The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDN legal system.

CDN legal system.

Jamie Bacon was arrested in April 2009 in regards to the Surrey 6 horribly sad murders....

10 years ago now.

Still not gone to court .

Is our legal . / court system completely broken... ?  Do CDN victims of crime have any rights ?

Edited by kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

CDN legal system.

Jamie Bacon was arrested in April 2009 in regards to the Surrey 6 horribly sad murders....

10 years ago now.

Is our legal . / court system completely broken... ?  Do CDN victims of crime have any rights ?

Yep, the system is completely broken and easy, like most things in Canada are. That is why immigrants come here - easy country with soft people running the show. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

CDN legal system.

10 years ago now.

Has he not been in prison the last 10 years?

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yes he has.  Charged but not convicted.

I would think the victims families to move forward in their grief process would like to see convictions and sentencing etc   Just some conclusion to this terrible crime.

10 years waiting for trial is a joke.....   and to me is not fair to the victims. 

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

not the same. If he does get convicted, he will most likely instantly walk free, since time in custody pre-trial is credited at 2x the time in custody post trial. And if his lawyer pulls a technicality and he wins, he will counter-sue and win for unlawful imprisonment and walk away with millions. 

According to this CBC article from a year and a half ago, the charges against Bacon were stayed, while two other people were convicted for the Surrey Six murders.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/surrey-six-stay-charges-bacon-1.4438135

As far as I can tell, Bacon is currently in jail for something else. An attempted murder of an associate that he had ordered (also about 10 years ago):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jamie-bacon-trial-underway-in-vancouver-10-years-after-alleged-offence-1.5005513

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

According to this CBC article from a year and a half ago, the charges against Bacon were stayed, while two other people were convicted for the Surrey Six murders.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/surrey-six-stay-charges-bacon-1.4438135

As far as I can tell, Bacon is currently in jail for something else. An attempted murder of an associate that he had ordered (also about 10 years ago):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jamie-bacon-trial-underway-in-vancouver-10-years-after-alleged-offence-1.5005513

Yah, maybe you are right.. He is also accused of ordering the killing of his former partner DK.    The attempted murder happened in Mission BC but was unsuccessful. I  think that case is going on now....

Isn't there a statute of limitations on keeping a person in pre-trial? I'm not sure, but if the conviction doesn't go to trial before a certain amount of time (2 years?), are the charges dropped? I heard something like that and I couldn't believe it. I know someone who could be facing 25+ years, but he's been in pre-trial for over a year waiting.

31 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes he has.  Charged but not convicted.

I would think the victims families to move forward in their grief process would like to see convictions and sentencing etc   Just some conclusion to this terrible crime.

10 years waiting for trial is a joke.....   and to me is not fair to the victims. 

Don't know anything about this case but isn't 10 years in jail without a trail also unfair to the accused?

7 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Don't know anything about this case but isn't 10 years in jail without a trail also unfair to the accused?

Depends on the circumstances... The first case was pretty much a dumpster fire from the beginning with all the screw ups by the investigators. This all would have been dragged out in hearings prior to trial and if initiated by the accused would work against them arguing the time in ptc is unfair. That said, again in this case, mainly due to those mistakes and to a lesser extent others involved being convicted, cooperating etc, JB would probably have walked if they had not stayed the charges. Wont comment on the current charge.

To answer the OP: yes the legal system is completely broken... For as long as i have known/experienced it. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Isn't there a statute of limitations on keeping a person in pre-trial? I'm not sure, but if the conviction doesn't go to trial before a certain amount of time (2 years?), are the charges dropped? I heard something like that and I couldn't believe it. I know someone who could be facing 25+ years, but he's been in pre-trial for over a year waiting.

Who really in Canada gets 25+ years in prison though?

While I'm against the death penalty I believe a life sentence should be exactly that....life in prison.  

26 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who really in Canada gets 25+ years in prison though?

While I'm against the death penalty I believe a life sentence should be exactly that....life in prison.  

25 years BEFORE they get a chance at Parole. Doesn't mean he/she will ever get it. Using Pickton as an example, he is technically serving 25 years, but he will never get paroled so its irrelevant. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

25 years BEFORE they get a chance at Parole. Doesn't mean he/she will ever get it. Using Pickton as an example, he is technically serving 25 years, but he will never get paroled so its irrelevant. 

Most of so called lifers get paroled after 25 years.

There's a whole lot of non-lawyers spouting incorrect information on here. I also note that @canuckistani is one again bashing another aspect of Canadian society without any evidence or actual facts to back up what he is saying.

There have been recent improvements to time limits regarding the amount of time the Crown has to bring a matter to trial. Here is an article citing actual facts and cases: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-speedy-trial-1.3670079

There are many inefficiencies in the Canadian legal system, but most of them to get acknowledged and dealt with over time. There are many areas that need improvement, but pretending like we have a "completely broken"  system just highlights your true ignorance.

• Upvote 4

The Surrey 6 trial was screwed because one of the RCMP investigators was drinking with and sleeping with one of the witnesses, rumoured to be Bacon's GF. 

Stay classy, RCMP.

The same RCMP who do absolutely nothing but give J-walking tickets while Surrey Jacks shoot each other for the right to sell drugs for the HA. The RCMP know this, EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS, yet they do nothing because they're corrupt and on the take.