Sign in to follow this  
Bure_Pavel

[Proposal] Free Agent Wingers to Target

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The three forward targets I would go after in free agency are:

 

Brett Connolly

 

Joonas Donskoi

 

Marcus Johansson (my favourite of the three)

 

All three are on the younger side of UFA's middle of the pack free agents, who had good production with limited minutes. I would try and lock up one of them up for 3-4 years at around 4 per season.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

of those 3, Johansson but I don't know that he's enough of an upgrade on Baer to do the necessary free agent overpayment. 

 

In this free agency I'd like Jim to go big or do nothing. Panarin or bust on wingers imo. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Master Higgins said:

Dzingle may be a good buy low candidate on a short term deal. 

I think Dzingle is getting paid, based on his trade value this trade deadline.

 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

of those 3, Johansson but I don't know that he's enough of an upgrade on Baer to do the necessary free agent overpayment. 

 

In this free agency I'd like Jim to go big or do nothing. Panarin or bust on wingers imo. 

Johansson can play all three forward positions, which for me is huge for me. Especially when the injury bug comes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think Dzingle is getting paid, based on his trade value this trade deadline.

 

Johansson can play all three forward positions, which for me is huge for me. Especially when the injury bug comes.

thats true, but we do already have guys that can move around the lineup that way as needed. 

 

I guess the question is, is the likely 5 1/2 to 6 mil payday really worth it, compared to what you'll get out of Baer or Pearson e.g.? yes he might produce a little more, say even 10 -15 points more if he's with Petey, but is that worth the cap effects? I'm not sold. 

 

Panarin on the other hand is a game-changer type player that has a chance of making the other inevitable cap sacrifices worth it. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't these guys all high-end 3rd line guys (Brett did put up 45 points this season but is it an anomaly or a true breakout)?  We're pretty good with regards to that IMO, would like to see what we can make of Roussel/ Leivo/ Jake/ Goldie (if he gets another shot at it) in their roles.  These two do have size and energy which I would agree would be invaluable for that line.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We still have Spooner, Pearson, Baerschi, Leivo, Erikson? 

 

I would pass on wingers. 

Go Dfense

 

With our forwards we are better off combing the waiver wire during the season. Maybe make a move around nov or feb.

 

Need to see if Pearson sticks for real or has a slow start.  If Baer can recover and perform and if Spooner can be useful. 

Will some punk make it out of camp? Will Virt get 20?

 

Free Agent Dmen. Sign them all we can. Best pieces to dangle at bubble teams cheap for 4ths and 3rds

 

Losing edler and tanev is why we missed the playoffs

Edited by HughMungus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

-Nylander Or Kaspanen up front (via our 10th OA pick)

-Stralman on defense.

No Nylander

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

-Nylander Or Kaspanen up front (via our 10th OA pick)

:sadno:

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

27 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

No Nylander

No nylander??? For how horrible of a year he had starting in the mid season with no training camp and put up at a 41 point pace on the third line. Plus with the leafs salary situation just an albatross he won’t cost as much as people think

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bure1010 said:

 

No nylander??? For how horrible of a year he had starting in the mid season with no training camp and put up at a 41 point pace on the third line. Plus with the leafs salary situation just an albatross he won’t cost as much as people think

We don't need that attitude in our locker room, players that sit out are a cancer and frankly he's not worth his salary TO can have him

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

 

No nylander??? For how horrible of a year he had starting in the mid season with no training camp and put up at a 41 point pace on the third line. Plus with the leafs salary situation just an albatross he won’t cost as much as people think

I think Nylander is a better player than he is getting credit for.  He actually has a pretty reasonable contract for what kind of player he is.  Had a bad year after missing camp and half a season.

I don't think he is a player I would give really significant assets up for and not sure we are a great match for Leafs.   They aren't going to want Tanev back if trading him, they can get better a better, younger D man for him than Tanev.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

We don't need that attitude in our locker room, players that sit out are a cancer and frankly he's not worth his salary TO can have him

Didn’t know u hung out in the leafs locker room. But if that’s the case between Edler (assuming he’s resigned) petey and marky as his countrymen and captain bo would probably get him straight. And players hold out because they feel the team isn’t giving them what they are worth it’s not all on the player if he’s overpayed the team shouldn’t have offered it. 

 

Loui Eriksons contract isn’t his fault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think Nylander is a better player than he is getting credit for.  He actually has a pretty reasonable contract for what kind of player he is.  Had a bad year after missing camp and half a season.

I don't think he is a player I would give really significant assets up for and not sure we are a great match for Leafs.   They aren't going to want Tanev back if trading him, they can get better a better, younger D man for him than Tanev.

Tanev is exactly who the Leafs would want.  A healthy Tanev is still a great shut down D man.  The Leafs need a shut down center too. I’d think Tanev plus Sutter gets it done.  We would have to take a cap dump too though.  That would be Zaitsev and maybe Marleau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Tanev is exactly who the Leafs would want.  A healthy Tanev is still a great shut down D man.  The Leafs need a shut down center too. I’d think Tanev plus Sutter gets it done.  We would have to take a cap dump too though.  That would be Zaitsev and maybe Marleau.

And the following week the Leafs are looking for a new GM.  A healthy Tanev is the key there, don't remember what that looks like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrJockitch said:

And the following week the Leafs are looking for a new GM.  A healthy Tanev is the key there, don't remember what that looks like.

Tanev would be a much healthier player on a team with better puck possession.  Clearly trading their first Muzzin didn’t help.  What was Muzxin’s plus minus in the playoffs?  Tanev is way better than Muzzin, because Tanev is smarter.  Leafs need a true Shut down center.  They had Kadri try, but he failed.  So they put Tavares in that role, which killed his offence.  Sutter would free up Tavares to play strictly offence.  

If the Leafs don’t add a top notch Defensive D man and Defensive Center, then their President and GM are done.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Panarin - 2 years/$33.2M

 

He can run up back to back 50 goal seasons playing with EP40 and then cash in again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For wingers I would have to say we need not swing for the fences and get in trouble again. With this said my UFA List would be:

Anders Lee and perhaps Ryan Dzingel as LW targets.

The only RW if we are looking to interest me is Brandon Tanev.

If we could possibly get 1 or 2 at say 4 x 6m or under I would consider it a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bure1010 said:

Didn’t know u hung out in the leafs locker room. But if that’s the case between Edler (assuming he’s resigned) petey and marky as his countrymen and captain bo would probably get him straight. And players hold out because they feel the team isn’t giving them what they are worth it’s not all on the player if he’s overpayed the team shouldn’t have offered it. 

 

Loui Eriksons contract isn’t his fault

Not interested in Nylander, I think we should let Edler walk as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.