Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

WCF: (P2) San Jose Sharks vs. (C3) St. Louis Blues | Blues win series 4-2

Rate this topic

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs | Conference Finals  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm starting to wonder if the style the sharks have him playing now is making him more injury prone. It seems now with the sharks then say with Ottawa he's been told to stay at home more and trust his forwards to generate the offense, he doesn't take those rushes from his own end as much anymore like he used to do in Ottawa all the time, so he's playing a more conservative stay at home D which is good, but by doing this it's having him take more hits in his own end now from the opponent's forwards finishing their checks, his body isn't used to this and it's starting to catch up on him I believe.

He doesn't do those rushes like he did in Ottawa because he has been playing with a groin injury since March. He is not “injury prone” he is simply currently injured and clearly not 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, riffraff said:

No.

 

but in all seriousness I’ll take kanes speed over Maroon’s.

 

jeez that must have been tough for you Oldy.

But you don't get to 'take' Kane's speed though - he's signed to 2025 - at a 7 million cap hit btw - and would cost you assets comparable to what they spent to get him in the 1st place.

 

What I'm really talking about is a placeholder that brings a number of the elements that line could use - while the team continues to build longer term.  The low cost/risk aspect of what he brings is worth thinking about im.

 

Maroon may not have that speed - but he's a 1 yr x 1.75 million expiring contract - and at his age, role and production, that's likely where his market value lies/remains moving forward.

 

Maroon - might not be a terrible stop gap - something I would take that over chasing bigger fish = small, skilled and highly expensive UFAs on the market - who I'd bypass altogether (pass on Panarin, pass on Skinner etc).   For me it would be Nelson/Lee midrange type at the higher end of my list of players I pursue, and then a short term Maroon as an admittedly second tier placeholder option, but critically, one that is very low risk, and enables the team to retain all it's cap flexibility moving forward - he simply joins the class of Roussel, Beagle, et al for the time being.

I know it's odd to read this coming out of me, but the option is kind of growing on me.  It's somewhat similar imo to targetting a guy like Stralman - as opposed to chasing highly costly/risky Karlson types....Stralman at 32 yrs of age - is likely a willing shorter term 'placeholder' at this point - and at this stage, that's something I'd value more than high risks.  Both these players would also be potential rental flips who might - like Vanek - if the playoffs are not in the cards here (yet).  Neither of them complicate the expansion outlook.  Neither of them are necessarily committed to over a terma that would/could get in the way of an emerging young player.  That would be my more conservative (than most)  'plan' at this point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

He doesn't do those rushes like he did in Ottawa because he has been playing with a groin injury since March. He is not “injury prone” he is simply currently injured and clearly not 100%

Oh so before March he was always rushing up like he used to do in Ottawa? I really don't follow their team so not sure at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Oh so before March he was always rushing up like he used to do in Ottawa? I really don't follow their team so not sure at all.

He's made a few this season, I don't watch the Sharks all that much either but he was noticeably better the first half of the season when healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

But you don't get to 'take' Kane's speed though - he's signed to 2025 - at a 7 million cap hit btw - and would cost you assets comparable to what they spent to get him in the 1st place.

 

What I'm really talking about is a placeholder that brings a number of the elements that line could use - while the team continues to build longer term.  The low cost/risk aspect of what he brings is worth thinking about im.

 

Maroon may not have that speed - but he's a 1 yr x 1.75 million expiring contract - and at his age, role and production, that's likely where his market value lies/remains moving forward.

 

Maroon - might not be a terrible stop gap - something I would take that over chasing bigger fish = small, skilled and highly expensive UFAs on the market - who I'd bypass altogether (pass on Panarin, pass on Skinner etc).   For me it would be Nelson/Lee midrange type at the higher end of my list of players I pursue, and then a short term Maroon as an admittedly second tier placeholder option, but critically, one that is very low risk, and enables the team to retain all it's cap flexibility moving forward - he simply joins the class of Roussel, Beagle, et al for the time being.

I know it's odd to read this coming out of me, but the option is kind of growing on me.  It's somewhat similar imo to targetting a guy like Stralman - as opposed to chasing highly costly/risky Karlson types....Stralman at 32 yrs of age - is likely a willing shorter term 'placeholder' at this point - and at this stage, that's something I'd value more than high risks.  Both these players would also be potential rental flips who might - like Vanek - if the playoffs are not in the cards here (yet).  Neither of them complicate the expansion outlook.  Neither of them are necessarily committed to over a terma that would/could get in the way of an emerging young player.  That would be my more conservative (than most)  'plan' at this point.

 

It makes sense especially the finanacials.

 

ill leave it to you to try and get kassian back.:)

 

man I would be constantly double taking if I saw maroon in the blue and green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, canuck73_3 said:

He's made a few this season, I don't watch the Sharks all that much either but he was noticeably better the first half of the season when healthy. 

