The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

58 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Clearly you did not read my post. I didn't say he couldn't fight or wasn't a good fighter anymore; I said he doesn't do it as much as he used to. That fight is impressive but he was given 2 fighting majors this year, that was one of them. If you think paying 6Mil for that is a good idea, fine. But I think his lack of foot speed and being a defensive liability is not worth the price tag, Eriksson is better and more useful.

I love fighting in NHL and wish it happened more too, but in this NHL where nobody is fighting anymore anywhere, I think it's important that guys like these pick their battles. I don't want to pay him $6M, but I think we are all thinking is he more beneficial than Eriksson.

In my opinion, he is. Yes Eriksson is great defensively, but I think these players are easier to come by than a tough guy that can still get points. The question is, can Lucic get points? We all know he would be a physical presence. He hits, he can fight if he needs to, and most importantly he can intimidate.

Can. He. Get. Points.

No more spots on this team for players that can't.

One thing to remember is almost every single player that has been traded away from Edmonton has increased their points. I'd also like to point out that players who leave Boston tend to decrease theirs.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I love fighting in NHL and wish it happened more too, but in this NHL where nobody is fighting anymore anywhere, I think it's important that guys like these pick their battles. I don't want to pay him $6M, but I think we are all thinking is he more beneficial than Eriksson.

In my opinion, he is. Yes Eriksson is great defensively, but I think these players are easier to come by than a tough guy that can still get points. The question is, can Lucic get points? We all know he would be a physical presence. He hits, he can fight if he needs to, and most importantly he can intimidate.

Can. He. Get. Points.

No more spots on this team for players that can't.

Honestly even that is in question. He used to be a good scorer but last year Lucic had 6G 14A for a dismal 20points. LE had 11G 18A for 29points. Neither are great for what they get paid but given LE has 1 year less on his contract and only a NTC then a M-NTC I think he is a better option than Lucic. There isn't room for both LE and Lucic.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So we keep him at $6 million for 3 more years just to kill penalties?  He's taking up a roster spot.  If he's just a penalty killer then he's on the bottom 2 lines.  So he's going to be taking a spot away from Virtanen, Leivo, Motte, Roussel or MacEwen.  There is no room for him.  At least with Lucic you stick him with Petey and Brock and see what happens.  Who knows maybe he can go see BO's skating coach in the summer to get some of his footspeed back.

Except Lucic isn't a top six player anymore, either.

• Upvote 1

I've been saying this for a while now.  We are a rebuilding team with cap space, why not take advantage of that space and recoup some future assets with it.  I would love to see Puljujarvi as part of our future top 6 going forward I also like the idea of adding some size to this roster to protect idiots like Matheson take cheap shots at are guys.  Yes he is overpaid by about 3 million, but he's still an effective bottom 6 forward that can mix it up and give you a net front presence on the PP.  We need more players like that.  

Why not swing for the fences,  take on Lucic and Mannings contracts (8.25 in cap) if they add in Puljujarvi and their 8th overall in exchange for Sutter and Granlund and our 2nd and maybe 6th round pick round pick....As long as Lucic is willing to eliminate his NMC (Expansion purposes)

Here's the logic behind it, 
Oilers need cap space and this deal opens up around 4.25 million for them.  They also aren't going to be able to move lucic and his cap out without greatly sweetening the pot. 

Oilers need a shutdown 3rd line that take on the defensive responsibilities, Sutter and Granlund fill that needed whole for them.

Canucks need size and young assets, but we also have available cap space.

Sutter and a 6th seem about equal value for 4 more years of declining Lucic at full cap and their 8th overall 

Granny + our 2nd round pick for a not longer waiver exempt Puljujarvi and another cap dump in Manning also seem similar value. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 4

I wanted him on the Canucks for so long. He would have been that missing element we were craving for during the Sedin era. But now with where he's at in his career I don't think I can get behind a trade for him. I'd much rather Eriksson. Eriksson is slow but not Lucic slow. If Lucic was making 4th line money then I'd be all over that but he's got term and a NMC which means expansion protection - no go for me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Last 3 years:

Eriksson 29, 23. 24 points.

Lucic 20, 34, 50

Eriksson is older and doesn’t bring more offence.  He doesn’t bring a toughness we need more of.

You are betting that last year was a low for Lucic and that he can get a few more points in a new situation.

it would be nice to make a bigger deal that also gets us their 1st

No no no......you spin doctor!.....let's show the stats as they really are

Lucic

• 2016-17 82 games 23-27-50 -3
  • 2017-18 82 games 10-24-34 -12
  • 2018-19 79 games 6-14-20 -9.............seeing a trend here?

Eriksson

• 2016-17 65 games 11-13-24 -9
  • 2017-18 50 games 10-13-23 0
  • 2018-19 81 games 11-18-29 -11

The thing is that Lucic is clearly trending down and LE is steady.  Luc is more durable but I would take Loui on the PK and in a defensive role.  The problem with LE is obviously his contract.  There is no value there but at least he has his uses

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I've been saying this for a while now.  We are a rebuilding team with cap space, why not take advantage of that space and recoup some future assets with it.  I would love to see Puljujarvi as part of our future top 6 going forward I also like the idea of adding some size to this roster to protect idiots like Matheson take cheap shots at are guys.  Yes he is overpaid by about 3 million, but he's still an effective bottom 6 forward that can mix it up and give you a net front presence on the PP.  We need more players like that.  

