The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you're correct mil, there's just not going to be a return for the Oil here. 

IF,  and its a big IF, there was a sensible reason to swap Loui for Lucic, would you expect some assets to come with Lucic? or would you be fine on the 1:1. 

If there is no way to move Eriksson I would simply buy him out.  I understand there is no cap saving but the team has to move forward and that's just shifting the issue.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

If there is no way to move Eriksson I would simply buy him out.  I understand there is no cap saving but the team has to move forward and that's just shifting the issue.  

I think I disagree a bit there, I don't see any 'have to' in the situation. He's not a bad person the room by any accounts and still a serviceable player. I don't know that overpaid makes you someone that must be moved at all costs. 

44 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think I disagree a bit there, I don't see any 'have to' in the situation. He's not a bad person the room by any accounts and still a serviceable player. I don't know that overpaid makes you someone that must be moved at all costs. 

It's not about him being a bad person but the team just being caught in limbo - it's not only about Eriksson.  They need to make decisions and move this thing forward.

Boeser's contract is going to give an idea of the window and what to expect for future salary demands.  There might not be all that much time to build a contender.  You have to build a team - not just a bunch of guys who play hockey together.  Murray says he has a lot of good players but he does not have a good team.  Coyle just took an indirect shot at Minnesota by saying what impressed him the most in Boston is their leadership - Minnesota never built a team.

The veterans have to be secure enough in their roles to help the younger players progress.  Eriksson wants to play in an offensive role and feels he is misused by Green.  It's not an ideal situation.  It's really not just about that but also roster construction.

The Canucks are a patchwork with so many different style of play where it's difficult to create lines that fit - probably why Green is always putting everything in the blender.  They need to decide what kind of team they are and adjust the roster accordingly.  I am not convinced Eriksson fits with how Green ultimately wants to play.  He's not the only one.  At one point you have to start to shape the roster into the kind of team you want.  You can't continuously delay because players get closer to UFA status and there's the salary cap.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, mll said:

It's not about him being a bad person but the team just being caught in limbo - it's not only about Eriksson.  They need to make decisions and move this thing forward.

Boeser's contract is going to give an idea of the window and what to expect for future salary demands.  There might not be all that much time to build a contender.  You have to build a team - not just a bunch of guys who play hockey together.  Murray says he has a lot of good players but he does not have a good team.  Coyle just took an indirect shot at Minnesota by saying what impressed him the most in Boston is their leadership - Minnesota never built a team.

The veterans have to be secure enough in their roles to help the younger players progress.  Eriksson wants to play in an offensive role and feels he is misused by Green.  It's not an ideal situation.  It's really not just about that but also roster construction.

The Canucks are a patchwork with so many different style of play where it's difficult to create lines that fit - probably why Green is always putting everything in the blender.  They need to decide what kind of team they are and adjust the roster accordingly.  I am not convinced Eriksson fits with how Green ultimately wants to play.  He's not the only one.  At one point you have to start to shape the roster into the kind of team you want.  You can't continuously delay because players get closer to UFA status and there's the salary cap.

all fair points, mil. 

Sounds like Bob Mckenzie thinks there will be movement on Loui:

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

all fair points, mil. 

Sounds like Bob Mckenzie thinks there will be movement on Loui:

Not surprised at all. As I've said before, I had trouble seeing LE back here BEFORE his comments at the Worlds to Swedish media.

Then again, pretty sure he already knew that after his exit interview which is likely partially what led to said comments in the first place. Pretty sure that one way or another, LE knew he wasn't wearing a Canucks sweater this fall already.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not surprised at all. As I've said before, I had trouble seeing LE back here BEFORE his comments at the Worlds to Swedish media.

Then again, pretty sure he already knew that after his exit interview which is likely partially what led to said comments in the first place. Pretty sure that one way or another, LE knew he wasn't wearing a Canucks sweater this fall already.

I hope Jim can turn this into more than just dead cap space, but I also hear what mil is saying above. 

Is it still OK for me to blame this all on Willie D? 

• Haha 1

Jason Gregor in Edmonton said that Lucic problem this past year was more handling the puck like a grenade than being a total slug. And in the games I saw him he didnt stand out as being behind the play really.

And Loui's legs are starting to go now, hes really slowed down alot too.

