The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Speculation] Canucks trade targets, candidates and Goldobin considering signing in the KHL.

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I also don't imagine Benning will be leaving the D as status quo besides the addition of those two. I see trades coming (Hutton packaged for a righty? Tryamkin eventually returning? Tanev moved?)

Benning works for Aquaman.

We were rumoured to have called Tavares. Not that he would have accepted. We were in on PK Subban. We paid Luongo 2/3rds of the franchise value of some NHL teams. Tried to get Hedman. Wrote off $25 mill plus in contracts with Gillis, AV & Torts. Signed Sundin. None of this speaks conservative.

I fully expect we will be calling Karlsson, Panarin, Duchesne. Get? Different story. But we'll be in!

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I also don't imagine Benning will be leaving the D as status quo

We HAVE to add a RHD IMO. I agree there.

If we cant land Karlsson, I like your mid scale selection Strallman. Allthough he played about as many games as Tanev last year & is several years older. He does have speed. I also would accept Myers. No not perfect. But RHD is a NEED, not a want.  Cant have Alex Biega on our top pair when guys are injured…  :frantic:

A realistic UFA plan could be Strallman & Jeff Skinner.  

I also believe who we draft at #10 may determine which position we target July 1. Draft a D, the bigger UFA dollars go to wing. Draft a forward, Myers / Karlsson becomes the heavier push.  And where you disagree, your right, I firmly believe we will be in on some bigger names.

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Dzingel

Back to Dzingel?  Or more specifically depth forwards. A different sorta UFA, but key 3rd line talent might be Brandon Tanev for Beagles line.

Not as prolific a scorer. He does seem to score timely goals? And get rostered in the play off's... :lol:  Might also be a way to get his brother to sign longer term at the end of next year. Motte Beagle Tanev would be a great match up line. Technically 4th line, but will play 3rd line approaching 2knd line minutes. 

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Benning works for Aquaman.

We were rumoured to have called Tavares. Not that he would have accepted. We were in on PK Subban. We paid Luongo 2/3rds of the franchise value of some NHL teams. Tried to get Hedman. Wrote off $25 mill plus in contracts with Gillis, AV & Torts. Signed Sundin. None of this speaks conservative.

I fully expect we will be calling Karlsson, Panarin, Duchesne. Get? Different story. But we'll be in!

We HAVE to add a RHD IMO. I agree there.

If we cant land Karlsson, I like your mid scale selection Strallman. Allthough he played about as many games as Tanev last year & is several years older. He does have speed. I also would accept Myers. No not perfect. But RHD is a NEED, not a want.  Cant have Alex Biega on our top pair when guys are injured…  :frantic:

A realistic UFA plan could be Strallman & Jeff Skinner.  

I also believe who we draft at #10 may determine which position we target July 1. Draft a D, the bigger UFA dollars go to wing. Draft a forward, Myers / Karlsson becomes the heavier push.  And where you disagree, your right, I firmly believe we will be in on some bigger names.

Oh I'm sure those sorts of moves are coming, just not so sure we're there NOW. Build the foundation, walls etc before you start adding fancy chandeliers.

But yes, I'm sure we'll kick tires (due diligence) on Karlsson, Panarin etc...don't see us in serious bidding for them though.

I think we need to add a couple RHD personally. One via trade and one via UFA/bringing back Tryamkin (if possible). Not really interested in Myers' likely 7X$7m +/- deal if there's any chance of getting Tryamin back this/next season. And yes re: Biega :lol:

I'm like 95% we're getting a F at the draft. And I'd split cash ($4-$6m range) pretty close on D and F's for UFA 's personally regardless of who we draft.

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Back to Dzingel?  Or more specifically depth forwards. A different sorta UFA, but key 3rd line talent might be Brandon Tanev for Beagles line.

Not as prolific a scorer. He does seem to score timely goals? And get rostered in the play off's... :lol:  Might also be a way to get his brother to sign longer term at the end of next year. Motte Beagle Tanev would be a great match up line. Technically 4th line, but will play 3rd line approaching 2knd line minutes. 

