Sign in to follow this  
Dr. J.

Eriksson's 'friction'

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Jamie McClellan on 1040 just laid into LE.   Said he watched every Canucks game last season and Louie was wearing a suit under his jersey because he didn't want to break a sweat. Like he was playing like a 'contest winner'. lol

 

One thing in that interview: 

"Last two seasons I have played less and in a defensive role," Eriksson said, via Google Translate. "I also cannot make the same points as [I did] before if I do not play so much in the roles I had before. In this way, it is not really possible to compare, but I must do my best and fight on."

"Of course it is boring for that part," he added of the defensive role with decreased ice time.

 

Maybe its just the translation but it's BORING to play a more defensive role?  Sounds like he is saying the defensive role does not come with the same thrill and adulation as a top line goal scorer, and that is what's more important. Because from where I sit, a job that involves playing in the NHL, well paid, and you are checking the best players in the world does not seem 'boring'.  Look at the opposite kind of player...Burrows. Happy to play on any line. Even after his play tailed off, injuries didn't help, and after playing for years on one of the top lines in hockey history, he was taken off the Sedin line (for LE at one point) he never complained, and instead always looked at whatever role he had as a challenge to be the best at that role, if that is what the coach wanted. 

 

"do my best and fight on".  ie...slug out the rest of this game on this checking line, bored to death, playing with inferior line mates, thinking about what I'm going to do on the optional practice day tomorrow which of course I won't be attending"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eriksson's contract isn't that terrible anymore, especially not after July 1st. It's still a bad contract but it's not as terrible. He's paid most of the money he's owed, he's producing at a third line rate while being defensively responsible and playing a shutdown role. He has a limited NTC, so there's some flexibility there and I have a feeling he won't block too many trades since he's looking for a change of scenery. Retain salary on his contract for the next 3 years and suddenly you might be able to get a mid-late round pick for him from a contending team in need of depth and veteran leadership. Eriksson at 3-4 million is right there in value for what he's providing. It's not such a stretch anymore for a GM to take a chance on him if the Canucks retain salary.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Jamie McClellan on 1040 just laid into LE.   Said he watched every Canucks game last season and Louie was wearing a suit under his jersey because he didn't want to break a sweat. Like he was playing like a 'contest winner'. lol

 

One thing in that interview: 

"Last two seasons I have played less and in a defensive role," Eriksson said, via Google Translate. "I also cannot make the same points as [I did] before if I do not play so much in the roles I had before. In this way, it is not really possible to compare, but I must do my best and fight on."

"Of course it is boring for that part," he added of the defensive role with decreased ice time.

 

Maybe its just the translation but it's BORING to play a more defensive role?  Sounds like he is saying the defensive role does not come with the same thrill and adulation as a top line goal scorer, and that is what's more important. Because from where I sit, a job that involves playing in the NHL, well paid, and you are checking the best players in the world does not seem 'boring'.  Look at the opposite kind of player...Burrows. Happy to play on any line. Even after his play tailed off, injuries didn't help, and after playing for years on one of the top lines in hockey history, he was taken off the Sedin line (for LE at one point) he never complained, and instead always looked at whatever role he had as a challenge to be the best at that role, if that is what the coach wanted. 

 

"do my best and fight on".  ie...slug out the rest of this game on this checking line, bored to death, playing with inferior line mates, thinking about what I'm going to do on the optional practice day tomorrow which of course I won't be attending"

 

I've played on bottom lines with $&!#ty line-mates, it is super boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I've played on bottom lines with $&!#ty line-mates, it is super boring.

There may be a bit of a difference between wherever you played and NHL teams.  Even bottom players in the NHL are among the top 1000 players in the world. The speed, the talent. Also, a lot depends on attitude, and how hard you want to work. chasing down a breakaway, and knocking the puck away, preventing a scoring chance from an NHL star could also be rewarding and "exciting", I'd imagine. You may  not get the same kind of cheer from the crowd as a goal, but the coach would appreciate it. Its what you make of the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When he first came here he played with the twins and didn't produce (and a player like Hansen did) so I don't buy his whine about not being placed in a productive role ...that's a big cop out for his lack of production

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're seeing the faintest light at the end of the tunnel in Eriksson's contract, and people want to add one more year of Lucic to get rid of Eriksson. Lucic's contract is even worse than Eriksson's, smh at people who want to do a 1 to 1 swap. I got so excited at the idea of Lucic being a Canuck in the Sedin era, but he's done in the NHL. He can fight, that's it. Eriksson is still a 3rd liner, you do NOT want to pay that much money and term to a 4th liner in Lucic. We do need physical players, but Lucic is not a player anymore. There are plenty of other physical fish in the sea!

 

Image result for bruce nemo

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, J-P said:

That's not what he said.

 

In swedish: "Det är fortfarande kul att spela även om det är tråkigt att inte gå till slutspel och vi inte lyckas på den biten." 

In english: "It's still fun playing even though it's a shame not reaching the playoffs and have success on that level."

 

"Tråkigt" means "boring" in other contexts, Google translate is not that sophisticated...

