Sign in to follow this  
falcon45ca

Poetry & Creative Writing

Posted (edited)

I saw the cunning man behind his own image of poverty; in his eyes were the fires of passion,--the blue burning marbles that resembled what was left of St. Elmo in the world of the living,--that could be instilled only by the benediction of the tragedy no more than one person would ever be permitted to know. They were calm eyes, I mean to say, which is why I give them such a reputation; but defeated by their gaze was anyone unholy, any and all he would have called ill or wrong. He dressed in rags and sat dead-eyed on the sidewalk everyday with his possessions on display for those passing by to judge him for, unknowing any other life and uncaring about what was thought of him--or caring only in that it may have given him satisfaction, the warm tingle of being sure of one's righteousness and the justness of the personal sway of his right hand, when all the others are walking the wrong way in a time of something spiritual but he has the courage to step first, not second, the other direction.

Edited by 112
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

It is; and it is here. The cacophony of all the voices, falling from this world to the next,--only some of them rising to better ones,--pleases the ears of virtue. After the sequence of minor and annoying changes life comprises, we have the end-days that the damned who walk with us through the ghettos and alleyways told us about--the greatest change hereto, the shifting away from all our senses into realms where only our will still exists. It is not a time to weep and throw tantrums, for there is no escaping the flux that has affected us throughout all our lives, only at different times with different speeds, sometimes so subtly like the dark figure that leaves the camouflage of the curtain sharing its colour to commit malice against those we care for, and otherwise violently, with strength of cannons, killing the personalities we used to have, ruthlessly enough that we forget we even had them; ineluctable is change, for if we refuse to do it, we die, overtaken by souls who don’t mind it, those who run through airs of glass and laugh at their own lacerations, their bloodied bodies a sculpture of their spirited spirits.

The burgeoning darkness of the streets and the wetness that runs down the streets slightly slanted at this hour of late evening, maybe night, affects my spirit wonderfully, for I have learned like the Greeks to rejoice and affirm life after all the tragedy has struck. I go to see the theatres; I do it every-day, walking amongst other actors but mostly people who don’t know they’re acting, robot-like individuals who are not individuated, those without the soul or expression necessary to ascend as I will, to go through the apotheosis prescribed by my masters and idols, the kings and queens I’ve met in my days who wore the crowns they crafted for themselves, the greatness of the few I’ve known who’ve seen, as I have, the shores beyond the end of the seas, the galaxies behind the edge of all. The pathology of man is his unconscious imitation. But I am not man.

Edited by 112
  • Upvote 1

Random thought, not creative writing but more for discussion:

This is obvious, I'm sure, to anyone who's actually studied poetry, but the form of it, it's clear to me now, is as important as the content; to become a great poet, one must have mastery of both the syntax and what it carries.

• Like 1

Didn't even

Feel it,

Didn't even

Need It

Every circle ends in the 

Death of

the

Radius

On our knees

we fall

Descending to

a crawl

the      ANIMUS

a FAULT,

Diameter 

of Salt

• Like 1

Makes it Hard

Makes me weep 

Make me think

We're All Sheep

Soft & Cold

Soft & Old

Softly death

Will take Hold

Cuz' we're lost

Cuz' we're sold

Cuz' the Lies

need be Told

I can't help 

that there's 

Pain

I just wish

that you weren't 

to

Blame

Gotta like Love

Kissed with a Fist

Once, twice? Nay, Thrice

Feel the ice melt

and the embers smoulder 

Into a cold decay

Rem'niscent of 

October

Say you want what I'd like,

"Do you want me to stay?"

Asked to Leave

and yet you stay

So it's my fault!

They called the Cops out!

Cuz' you hit me, then parked us

In traffic goin' 70

Chase me, across a parking lot

If I ask you 

To 

Stop

You 

Can

Not

• Hydration 1

I wrote these a few months ago; it's supposed to be dialogue, but I don't like either enough to work into a project. I'll share here instead. :)

--You know of me, but who knows me? Personalities are inferred by what: the inflexions of a person’s speech, the mannerisms that characterize them,--as in the waves of their hands, their gesticulations,--and how much less by their diction, the content of what they actually say and the meaning behind those utterances? Am I just an unknowable entity? I say again: he who knows me knows not me; he knows me only as I manifest to him, through the many projections his mind applies and through what the Buddhists call the aggregates--or some such psychological matrices, the psychic machines we are subject to but can never comprehend or speak of appropriately enough, for we lack a proper vocabulary or because one cannot exist. My values I can all say, but can I say why I value them such, really? How much of me is not me; as in, how much am I a product of what the psychologists call environment? And of genetics, is that me? Is there not a timeless me, one not bound by cause and effect, as Kant proposed--one outside of the physical world, without a beginning or end, purely spiritual, purely me? If there’s no freedom of will, there is nobody; and if there’s nobody, I am not. All of what I give to the world is borrowed from those I've met in my life: from the ill whose madness I entertained--the cute phrases they managed to communicate, surrounded by angry or humoured nonsense; from my mother whose true self I only ever saw come through in sarcastic idioms and not even then; from the television I’ve watched, the actors and actresses miming others yet before them? We’re all nothing but what we’ve seen. Personality is a tradition like any academic one, and we’re at the mercy of the influences before us in its timeline. It's all a plurality, never a singular person.

