as confident that he's the target worth giving up the needed assets for.

Kadri alone opens up some room already and they will just have to get creative in making more space (I'd take on Zaitsev if they gave us their 1st and Kapanen as well), but at least they would be addressing an issue that has been a big problem for them. I'm not saying we don't go after Trouba at all, but I just think other teams will have better offers than what I would want to give up to bring him in. Make the offer, sure, but let some other team overpay to bring him in if it gets to that point.

I don't disagree that we should be targeting a RHD, but it has to be acquired reasonably. EK may want to go out East, Trouba may want to get out of a Canadian market, I think Myers UFA value will not be equal to his play, so it doesn't leave a whole lot of options and we cannot simply force the issue and hurt ourselves in the long run.