Why not swing for the fences,  take on Lucic and Mannings contracts (8.25 in cap) if they add in Puljujarvi and their 8th overall in exchange for Sutter and Granlund and our 2nd and maybe 6th round pick round pick....As long as Lucic is willing to eliminate his NMC (Expansion purposes)

Here's the logic behind it, 
Oilers need cap space and this deal opens up around 4.25 million for them.  They also aren't going to be able to move lucic and his cap out without greatly sweetening the pot. 

Oilers need a shutdown 3rd line that take on the defensive responsibilities, Sutter and Granlund fill that needed whole for them.

Canucks need size and young assets, but we also have available cap space.

Sutter and a 6th seem about equal value for 4 more years of declining Lucic at full cap and their 8th overall 

Granny + our 2nd round pick for a not longer waiver exempt Puljujarvi and another cap dump in Manning also seem similar value. 

That’s a whole lot for the Oilers just for us to take on Lucic’s and Manning’s contract. Sutter’s value is worth very little at the moment. 3 major surgeries within 4 years and is often injured. Granlund is also worth next to nothing, known he’s a RFA, we either qualify him or let him walk to free agency and its most likely the latter. So, they can just grab him off free agency.

Last resort for them, they can just buyout Lucic and save up 2.5M in cap space. 

Edited by shiznak

23 minutes ago, teepain said:

He had his chance to come here, but chose our rivals. He can go to hell now

now he wants to come here when his team is $&!#ting the bed haha

Not really, Edmonton offered millions more then any other team would...  oh and term.  

It shows what happens when you feel pressured to get a free agent over the summer.   Anyways, Lucic chose the team that wanted him the most (by far). 

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

That’s a whole lot for the Oilers just to take on Lucic’s and Manning’s contract. Sutter’s value is practically worth very little at the moment. 3 major surgeries within 4 years and is often injured. Granlund is also worth next to nothing, known he’s a RFA, we either qualify him or let him walk to free agency and its most likely the latter. So, they can just grab him off free agency.

Last resort, they can just buyout Lucic and save up to 2.5M in cap space. 

Sutter gets panned on here and it's not fair.  If they move him, watch him return to form.  They brought him back this year before they should have and it showed.  He needs to get his issues fixed properly.  He is a great piece defensively and is invaluable on a developing team.  I take him over Beagle every time.

Granny is another who is useful in just about any role

Teams like players like these and of course they have value.  As pieces of deals, they are certainly useful.  Edmonton could certainly use a defensively responsible pair.  

As for Lucic......:lol:.......enjoy YEG-town

23 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

No no no......you spin doctor!.....let's show the stats as they really are

Lucic

Eriksson

The thing is that Lucic is clearly trending down and LE is steady.  Luc is more durable but I would take Loui on the PK and in a defensive role.  The problem with LE is obviously his contract.  There is no value there but at least he has his uses

What spin?  I put their point totals and said you are betting that Lucic gets. A few more points than last season.

There is nothing saying that Lucic is going to get fewer points next season.  A slight bounce back in a new situation and he easily eclipses Eriksson’s “steady“ production.

Eriksson doesn’t bring anything on the PK that Beagle, Roussel, Motte, Horvat and Granlund do. 

Lucic brings something that we will probably otherwise go looking for in trh offseason.

22 minutes ago, shiznak said:

That’s a whole lot for the Oilers just for us to take on Lucic’s and Manning’s contract. Sutter’s value is worth very little at the moment. 3 major surgeries within 4 years and is often injured. Granlund is also worth next to nothing, known he’s a RFA, we either qualify him or let him walk to free agency and its most likely the latter. So, they can just grab him off free agency.

Last resort for them, they can just buyout Lucic and save up 2.5M in cap space. 

Puljujarvi is no longer waiver exempt and he's yet to prove he's a full time NHLer. so his value isn't much more than what we acquired baertschi for (who still had 2 months of wavier exemption).  We paid a 2nd for Sven. Granlund is a RFA but I don't see any reason why we wouldn't resigning him, he's an effective 3rd line winger and they type of player they need in their bottom 6. So I don't see why Puljujarvi and a cap dump in manning would be worth more than our early second and a reliable 3rd line winger.  Oilers have Benson and Marody who are likely to push to make the roster spot over Poolparty which makes him even more expendable.

Sutter's value is represented by his role.  Which just so happens to be the role that oilers really need. A shutdown center.  They attempted with Brodziak last year but he has aged quite a bit and ended up relying on RHN taking on the shutdown role. He also lead their team in PK minutes.  Getting a defined player to fill that role free's RNH up for more offensive roles.  Add in that Oilers are desperate to offload some cap space so that they can play part in signing a skilled winger this July to play along side McDavid. OIlers need to make playoffs next year.  There is zero teams that will take on Lucic without a extra package.  A New GM, high expectations and an unhappy superstar, so they will be all in, in improving their roster.  

Also Sutter Granlund and Chaisson would make a pretty solid 3rd line.

PS buying out for Lucic saves them 2.3 in cap space for year one, year two they'd be on the hook for 5.6, year three on the hook for 4.1, year four on the hook for 5.6 and then another 650k for another 4 years after. This is because they are paying him through high bonus, low salary which basically makes him buyout proof

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/milan-lucic/2019-06-15

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

Not interested in anymore “vets” especially ex bruins.

we need to rid the vets we have sutter spooner eriksdone schaller ect.... 

thats great he’ll come here now....... I think we’re good on washed up underperforming over paid ex bruin vets. We have met our quota.