The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

Last 3 years:

Eriksson 29, 23. 24 points.

Lucic 20, 34, 50

Eriksson is older and doesn’t bring more offence.  He doesn’t bring a toughness we need more of.

You are betting that last year was a low for Lucic and that he can get a few more points in a new situation.

it would be nice to make a bigger deal that also gets us their 1st

It’s an easy desk if both players agree to switch teams.  Loui for Milan.  I hope, if that was offered, JB would go that.  

• Cheers 1

Just the thought of him in a Canuck's uniform makes me ill.  Even when he was a good player(never a good human being) I didn't want him. Now that he's just washed up liability saddled with a stupid contract.   

Edited by mj vic
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Louie is one of our best penalty killers and he had more points than Lucic did last year. 

So we keep him at $6 million for 3 more years just to kill penalties?  He's taking up a roster spot.  If he's just a penalty killer then he's on the bottom 2 lines.  So he's going to be taking a spot away from Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Roussel or MacEwen.  There is no room for him.  At least with Lucic you stick him with Petey and Brock and see what happens.  Who knows maybe he can go see BO's skating coach in the summer to get some of his footspeed back.

• Upvote 3

Lucic would have been 14th on this team in goal scoring this past season.

That extra year of cap waste on a player like Lucic is very significant, particularly at that stage.....what is the incentive to eat that? 

He's too slow to play with EP/Boeser

Too slow, declining rapidly, and lacking the versatility to take Pearson's spot on Horvat's line.

To vacant, slow an inefective to play a shutdown role with either Sutter or Beagle - and nowhere near as effecitve defensively as Roussel, Motte - or Eriksson.

Where is the fit? 

What is the point?  To have a misfit bottom 6 forward that can punch faces? 

The team needs toughness that can play / be effective....Not a 6 million dollar 6 goal scorer,

At least Eriksson can kill penalties, play matchup, more around the lineup, pitch in a bit of secondary scoring while doing so.

I don't see the point or incentive of doing Edmonton that favour - at all.

If Edmonton wanted to unload that - a hockey trade for Eriksson is not gonna cut it imo - not even close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So we keep him at $6 million for 3 more years just to kill penalties?  He's taking up a roster spot.  If he's just a penalty killer then he's on the bottom 2 lines.  So he's going to be taking a spot away from Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Roussel or MacEwen.  There is no room for him.  At least with Lucic you stick him with Petey and Brock and see what happens.  Who knows maybe he can go see BO's skating coach in the summer to get some of his footspeed back.

We traded away Guddy, so maybe we need Lucic as our nuclear deterrent?  Really Loui does nothing unique.  At least Milan can bop with the big boys. 

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

Last 3 years:

Eriksson 29, 23. 24 points.

Lucic 20, 34, 50

Eriksson is older and doesn’t bring more offence.  He doesn’t bring a toughness we need more of.

You are betting that last year was a low for Lucic and that he can get a few more points in a new situation.

it would be nice to make a bigger deal that also gets us their 1st

Lucic+Puljujarvi+1st

for

Sutter(30%retained)+Hutton+Goldy

Makes Edmonton better immediately which they need for their fanbase and gives the Canucks some pieces that can help in the future.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Lucic would have been 14th on this team in goal scoring this past season.

That extra year of cap waste on a player like Lucic is very significant, particularly at that stage.....what is the incentive to eat that? 

He's too slow to play with EP/Boeser

Too slow, declining rapidly, and lacking the versatility to take Pearson's spot on Horvat's line.

To vacant, slow an inefective to play a shutdown role with either Sutter or Beagle - and nowhere near as effecitve defensively as Roussel, Motte - or Eriksson.

Where is the fit? 

What is the point?  To have a misfit bottom 6 forward that can punch faces? 

The team needs toughness that can play / be effective....Not a 6 million dollar 6 goal scorer,

At least Eriksson can kill penalties, play matchup, more around the lineup, pitch in a bit of secondary scoring while doing so.

I don't see the point or incentive of doing Edmonton that favour - at all.

If Edmonton wanted to unload that - a hockey trade for Eriksson is not gonna cut it imo - not even close.

Good points, however Eriksson is taking up a spot as well.  With him in the lineup MacEwen probably sits, or even Motte.  The play with Edmonton is to get a draft pick, move up to the 8th spot from 10th, or get Pool Party as part of the deal.  Obviously a straight up Lucic for Eriksson trade serves no purpose for us.  But if Benning can get creative and add to the deal to make up for the extra year on Lucic's contract then I wouldn't be opposed to it.  

Reaves was effective in the playoffs.  I'm not so sure that Lucic is that much slower than him...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We traded away Guddy, so maybe we need Lucic as our nuclear deterrent?  Really Loui does nothing unique.  At least Milan can bop with the big boys. 

Agreed.  At this point Loui is a $6 million penalty killer who's taking a spot away from a young guy.  At least Lucic adds the truculence we need.  Like I said earlier if he can go to BO's skating coach for the summer maybe he can get back to where he was a couple years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

hard pass. Lucic's NMC, even after trade, would count against us in the Seattle draft. So hard no. 

If he waives that NMC in the process of being dealt, the team acquiring him and the player can come to an agreement regarding whether that clause remains in place or is extinguished - at least that's how I understand it - so there's the possibility/probability that it would not survive (what team would eat that heading into an expansion draft without a heavy price in return for doing so).

There's no way this team would agree to honouring it - but still, even without the NMC, it doesn't make sense.

There's also the possibility LE retires in a year or two...so I think the relative risks weigh heavily against wasting much time thinking about entertaining a Lucic deal.