We have enough bottom 6 F's IMO (and guys like MacEwan, Jasek etc knocking on the door soon)...we could actually stand to loose a few for mid-late picks if possible. We don't need all of:

Leivo, Sutter, Gaudette, Virtanen, Roussel, Granlund, Eriksson, Beagle, Motte, Spooner, Schaller for our bottom 6 + 13th F. That''s ELEVEN guys.

And I'm pretty sure Chris is gone this summer or during the season. Sorry.

Edited by aGENT

I’d love to see us trade for Subban and solidify that #1 RHS Dman and sign Lee for a net front presence and winger for The top line! We should focus on some size for the wings and I’d avoid Ferlund at all costs. Capitalize on cap strapped teams and buy low while offering salary relief for them. 

Highly unlikely but if Erik Karlsson and his wife like Vancouver you have to make it happen and disregard Subban but I see that being about a 3% chance of happening. 

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And I'm pretty sure Chris is gone this summer or during the season. Sorry.

Don't be sorry. He's a trade chip in your mind, and many on CDC. Not everyone's.

Chris does not have great trade value. I always find that odd. But its there. And we don't really have the depth to move him this summer. Having moved Guddy. Plus he has at least options to control a trade, partial NTC if I'm not mistaken. Which could further limit trade value. So the odds of him being moved are not as great as keyboard GM's might prefer. 

We may not be a play off team this coming year?  But I expect to be in the hunt. And as such, I also don't see us moving him at the deadline. I'd personally like to trade him. I'm not that far off some popular opinions. If we're lucky, after we get some RHD in UFA, maybe we can get some value in a move home to Toronto for him. But I have succumbed to not expecting it, like with Hamhuis.

Add it up, and marry that he can be deployed as a 2knd pair RHD. Who might be better if we actually had a top pairing, or at least another 2knd pair D to share minutes, reduce his block shots, hits, opportunities to get injured? Reduce his role, and remains a useful player. And we retain better value re-signing him than letting him walk UFA next summer. He would be a great veteran 3rd pair RHD in 2 years when we might be competing?  My prediction remains different than yours.

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Don't be sorry. He's a trade chip in your mind, and many on CDC. Not everyone's.

Chris does not have great trade value. I always find that odd. But its there. And we don't really have the depth to move him this summer. Having moved Guddy. Plus he has at least options to control a trade, partial NTC if I'm not mistaken. Which could further limit trade value. So the odds of him being moved are not as great as keyboard GM's might prefer. 

We may not be a play off team this coming year?  But I expect to be in the hunt. And as such, I also don't see us moving him at the deadline. I'd personally like to trade him. I'm not that far off some popular opinions. If we're lucky, after we get some RHD in UFA, maybe we can get some value in a move home to Toronto for him. But I have succumbed to not expecting it, like with Hamhuis.

Add it up, and marry that he can be deployed as a 2knd pair RHD. Who might be better if we actually had a top pairing, or at least another 2knd pair D to share minutes, reduce his block shots, hits, opportunities to get injured? Reduce his role, and remains a useful player. And we retain better value re-signing him than letting him walk UFA next summer. He would be a great veteran 3rd pair RHD in 2 years when we might be competing?  My prediction remains different than yours.

Of course we'd only move him if say two of any of these other moves were already made: Sign Stralman/Tryamkin returning/trade Hutton for a righty etc). Some of which could happen this summer or during the season next year. I'm not saying it should happen tomorrow.

I don't think fans know what his trade value is and won't know until we move him. I bet it's higher than some think and less than others think in reality.

I also don't think he's re-signing nor do I think Benning will have any issue trading him, playoff hunt or not.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Chris does not have great trade value. I always find that odd. But its there.

Source? Maybe multiple sources since you always find it odd? Or is this just a personal assumption that you are building up to be fact?

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Source? Maybe multiple sources since you always find it odd? Or is this just a personal assumption that you are building up to be fact?

I always find that odd.

I = me, my opinion. That's your source. And this is an opinion board. There have been literally thousands of posts on Chris's value to compare my perception on. That's your other source. Or watch game broadcasts where commentators opinion that maybe we should move on, take a late pick for Chris. 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Why would we want PK?  Friedman makes no sense.  

Seriously?

We've needed a true top-pairing RHD for...um, 48 years? If we have the chance to get one, then why wouldn't we pursue it?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Seriously?

