The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Puljujarvi is no longer waiver exempt and he's yet to prove he's a full time NHLer. so his value isn't much more than what we acquired baertschi for (who still had 2 months of wavier exemption).  We paid a 2nd for Sven. Granlund is a RFA but I don't see any reason why we wouldn't resigning him, he's an effective 3rd line winger and they type of player they need in their bottom 6. So I don't see why Puljujarvi and a cap dump in manning would be worth more than our early second and a reliable 3rd line winger.  Oilers have Benson and Marody who are likely to push to make the roster spot over Poolparty which makes him even more expendable.

Sutter's value is represented by his role.  Which just so happens to be the role that oilers really need. A shutdown center.  They attempted with Brodziak last year but he has aged quite a bit and ended up relying on RHN taking on the shutdown role. He also lead their team in PK minutes.  Getting a defined player to fill that role free's RNH up for more offensive roles.  Add in that Oilers are desperate to offload some cap space so that they can play part in signing a skilled winger this July to play along side McDavid. OIlers need to make playoffs next year.  There is zero teams that will take on Lucic without a extra package.  A New GM, high expectations and an unhappy superstar, so they will be all in, in improving their roster.  

Also Sutter Granlund and Chaisson would make a pretty solid 3rd line.

Puljujarvi is only 21 years old and a former top 5 pick. I think he holds a little more value than what we paid for Bärtschi, who was perceived as a soft lazy player, who doesn’t engage in any physical plays. I seriously doubt they have already given up on Puljujarvi that quickly, even as a sweetner in a Lucic deal. I think it’s either one of Puljujavi or the 10th pick, not both.

IMO, Granlund is replaceable on this roster with the abundance of bottom six wingers and defensive forwards we already have.

Edited by shiznak

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

What spin?  I put their point totals and said you are betting that Lucic gets. A few more points than last season.

There is nothing saying that Lucic is going to get fewer points next season.  A slight bounce back in a new situation and he easily eclipses Eriksson’s “steady“ production.

Eriksson doesn’t bring anything on the PK that Beagle, Roussel, Motte, Horvat and Granlund do. 

Lucic brings something that we will probably otherwise go looking for in trh offseason.

The spin is that you put their last 3 seasons stats in reverse order so that you don't see the trend.  I'd be surprised if Lucic sees 10 goals again in his career let alone 20.  Lucic has fallen off the table and I think it's a really bad idea to take him on under any circumstances.  He possesses the unfortunate combination of poor skating, poor production and a $&!#ty buy out proof contract.  Getting older and slower is not a good idea if they have any ambition to make the playoffs. 

Surely Benning can find some grit who isn't like an albatross around his neck and can actually skate and play.  MacEwen springs to mind and the cost is little.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Puljujarvi is only 21 years old and a former top 5 pick. I think he holds a little more value than what we paid for Bärtschi, who was perceived as a soft lazy player, who doesn’t engage in any physical plays. I seriously doubt they have already given up on Puljujarvi that quickly, even as a sweetner in a Lucic deal. I think it’s either one of Puljujavi or the 10th pick, not both.

IMO, Granlund is replaceable on this roster with the abundance of bottom six wingers and defensive forwarders we already have.

I think something like Lucic (20% retained), pool party and 8th for Sutter, Schallar, 10th

Then trade Eriksson

5 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I think something like Lucic (20% retained), pool party and 8th for Sutter, Schallar, 10th

Then trade Eriksson

That could work, but If I’m trading for Lucic. I would want Eriksson going the other way, not Sutter. Losing Sutter means, Bo will need to take on a more of a defensive role. If you want Lucic to maximize his points output from a year ago. You need to play him along side Horvat and Pearson. I think that could be a solid second line. Lucic with Sutter and Spooner could work as well. As he has chemistry with both players (Junior Super Series and in Boston).

I think if LE has a good and productive WC then GMJB should start planting some rumors about LE not happy with usage, feels he can still be productive etc. Could be enough to lure some interest...

I wouldn’t mind Lucic on EP:s wing for a season or two but doubt it would happen. LE and Sutter or Tanev to Oilers for Pool party and a 2nd with some salary retained I’d do. 

We could use him to help protect EP and Hughes, so if the price is right and we can pry some assets out of the Oilers then why not? With Guddy gone, our toughest guy is a middleweight in Roussel, so having someone like Lucic on the 4th line makes sense.

• Cheers 1

The more I think about this the more I'm open to it. I could see Lucic getting reignited with the extra motivation of showing well in front of his hometown, especially with the baggage history (he would hate to look like an arse to his haters), and our young guys with Green would be a much better culture for him than the coilers broken one. The tough part is that it's one more year than LE, so if he isn't reborn then we're stuck with him for an extra year, so that's where all the hesitation for me comes into play. 

But, if it's a straight swap for LE then I think I'd rather have the big guy, as I just don't see LE being able to up his game at anymore, and he seems comfortable just riding the bench and collecting his dough. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Hypothetically speaking, who would do this? I know I'd be mighty tempted.

To EDM: Eriksson, 2019 VAN 2

To VAN: Lucic, 2019 EDM 1

I'd be happier with:

To EDM: Eriksson, Sutter 50% retained. 

To VAN: Lucic, Edmonton 1st. 

It would result in Edmonton having to move some players to make more cap room. But it would give them some forward depth and some defensive responsibility. 

Gives Vancouver the 8th and 10th spots in the first round. The team can draft a forward and a defenceman. 

• Cheers 1

If Eriksson is going the other way, we are not getting their 1st as we really would only be taking on an extra year of contract. But I could see for taking on that extra year with them giving as much as a Puljujarvi.

If we did retain on Sutter, I could see a deal where we could get back their 1st because they dump a ton of cap and contract and despite Sutter being injured often, he would fill a need for them if healthy.

No matter what happens, Lucic would have to waive all clauses in his contract because right now for Edmonton, his NMC means they have to protect him for the expansion and I'm certainly not going to that at any return they give us.

14 hours ago, brownky said:

Hard pass.

Still haven't forgotten about his comments back in 2011. Enjoy rotting in the cold.

I think we need to let that pass, his family was getting hassled pretty bad. It was over the top emotional at that time. 

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The spin is that you put their last 3 seasons stats in reverse order so that you don't see the trend.  

I just put them in the order I looked them up on my phone.

I also literally said in the post that last year was the low year for Lucic.  That isn't pretending his points have gone up.

If I knew you in real life, I would bet actual cash that he is going to get more points next season.  The downward trend is due in large part to a declining role in Edmonton.

Now is the time to buy low on him if it means getting some good assets back or unloading Eriksson.  

100 out of 100 times I would take a super competitive guy who just doesn’t have the production he used to than a disinterested floater who also isn’t producing.

Eriksson’s defensive play is overrated from people trying to justify that he can’t really be that bad.  The dude doesn’t even break a sweat during games, never mind charging back on a back check.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Not really, Edmonton offered millions more then any other team would...  oh and term.  

It shows what happens when you feel pressured to get a free agent over the summer.   Anyways, Lucic chose the team that wanted him the most (by far). 

He got 1 extra year, at the same aav . If you had a chance to play for your hometown/favourite team, you gotta weigh your options. For me i would have taken a year less term for my team

also Benning was targeting him im sure of this.  Lucic probably didnt expect the team to do that bad + he regressed too

Edited by teepain