The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Botchford Passes Away

Rate this topic

Provost

#Botchies  botched as imperfect, like us, like our team, like predictions on cdc.  Words said and understood about the Canucks, about Canuck fans, ownership, players, management.  Opinionated sure, but most importantly, said and appreciated.  We are all Canucks and we appreciate what you said, #ripBotch   

I think the tributes coming in from other teams and players speak volumes to his character.  I know that when anyone passes, generally most speak more kindly of them than they might have while the person was alive, but to see other teams expressing condolences is perhaps a bit unusual. Many of the comments from players are with regard to how kind he was.  I try to keep in mind that my opinion of him was formed only by what I saw which was truly only a small part of who he was.  To that end, I liked what I saw.  I think Deb made a comment earlier about perhaps being too harsh sometimes, I think we all fall into that trap.  Also, I'm blown away by the professionalism of the other staff at the TSN group and his friends who knew he had passed on the weekend and respected the families wishes not to say anything until yesterday.  How hard it must have been to come in to work on air and carry on outwardly as though nothing was wrong while knowing that your colleague was never coming back into the studio.  

• Like 1

He wasn't very popular amongst alot of Canuck fans, but he was respected amongst his peers and he covered our team!

Whether I liked everything he wrote or not, this is really sad news.

Especially at his age, yikes! 

More than halfway to being retired and enjoying his family and life, and its taken away unexpected.

Sorry Botchford family, deserved better.

Huge blow to sports journalism, and an even bigger loss to his family and friends.

He was an electric and engaging writer, passionate & unapologetic. Reading his articles and (occasionally) listening to his broadcasts, I never once felt the man was anything but genuine.

Hope you had a good trip Botch, and thanks for the ride. It's been a slice.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tank Swank said:

The Botchford family has started a GoFundMe if anyone wants to contribute to help support his wife and 3 kids:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/supporting-the-botchford-family

I heard on the radio about an hour ago that the family is going to set one up, but hasn't yet.  This doesn't appear to be "it"...seems there are some being set up, just not by the family.  The giveaway for me is the fact that the name is spelled incorrectly.

I'm going to wait for the official one to make sure....

With the sudden passing of Jason Botchford, our hearts are aching for the Bothford family.  

Remembering Jason Botchford

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I heard on the radio about an hour ago that the family is going to set one up, but hasn't yet.  This doesn't appear to be "it"...seems there are some being set up, just not by the family.  The giveaway for me is the fact that the name is spelled incorrectly.

I'm going to wait for the official one to make sure....

It's the one the official TSN Radio Vancouver Twitter sent out and was retweeted by Sekeres.....

• Upvote 1