I looked through the article in Swedish, and I think you picked out the paragraph in front of the one I quoted.

 

– Det är fortfarande kul att spela även om det är tråkigt att inte gå till slutspel och vi inte lyckas på den biten.

 

does translate into:

 

It is still fun to play even if it is sad not to go to the playoffs and we do not succeed on that bit.

 

 

But in the next paragraph he says:

 

– Som jag sa så har jag spelat i en defensiv roll hela säsongen och jag har inte haft så mycket istid. Självklart är det tråkigt för den delen.
– Samtidigt är det inte mycket jag kan göra. Det är bara att kämpa på och kroppen känns i alla fall bra.

 

which translates into:

 

As I said, I have played in a defensive role throughout the season and I have not had so much ice age. Of course it is boring for that part. - At the same time there is not much I can do. It's just to fight on and the body feels good anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kilgore said:

There may be a bit of a difference between wherever you played and NHL teams.  Even bottom players in the NHL are among the top 1000 players in the world. The speed, the talent. Also, a lot depends on attitude, and how hard you want to work. chasing down a breakaway, and knocking the puck away, preventing a scoring chance from an NHL star could also be rewarding and "exciting", I'd imagine. You may  not get the same kind of cheer from the crowd as a goal, but the coach would appreciate it. Its what you make of the situation.

I can understand that definitely, I just think it's ok for a guy who loves to score points to feel that way about a defensive role. If he truly feels that way, he needs to find a team that will play him there (which is what was promised to him when he signed this contract here) or go to a different league.

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I looked through the article in Swedish, and I think you picked out the paragraph in front of the one I quoted.

 

– Det är fortfarande kul att spela även om det är tråkigt att inte gå till slutspel och vi inte lyckas på den biten.

 

does translate into:

 

It is still fun to play even if it is sad not to go to the playoffs and we do not succeed on that bit.

 

 

But in the next paragraph he says:

 

– Som jag sa så har jag spelat i en defensiv roll hela säsongen och jag har inte haft så mycket istid. Självklart är det tråkigt för den delen.
– Samtidigt är det inte mycket jag kan göra. Det är bara att kämpa på och kroppen känns i alla fall bra.

 

which translates into:

 

As I said, I have played in a defensive role throughout the season and I have not had so much ice age. Of course it is boring for that part. - At the same time there is not much I can do. It's just to fight on and the body feels good anyway.

in other words  I suck so bad  that the coached plugged me on the 4th line and now its boring but its ok I don't have to try I still get paid so its ok    

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is like a kid in class always slacking off and getting bad grades then finally getting an A on a take home assignment that was just for practice and not for marks, then going to his friends complaining about how hes actually really smart but the teacher is picking on him and not letting him have good grades.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel the team has been very patient with Loui.  He has nobody to blame but himself for how he is being utilized on the ice.

 

I know things can get lost in translation, but for a guy who floats around on the ice and plays with very little passion, this article really does make him come across as a whining bitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Jamie McClellan on 1040 just laid into LE.   Said he watched every Canucks game last season and Louie was wearing a suit under his jersey because he didn't want to break a sweat. Like he was playing like a 'contest winner'. lol

 

One thing in that interview: 

"Last two seasons I have played less and in a defensive role," Eriksson said, via Google Translate. "I also cannot make the same points as [I did] before if I do not play so much in the roles I had before. In this way, it is not really possible to compare, but I must do my best and fight on."

"Of course it is boring for that part," he added of the defensive role with decreased ice time.

 

Maybe its just the translation but it's BORING to play a more defensive role?  Sounds like he is saying the defensive role does not come with the same thrill and adulation as a top line goal scorer, and that is what's more important. Because from where I sit, a job that involves playing in the NHL, well paid, and you are checking the best players in the world does not seem 'boring'.  Look at the opposite kind of player...Burrows. Happy to play on any line. Even after his play tailed off, injuries didn't help, and after playing for years on one of the top lines in hockey history, he was taken off the Sedin line (for LE at one point) he never complained, and instead always looked at whatever role he had as a challenge to be the best at that role, if that is what the coach wanted. 

 

"do my best and fight on".  ie...slug out the rest of this game on this checking line, bored to death, playing with inferior line mates, thinking about what I'm going to do on the optional practice day tomorrow which of course I won't be attending"

 

The translation is a bit off... The boring bit is interpreted wrong... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds like a guy who is just tired of getting bagged on and who needs a change of scenery.  

 

Maybe this is Eriksson's way of saying he wouldnt be against being moved, or maybe theyve already had these discussions. 

 

But that contract sure wont make it easy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The translation is a bit off... The boring bit is interpreted wrong... 

Are you Swedish? Or write Swedish? Or anyone else?  I'm genuinely curious then as to what these lines actually say, or what a person who understands both languages would interpret that line as:

 

– Som jag sa så har jag spelat i en defensiv roll hela säsongen och jag har inte haft så mycket istid. Självklart är det tråkigt för den delen.
– Samtidigt är det inte mycket jag kan göra. Det är bara att kämpa på och kroppen känns i alla fall bra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.