Gregor said Jim Benning has discussed it internally. And I think he should. Its an opportunity to get an asset(s) from the Oil & address a need.

The big problem is the expansion draft. If Lucic agrees to ditch his NMC upon coming here I'd be interested depending on what we get. Id say swap #8 & #10 plus something else. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Jason Gregor in Edmonton said that Lucic problem this past year was more handling the puck like a grenade than being a total slug. And in the games I saw him he didnt stand out as being behind the play really.

Gregor said Jim Benning has discussed it internally. And I think he should. Its an opportunity to get an asset(s) from the Oil & address a need.

The big problem is the expansion draft. If Lucic agrees to ditch his NMC upon coming here I'd be interested depending on what we get. Id say swap #8 & #10 plus something else. 

So Lucic's hands are declining as or more rapidly than his legs?

Sounds good to me!

Perhaps that explains the 6 goals he scored.

Anyhow, sarcasm aside, let's not outsmart ourselves here.  The idea that 'the problem' wasn't being a slug, but losing his hand-eye/upside... is not really reassuring.

I'm not strictly against fleecing them and moving Eriksson in the process, but otherwise, if the payoff isn't significant enough (and imo moving up 2 spots is nowhere near enough incentive), trading BC Ferries for the Titanic....maybe there's a better solution out there?

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

$6m, buyout proof, 4th liner who's too slow for today's game and costs EDM an ED protection spot.

If that's not a negative asset...

I actually love this line of thinking... It's not always about what we can do for our team but how sweet it is to see a division rival anchored. 

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Rather keep 10th and gain another asset. There's pretty minimal value difference between the 8 and 10 picks.

I'm in no hurry to see us do EDM a favour, certainly not for peanuts.

Edited by aGENT

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I also believe the skating is blown out of proportion. He's not the fastest guy, but that's never been his game.

My concerns are more about his character. He's said and done some cringe-worthy things. Also he's got the extra year on his deal, plus Edmonton would be removing his NMC. It's a non-starter if he keeps his NMC unless they are giving us McDavid or Draisaitl with 50% retention. And even though LE would balance out the cap for the meantime, most of his salary will be paid out after July 1st and will be much more moveable with a lesser sweetener added. While LE is getting older, his skating looked fine in the World Championships. He just seems less motivated here.

These factors suggest to me that they would have to give up quite a bit in return even if LE is headed back the other way. Swapping 8 and 10 means nothing really, but swapping their 8 for our 40 is more reasonable. Even then I think I'd prefer more to be added simply because of what they will be gaining by moving Lucic.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

These factors suggest to me that they would have to give up quite a bit in return even if LE is headed back the other way. Swapping 8 and 10 means nothing really, but swapping their 8 for our 40 is more reasonable. Even then I think I'd prefer more to be added simply because of what they will be gaining by moving Lucic.

I'd doubt Holland would do it but something around Eriksson and our 2nd for Lucic and their first +/- starts to look at least palatable from our end.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd doubt Holland would do it but something around Eriksson and our 2nd for Lucic and their first +/- starts to look at least palatable from our end.

Doesn't matter if Holland wants to do it or not. Lucic has control on where he wants to go and that means finding a trading partner willing to take him on as well. If they want to free up an expansion spot plus offload his contract, it's going to come at a heavy price no matter what. The ball is not at all in their court here, so they need to make a decision if it's worth what needs to be given up to make the deal or they deal with the anchor on their own. If I was running Edmonton, I would try to find a situation to help Lucic unless they've burned that bridge already, which only makes it worse for them if that's the case.

• Upvote 2

Just now, theo5789 said:

Doesn't matter if Holland wants to do it or not. Lucic has control on where he wants to go and that means finding a trading partner willing to take him on as well. If they want to free up an expansion spot plus offload his contract, it's going to come at a heavy price no matter what. The ball is not at all in their court here, so they need to make a decision if it's worth what needs to be given up to make the deal or they deal with the anchor on their own. If I was running Edmonton, I would try to find a situation to help Lucic unless they've burned that bridge already, which only makes it worse for them if that's the case.

No argument from me on any of it, in fact I've basically stated the same ::D

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Most have missed it. Link to clarify what the comments were?

Just now, aGENT said:

Pretty much lol. I barely follow hockey anymore after all these rule changes. I come on CDC almost solely out of habit. Thanks for the clarification though.