The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't know if any team (And Milan gets to decide if he will go to that team) will think Puljujarvi is enough sweetener to take Lucic's contract.  Puljujarvi might be worth only a second round pick now, as one of the many stalled prospects out there?  Milan and a second round pick just doesn't seem enough.  

If ML agrees to waive his NMC in year 3 (or just for the expansion draft - like Seattle would take him anyways) then I would do the ML and JP for LE and perhaps even throw in Goldobin if it's needed (something I wouldn't want to do earlier in the year but it is clear that he is not a favourite of Travis Green). All players in this scenario need a change of scenery and I think the Canucks would stand to benefit the most. Putting JP with EP and Brock could turn that kid's career right around.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think that's the only acceptable move for the Canucks to make.  I'm sure he'll ask for a swap of first picks, but probably only as leverage.  There's going to be very little improvement in players at #8 and #10

You're right, 8th gets you a Taylor Pyatt (1999) and a 10th gets you Teemu Selanne (1988).    If you don't like those, Edmonton this year at 8 will get something like Derrick Pouliot (2012) and Canucks get Mikko Rantanen (2015).

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I would have thought his inability to skate at the pace required in today's NHL would be as important.

Except almost no one aside from people here have said that is true.

I heard Ferraro and a couple other guys talking about it over the past few weeks.  He is still at the top of the team in terms of conditioning and testing.  He still gets around the ice fine, he is able to make it to deliver hits... which he couldn’t do if he was as slow as people keep suggesting.  He was just handling the puck like it is a hand grenade... and that is more fixable than losing his legs.

Eriksson isn’t any faster, and he is definitely a guy who has lost his legs as well as his desire.

it is funny how people here just validate each other without questioning it.  Like Schenn was literally the slowest player in the league and didn’t have a chance to play another NHL game.  Turns out the reality is he was fine and good enough to be in our top 6. (Though our top six was admittedly terrible, and hopefully good enough next year that he is a 7-8). 

If I am going to put money on which guy produces more over the remaining year’s of their contracts... it is Lucic for sure.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I maintain the only way there's enough coming back to make sense to Van is:

To EDM: Eriksson, Goldobin, 10thOA

To VAN: Lucic, Puljujarvi, 8th OA and their 2nd rounder.

Take Goldobin out, take their 2nd out, and it still works.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Elliot Friedman suggested the ask from our end would be Puljujarvi. So it's within the realm of possibility and it's the only reason i'm suggesting this deal in the 1st place. We both know Lucic's contract is hot garbage. Puljujarvi is a pretty good sweetener though. Plus he's already asked for a trade. 

Complete speculation. No one credible has stated that he has asked for a trade, its been denied by his agent.

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

There is no need for “sweeteners”. This is a good trade straight up for both teams. 

Lucic’s stock went up with the Blues winning the cup. Every team needs physicality. Canucks have none!

It makes more sense to let Lucic fester in edm and screw their chances at signing players to improve their team, or keep the good players they have now.  If the Canucks are willing to do the Oil a huge favour, which is detrimental to Van itself, then it better come with a heckuva sweetener.  Pool party is a pretty sweet addition to the Canucks org.

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Very fair deal for both sides. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How can a player get 259 hits and finish 7th in the entire league in hits  if he has an inability to skate?

And how many hits did Loui have?  I read here it was something less than 10.  How can a guy play that much and get so few hit?

We want Milan!  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Except almost no one aside from people here have said that is true.

I heard Ferraro and a couple other guys talking about it over the past few weeks.  He is still at the top of the team in terms of conditioning and testing.  He still gets around the ice fine, he is able to make it to deliver hits... which he couldn’t do if he was as slow as people keep suggesting.  He was just handling the puck like it is a hand grenade... and that is more fixable than losing his legs.

Eriksson isn’t any faster, and he is definitely a guy who has lost his legs as well as his desire.

it is funny how people here just validate each other without questioning it.  Like Schenn was literally the slowest player in the league and didn’t have a chance to play another NHL game.  Turns out the reality is he was fine and good enough to be in our top 6. (Though our top six was admittedly terrible, and hopefully good enough next year that he is a 7-8). 

If I am going to put money on which guy produces more over the remaining year’s of their contracts... it is Lucic for sure.

Thanks for the post.  Only on CDC is Luke Schenn and Milan Lucic the worst skaters in the NHL and cannot even play in the league.  In reality however they both can play and they both have a big element to their game which we lack which is truculence and an ability to demolish the opposing player with a big hit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And how many hits did Loui have?  I read here it was something less than 10.  How can a guy play that much and get so few hit?

We want Milan!  

You got it Alfie.  People think Loui can do more for this team but the reality is he’s not a top 6 player and we have many players on this team that are better defensively and better suited for the bottom 6.  In Lucic however we have nobody as big and physical as him.  Nobody. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks for the post.  Only on CDC is Luke Schenn and Milan Lucic the worst skaters in the NHL and cannot even play in the league.  In reality however they both can play and they both have a big element to their game which we lack which is truculence and an ability to demolish the opposing player with a big hit.

I think Milan could really help Jake mature as a player too.  I remember seeing video of Guddy teaching Jake how to fight.  We need that type of leadership.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You got it Alfie.  People think Loui can do more for this team but the reality is he’s not a top 6 player and we have many players on this team that are better defensively and better suited for the bottom 6.  In Lucic however we have nobody as big and physical as him.  Nobody. 

It would be nice to see Schenn, Milan and Big Mac all in our lineup come next October.  We are way too easy to play against.  

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I agree - that there would need to be a worthwhile young player involved.  I like JP and would probably make that deal if he's included - particularly if Goldobin can be flipped for a pick in the process (probably a worthwhile gamble for Edmonton under the circumstances - so little production out of their wingers).

Benson is another guy that I'd alternatively want included in that deal - I think he'd be a good fit in Van.

A lot of people here keep forgetting/ignoring/are ignorant of the fact that Edmonton has literally no leverage in any deal attempting to dump Lucic - and his NMC - that post-dates the expansion draft.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1