Well when you basically shut down my opinion you made it sound like you have been watching them all year and my suggestion couldn't even be possible, obviously when he's not injured he's playing better lol, but why, was what I was trying to figure out and taking more hits in his own end could cause that if Sharks have told him to not be out of position as much like he was in Ottawa all the time. That's the reason I wasn't a fan of him he always and I mean always handcuffed Ottawa if he didn't score on his rush, and I really don't think the Sharks wanted him doing that as much. Again I don't follow them either, but I do know through out the year watching highlights of games I didn't see that in his game as much anymore this year, definitely not as much as he used to do in Ottawa he's definitely more defensively minded this year, and obviously now with the injury that's all he can do, that's understandable when injured.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm starting to wonder if the style the sharks have him playing now is making him more injury prone. It seems now with the sharks then say with Ottawa he's been told to stay at home more and trust his forwards to generate the offense, he doesn't take those rushes from his own end as much anymore like he used to do in Ottawa all the time, so he's playing a more conservative stay at home D which is good, but by doing this it's having him take more hits in his own end now from the opponent's forwards finishing their checks, his body isn't used to this and it's starting to catch up on him I believe.

His agent was on a radio show last week saying that he is not 100% and the Sharks knew it at the start of the playoffs.  He says Karlsson will need time after the playoffs to get healthy again.  It's likely still the groin injury.  

 

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well when you basically shut down my opinion you made it sound like you have been watching them all year and my suggestion couldn't even be possible, obviously when he's not injured he's playing better lol, but why, was what I was trying to figure out and taking more hits in his own end could cause that if Sharks have told him to not be out of position as much like he was in Ottawa all the time. That's the reason I wasn't a fan of him he always and I mean always handcuffed Ottawa if he didn't score on his rush, and I really don't think the Sharks wanted him doing that as much. Again I don't follow them either, but I do know through out the year watching highlights of games I didn't see that in his game as much anymore this year, definitely not as much as he used to do in Ottawa he's definitely more defensively minded this year, and obviously now with the injury that's all he can do, that's understandable when injured.

Erik Karlsson is one of my favourite players in the league so while I don't follow the Sharks I do follow him. He has had quite a few rushes like he did the Sens but virtually none since the injury in March.

 

They are an older team and he does pick and choose when he does those rushes, less likely to do so with Thornton on the ice for example. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, riffraff said:

It makes sense especially the finanacials.

 

ill leave it to you to try and get kassian back.:)

 

man I would be constantly double taking if I saw maroon in the blue and green.

I was scheming  about that earlier...

 

To Deadmonton

Eriksson

Goldobin

Schaller

To Van

Lucic (NMC terminated)

8th overall

Benson

Kassian

sign Maroon.

Not sure who centers it lol, but presenting the FU  line...

Lucic Maroon Kassian

Edited by oldnews
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong, I am one of the biggest canucks fans ever. Been following them ever since I can remember, and my basement is filled with memorabilia. But I've been cheering from the Blues since the start of the playoffs and they've quietly became my 2nd favorite team atm. With that said, I hope they get it done tomorrow and then march into Boston and stomp the fck outta them. 

  • Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I was scheming  about that earlier...

 

To Deadmonton

Eriksson

Goldobin

Schaller

To Van

Lucic (NMC terminated)

8th overall

Benson

Kassian

sign Maroon.

Not sure who centers it lol, but presenting the FU  line...

Lucic Maroon Kassian

How did that work out for Edmonton? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spur1 said:

How did that work out for Edmonton? 

horribly.

like the contract they gave Lucic.

and the expansion draft if they don't manage to shed it.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Don't get me wrong, I am one of the biggest canucks fans ever. Been following them ever since I can remember, and my basement is filled with memorabilia. But I've been cheering from the Blues since the start of the playoffs and they've quietly became my 2nd favorite team atm. With that said, I hope they get it done tomorrow and then march into Boston and stomp the fck outta them. 

Yeah - at the start of the playoffs I was pulling for Winnipeg - but I absolutely did not like them drawing St Louis in the first round, probably the NHL's best team heading into the playoffs (the CBJ and Carolina also went on good runs to end the regular season and pull into playoff spots, but St Louis had been dominant for months).....I think that's certainly as much of an advantage as home ice in the end.

The Blues were shockingly bad the first half - but that roster is really well built imo - I think I'd give them an edge over Boston - my money would be on the Blues.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I was scheming  about that earlier...

 

To Deadmonton

Eriksson

Goldobin

Schaller

To Van

Lucic (NMC terminated)

8th overall

Benson

Kassian

sign Maroon.

Not sure who centers it lol, but presenting the FU  line...

Lucic Maroon Kassian

Done.

 

that line would be all kinds of “ugly hockey player.”

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Passionately pulling for the Sharks!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To continue this run of injuries next season. Have a HORRENDOUS '19-20 season, actually missing the PO's; then unbelievably winning the draft lotto, to gift a top pick to the Mighty SENS!(EK trade result) Always seems Cdn teams are handing high picks away..time to reverse trend.

 

btw: Hope St Loo finished these bums, & can go all the way.

Niceeeee....:)

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharks have no Karlsson and no Hertl. Pavelski is a game time decision. Unless someone steps up big time, this series is most likely over tonight. 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dombrova22 said:

Sharks have no Karlsson and no Hertl. Pavelski is a game time decision. Unless someone steps up big time, this series is most likely over tonight. 

Good.  Sharks have lots of players who are easy to dislike.  

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good.  Sharks have lots of players who are easy to dislike.  

And some easy to like too.

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.