The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Botchford Passes Away

Rate this topic

Provost

7 hours ago, kilgore said:

Passion, humour, and unrelenting commitment to helping the Canucks to win a Cup.  He was, as I heard Paterson say, not a Canucks (management) fan, but more of a Canucks fan fan. Which is why it has always been bizarre to me to read so many here, supposedly made up of fans, that didn’t get him.

He constantly was watching and thinking and coming up with ideas, and critiques about what he thought they were not doing they could be. And he traveled with the team, he wasn’t just speaking out of his a**, no matter how  much of a smart a** he seemed.  And he laid it out tempered with wit and humour.  He didn’t care about the niceties or being polite, maybe that was the problem for some. I don’t know. I loved that he didn’t lay off on standing up for his opinions in an argument even against long time broadcasters like Pratt, whom he put in his place better than any other guest host on that show.

Of all the sports personalities in this town he was the one that will be missed the most by myself. As someone said, I also think he was misinterpreted as being “negative”.  That was the last word I thought of with him. Critical, cynical, honest to a fault is what I think of. Finding a new angle to a story that no one had thought of. And willing to argue his point and not back down.

His passion to one day watch the Canucks win a Cup was his driving force. That, as a fan, coincided with my wishes better than with any other reporter.  I loved his sticking up for Alex Burrows before anyone else did during the Auger incident. He had the balls to do things like that.

And to also hear this morning how he went out of his way to help so many young sports journalists, including Halford and Brough was great to hear, and revealed the kind of character he had behind the voice. He was the fans voice. He spoke (or yelled) what I wanted to yell about the team.

RIP Botch

Great post.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Man.  I think maybe because I lost a friend 2 weeks ago and a co-worker days ago, this hit news me pretty hard today.  The way this man could broke games and situations down.. I know a lot of people on CDC disagreed with him for to me he's been the only must read writer to ever cover the team.  

A lot of respect showed today, both from his peers and from everyone that's posted in here.  
b1.JPG.8df3219565de362e6f82efce2b9c899e.JPGb2.JPG.ca5a2e710ded0811a119f54455f24856.JPGb4.JPG.2e6c772b703e42c269c8ba08c4dcc89e.JPGb6.JPG.2b37ed450dd427b562c569b7987d63e6.JPG

Goodbye Botch, RIP.  

jase-waves_0977-copy-e1556729756443.jpg.c3bce97b4acf5e3d8390032b3179762b.jpg

b3.JPG

wow nice message from Petey. 

My dad's business partner died at nearly the same age with a young family too, I really feel for the kids, its going to be tough. 

• Upvote 2

Just heard this today and it put me in a state of shock.  Never met him and didn’t always agree with his takes but loved that he pushed the envelope.  So sad to hear and especially with the family he leaves behind.  He brought something special to the Canucks and it sounds like to those who knew him too.  Very sad day.

7 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Canuck fans had been spoiled to have a guy like Botchford covering the team for all these years. His passion for the team/city will be missed he was the voice of the fans in the media. 

if you listen to other radio stations in Calgary and Edmonton for example, they dont have a guy like him. He was unique, funny, and in touch with the fans. 

His Provies/Athletties was must read every Canuck post game, i know he was very excited about the future of the Canucks and it sucks that he wont get a chance to see the team be great again. We're going to feel his loss in this offseason and long summer days :(

So true. I liked reading his take on the Canucks. I felt like he was the middle ground, had the fans take and the teams take.

• Upvote 1

Every article he wrote was worth talking about. And that's because I disagreed with him like 90% of the time.

The other 10% he actually gave enough of an argument to sway me, and that's why I'll miss his bits. He challenged me at times and for that he earned my respect.

I legit hated most of his articles, but I respected the guy enough to read them and inevitably talk / post about them.

I guess hindsight is 20/20. RIP Botch, I'll miss your trash.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I have never been a fan of Botch. Always thought he was very TMZ and thrived on dysfunction and poor Canuck performances. 

His passing is a stark reminder that hockey means $&!# compared to the rest of life. My thoughts are with his family. Very hard news even for those of us who were not fans.

Rest in peace Jason. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Late to respond, but I was shocked to hear the news, too young and I feel for his family. Especially the kids, I lost my first wife at 35, my kids were only 9 and 10. My prayers and thoughts for his wife, tough times ahead. 

I really didn’t read his work and won’t comment on it other than it was his life achievement and should be respected. 

May your strength be each other’s support Botchford family.

• Like 1

Awful news for the hockey community and heartbreaking for his friends and family who love him the most. 48 is WAY too young!

I try to live my life to its fullest everyday.

Have no fear, embrace change and chase your dreams because life is very short. Far too short to be wasting even a precious second. 

Smile more

Love more

Try new things more

One day you can be king of the world and the next day gone....

RIP Mr Botchford, I did not know you but my heart is still saddened by your passing

• Upvote 3

Nice to see some love to Botch from Canucks army etc. He was a polarizing figure, but the truth is rarely black and white and nice to see people bring up his contributions to peers and the community. 

• Upvote 1