We've needed a true top-pairing RHD for...um, 48 years? If we have the chance to get one, then why wouldn't we pursue it?

Is PK really that guy though?  I don’t see him in that way.  He’s fun to watch, and exciting, but I don’t see PK as a guy a team can rely on to be “The Guy”.  

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I saw that Elliott Friedman also believes the canucks will be making a push for subban.

This would make sense as I believe JB tried to acquire him once before.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is PK really that guy though?  I don’t see him in that way.  He’s fun to watch, and exciting, but I don’t see PK as a guy a team can rely on to be “The Guy”.  

pk-subban-norris-319x480.jpg

You don't win a Norris if you're not clearly "the guy". We've never had a D-man even be a finalist for the Norris before. PK had a rough season this year, partially due to injury, but the previous year (2017-18) he was 3rd in Norris voting.

And he was an NHL 1st team all-star twice, and a 2nd team all-star in 2017-18. We've never had a D-man ever make those either.

PK would instantly become the greatest defenseman we've ever had, and it's not even close.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

You don't win a Norris if you're not clearly "the guy". We've never had a D-man even be a finalist for the Norris before. PK had a rough season this year, partially due to injury, but the previous year (2017-18) he was 3rd in Norris voting.

And he was an NHL 1st team all-star twice, and a 2nd team all-star in 2017-18. We've never had a D-man ever make those either.

PK would instantly become the greatest defenseman we've ever had, and it's not even close.

I think Quinn Hughes will be our guy.  I don’t think the cost of getting PK would be worth the impact he would have.  Great D men, who are in their prime and have contracts in place, don’t get traded twice, unless there are underlying issues fans are not privy to.  I would rather sign Meyers as a UFA, that give up the assets needed to trade for PK. 

13 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I always find that odd.

I = me, my opinion. That's your source. And this is an opinion board. There have been literally thousands of posts on Chris's value to compare my perception on. That's your other source. Or watch game broadcasts where commentators opinion that maybe we should move on, take a late pick for Chris. 

Ahhh you just didn't know any better. That is perfectly fine. Next time maybe say "I feel that Chris does not have great trade value". 

For instance if I said "the moon is made out of cheese" you would think I was a liar or just plain stupid. However if I said "I feel that the moon is made out of cheese" I wouldn't be lying, I'd just simply have no clue what I was talking about. 

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Quinn Hughes will be our guy.  I don’t think the cost of getting PK would be worth the impact he would have.  Great D men, who are in their prime and have contracts in place, don’t get traded twice, unless there are underlying issues fans are not privy to.  I would rather sign Meyers as a UFA, that give up the assets needed to trade for PK. 

Quinn might be "a" guy. But having more than one top-pairing defenseman should be the end goal. And we have nobody AT ALL within the organization who projects to be a top-pairing RHD.

The first time PK got traded, it was for a different top-pairing, perennial Norris finalist, in Shea Weber. Weber happened to be good friends with their franchise goalie, who they wanted to lock down to a long-term contract. And now with another expansion draft looming, Nashville needs to move one of their top-4. PK is slightly older than the other 3, carries the largest cap hit, and the young stud coming in (Fabbro) is also a RHD - so moving him makes the most sense for them. It's nothing to do with a character problem.

Myers is not a quality top pairing RHD. He might not even be a quality 2nd pairing RHD at this point. I'd rather save the cap and just give Rafferty or a cheaper UFA a chance, it won't be much of a difference IMO. But Subban would make a HUGE impact.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This.

The question simply becomes does the acquisition cost make sense to us and correspondingly do we have assets we can (and want to) move that they would want for him. I struggle to see a trade fit personally but if Benning can somehow manage it without giving up key youth or 1st rounders, I'm all aboard the PK train.

Perhaps that's taking some cap back but I'd want little to do with Turris' $6x5 remaining. We could probably absorb Bonino's $4.1x2 comfortably but we don't really need Bonino's skill set and he certainly wouldn't do much for our team speed (and both would add to our glut of middle 6, middling forwards).

Beyond that, they need top 6 F's and the only ones we could probably spare would be Baer or Goldobin (and the latter is a stretch to call a top 6 player, the former can't seem to play more than 60-something games and has concussion issues. Not sure they move the needle for Nashville.