--Our imperative is to build so that we may fulfill our desire to be remembered. We craft our grandest thoughts into art and monuments for those younger souls who come after us to peer and awe at, so they may know us at our innermost; so that they may know us at our most vulnerable; so that they may know the flurries of our minds and the beauties they considered, imagined and made; so that they may know the immenseness in which we felt our pains and pleasures and learn that life orbits these moments of paramount; so that they may know and not forget us, and so our influence thereby does not cease with our bodies and we can establish happiness from our graves, from our place of timeless nonexistence, and in our isolation from all sense and sensibility still connect with others. So much does it ease our loneliness in the present to think of some other to whom we can today attach no labels or descriptions admiring the work we did in our lifetimes in theirs. We build so that we don't die and so we may be known. And let us be known, we say, for our greatness--for the greatness of the thoughts we immortalized in our passions and vocations and the greatness, too, that was our lives. But let us be known moreover as lighthouses which glowed long after being abandoned, warning of danger, advising those keener than us not to follow where our paths led to jagged rocks and disaster, for we sailed, as all do, often into it--like the tribesmen who ate wild berries, went through agony and perished, like the smoking uncle who developed a malignant cancer and turned his nieces away from that terrible plant, like the man who lived in arrogance and died alone: like them we are examples; like all we strive to be more.

• Like 1

Just now, 112 said:

I wrote these a few months ago; it's supposed to be dialogue, but I don't like either enough to work into a project. I'll share here instead. :)

--You know of me, but who knows me? Personalities are inferred by what: the inflexions of a person’s speech, the mannerisms that characterize them,--as in the waves of their hands, their gesticulations,--and how much less by their diction, the content of what they actually say and the meaning behind those utterances? Am I just an unknowable entity? I say again: he who knows me knows not me; he knows me only as I manifest to him, through the many projections his mind applies and through what the Buddhists call the aggregates--or some such psychological matrices, the psychic machines we are subject to but can never comprehend or speak of appropriately enough, for we lack a proper vocabulary or because one cannot exist. My values I can all say, but can I say why I value them such, really? How much of me is not me; as in, how much am I a product of what the psychologists call environment? And of genetics, is that me? Is there not a timeless me, one not bound by cause and effect, as Kant proposed--one outside of the physical world, without a beginning or end, purely spiritual, purely me? If there’s no freedom of will, there is nobody; and if there’s nobody, I am not. All of what I give to the world is borrowed from those I've met in my life: from the ill whose madness I entertained--the cute phrases they managed to communicate, surrounded by angry or humoured nonsense; from my mother whose true self I only ever saw come through in sarcastic idioms and not even then; from the television I’ve watched, the actors and actresses miming others yet before them? We’re all nothing but what we’ve seen. Personality is a tradition like any academic one, and we’re at the mercy of the influences before us in its timeline. It's all a plurality, never a singular person.

--Our imperative is to build so that we may fulfill our desire to be remembered. We craft our grandest thoughts into art and monuments for those younger souls who come after us to peer and awe at, so they may know us at our innermost; so that they may know us at our most vulnerable; so that they may know the flurries of our minds and the beauties they considered, imagined and made; so that they may know the immenseness in which we felt our pains and pleasures and learn that life orbits these moments of paramount; so that they may know and not forget us, and so our influence thereby does not cease with our bodies and we can establish happiness from our graves, from our place of timeless nonexistence, and in our isolation from all sense and sensibility still connect with others. So much does it ease our loneliness in the present to think of some other to whom we can today attach no labels or descriptions admiring the work we did in our lifetimes in theirs. We build so that we don't die and so we may be known. And let us be known, we say, for our greatness--for the greatness of the thoughts we immortalized in our passions and vocations and the greatness, too, that was our lives. But let us be known moreover as lighthouses which glowed long after being abandoned, warning of danger, advising those keener than us not to follow where our paths led to jagged rocks and disaster, for we sailed, as all do, often into it--like the tribesmen who ate wild berries, went through agony and perished, like the smoking uncle who developed a malignant cancer and turned his nieces away from that terrible plant, like the man who lived in arrogance and died alone: like them we are examples; like all we strive to be more.

I really enjoyed this, thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

I really enjoyed this, thank you.

That's a wonderful compliment. (Sometimes the simple ones are so impactful.) So thank you. ;) 

• Like 1

lol /lit/ got angry

unenlightened last men

The wind shivers, cold

Thy beauty, soft yet frozen

Thaws my sickly heart

Edited by falcon45ca