Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

WCF: (P2) San Jose Sharks vs. (C3) St. Louis Blues | Blues win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Conference Finals  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sorry for over posting,this one has me fired up though.

Wasn't there a game involving the Canucks in the last few years where the refs reviewed a play even though they weren't allowed to? I have a vague memory of that.

I'm surprised Toronto didn't get on the phone with the refs and say "F$%^ procedure guys, get this one right".

You aren’t over posting. What you’re saying makes good sense. 

• Upvote 3

As much as this is sort of a bad call post game they were talking like it might have actually hit the Blues dman's leg before it got to the shot. I didn't see for sure either way from the replay angle they showed. 

Secondly to me this sort of feels like the Av's offside call where the guy changing was over the line but clearly out of the play and has nothing to do with the goal. Or countless plays directing the puck in the net with a skate without a kicking motion. Rule is no hand passes but it's honesly not like the hand contact was an actual "pass". Like it could have just as easily deflected off his arm or someone's shinpad the same way. Considering he was already down in his knees, It just doesn't honestly feel like the "hand pass" really affected the outcome of the shot at least.

I guess I just feel like calling back a goal for that reason on this play is weak anyways. I'd rather not have them take it back. Compounded with the other calls going the Sharks way though it does stink like it's been rigged. 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Plays of this nature are not reviewable. A hand pass that goes into the net can be reviewed but a hand pass between teammates cannot be reviewed.”

How someone can say the above statement with any seriousness is beyond me. 

If the fist is clenched(looks masculine) & this play occurs, it's an okay glove-hand, puck-disc, man-pass, eh?

On the other hand(pardon pun), if it's some namby-pamby, limp-wristed swatting of the puck, I'd like a review of the goal, & skater's lifestyle.

Hope that clears up this event, PB. Greatest league in the world, right?!

• Haha 1

One of the craziest games I’ve seen in years, though. Just a barn burner!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If the fist is clenched(looks masculine) & this play occurs, it's an okay glove-hand, puck-disc, man-pass, eh?

On the other hand(pardon pun), if it's some namby-pamby, limp-wristed swatting of the puck, I'd like a review of the goal, & skater's lifestyle.

Hope that clears up this event, PB. Greatest league in the world, right?!

You said, Man pass.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Kushman said:

sadly nothing will happen

The GM will probably get fined for being right. Don't you dare speak up against the holy refs

im so sick of this garbage. 

It's the GMs that decide on the NHL rule book.  He needs to speak up at their next meeting and suggest a change.  Pietroangelo is  or at least used to be on the competition committee who has to sign off on the rules.

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Plays of this nature are not reviewable. A hand pass that goes into the net can be reviewed but a hand pass between teammates cannot be reviewed.”

How someone can say the above statement with any seriousness is beyond me. 

Because that's how the GMs defined the rules - they are the ones that set the rule book and the refs have to go by it.  

The one for 2018/19 can be downloaded here:    http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Sorry for over posting,this one has me fired up though.

Wasn't there a game involving the Canucks in the last few years where the refs reviewed a play even though they weren't allowed to? I have a vague memory of that.

I'm surprised Toronto didn't get on the phone with the refs and say "F$%^ procedure guys, get this one right".

This is what kind of went through my mind after this finished, but the one against Vancouver I can't remember it exactly just part of it, but it was the referees who decided to have a meeting I believe after one of our goals and they decided to change their mind and make it no goal after, but the whole issue was it was a play that wasn't reviewable anyways but they over turned it themselves instead, so we were screwed no matter what. 

So when I saw this play today even though it's not reviewable, I was shocked that not even 1 out of the 4 of them didn't see it so they could overturn it and make the right call, like they supposedly did when it happened to the Canucks. 

Did some searching on YouTube and I think I found it :towel:

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

Bush league....

rules are rules... unfortunately rules like these makes the officials the main figures in the games and their integrity questionable whether its right or wrong, That goal probably wins Sharks this round...

Edited by spook007
  • Hydration 1

Lol at all the whiners saying Sanjose doesn’t deserve a cup if they win. You have to be lucky sob’s to win a cup. And I don’t get why these are magnified so much because this garbage happens all the time.

Mainly in favour of Boston for some reason but no one complains about them. Go figure....

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Interview with NHL series director Kay Whitmore about the call.  The GMs define the rule book and they have not made that kind of play reviewable:

Edited by mll
  • Hydration 1

8 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I love how this comes from a guy who won the stanely cup because of a blown call lol sit down marty

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, mll said:

Because that's how the GMs defined the rules - they are the ones that set the rule book and the refs have to go by it.  

The one for 2018/19 can be downloaded here:    http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

The league meddles in playoff games all the time and when they choose not to meddle in something this blatant its kinda obvious who they want to win, Boston. We all know the Sharks suck and have no chance against them.

9 hours ago, LarsEller said:

As much as this is sort of a bad call post game they were talking like it might have actually hit the Blues dman's leg before it got to the shot. I didn't see for sure either way from the replay angle they showed. 

Secondly to me this sort of feels like the Av's offside call where the guy changing was over the line but clearly out of the play and has nothing to do with the goal. Or countless plays directing the puck in the net with a skate without a kicking motion. Rule is no hand passes but it's honesly not like the hand contact was an actual "pass". Like it could have just as easily deflected off his arm or someone's shinpad the same way. Considering he was already down in his knees, It just doesn't honestly feel like the "hand pass" really affected the outcome of the shot at least.

I guess I just feel like calling back a goal for that reason on this play is weak anyways. I'd rather not have them take it back. Compounded with the other calls going the Sharks way though it does stink like it's been rigged. 

After watching the replay in slow motion from 3 different angles there’s a good argument not to overturn the call on the ice. Timo Meirer open hand gloves the puck, but swings his stick and it appears to make the slightest contact before Nyquist takes the pass and dishes to Karlsson.

2 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

I love how this comes from a guy who won the stanely cup because of a blown call lol sit down marty

C'mon Twilight - you can't tell me that if that call went against the Sharks last night you wouldn't feel the same way? Honestly even if it went against the Bruins I'd still feel the way I do - officiating in this league has become a joke. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

The fact that the NHL had their "very best" working that game and still blew a call speaks volumes to the problem in this league. There were 4 of the best on the ice and they missed a hand pass? This tells me that either the officials we have are not competent enough or the game has become so fast that video review needs to be expanded. What blows me away si that we have video review for certain infractions but not others. To me any infraction which would result in a whistle should be reviewable by the league. Take it out of the refs hands and let the "professionals" in Toronto review it. All this talk of speeding up the game is a joke. The same people who want the game to end faster are the ones who have the dumbest play in sports - the Shootout - how many of those end after 3 rounds? Want the game to end faster..... after 60 minutes if the game is tied its over both teams get a point. No 3 on 3 OT - no shootout. Boom game over.